Hot Rod Chassis Building Info Wanted

Moderator: DLRA

panhead_pete

Hot Rod Chassis Building Info Wanted

Post by panhead_pete »

Hi Guys
Starting to do some serious planning for a build and am wondering if there are any applicable books or articles specific to building a car for the salt that I should be reading prior to chassis design. Car will be built to meet TAC Guidelines, NHRA and WA rego as well. I'm a fan of doing things right the first time and whilst I may never see 200+ mph I would like to design everything with that target in mind.
Cheers
Pete
Dreaming of the salt in 08.
nitro-nige

Post by nitro-nige »

What class are planning to run in pete?

For NHRA & DLRA I'd run a full space frame.
For TAC & WA reg you might only be allowed a roll bar or small cage around the driver using original or repro chassis rails.
panhead_pete

Post by panhead_pete »

Under the TAC guidelines here in WA the chassis need to be made from an original or RHS (100x50x3mm) and its unlikley Id ever get a space frame rego'd and I want to be able to use the car more frequently then just at the drags and DLRA.

I have a 29 Tudor in a shed, as we all should :wink: ,

which would be choppeed and channelled to the bottom of the frame rail (not sure what class that would be - coupe????) that Im considering using or will go street roadster (STR??) with an A based body. Am seriously considering buying an unblown Merlin BBC (572) to start with although have a 500 caddy motor too. One idea is to build the tudor with the caddy mill for '08, get some experience then maybe stepping up to the 572 in a roadster the year after and seriously chase the 200.
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

Considering what a steel Model Tudor would be worth to the right person I'd say go for a pre-chopped fibreglass - at least it won't rust one the salt :wink:
panhead_pete

Post by panhead_pete »

The only reason I have steered away from 'glass is the fear of a fire. Am I being paranoid, considering I'd need 2 extinguishers systems anyway????
the randy dero

Lets get back to the question.

Post by the randy dero »

I'd like to ask the same question that Panhead Pete asked. Do any of you know if there's a book dealing with chassis for salt racing? Where to buy? There must be somewhere.
Stephen
Dr Goggles

Dero!!!

Post by Dr Goggles »

.....that's the best sign-on name I've heard :lol: :lol:

....can't help with the question at hand , sorry, all I can suggest is go to landracing.com and search the topics there.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

You beat me to it Dr. I was going to suggest checking the build pages on Landracing.com. I cruise the bookshops and web pretty often and there ain't too much on salt racing.

Lynchy
panhead_pete

Post by panhead_pete »

This is VERY topical for me know as I have just bought a Window Coupe body and will building a street/strip/salt car want the build to comply with DLRA, ANDRA and WA rego rules.
the randy dero

BB2

Post by the randy dero »

Ohio State University kids designed and built the Buckeye Special. Google takes you to it. Hydrogen fuel cell, Electric motor, 315 mph. 10 page writeup on it.
Stephen
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Pete, you need to build to your lowest common denominator.
In this case it's the regulations around the WA rego rules that will cuase you the most grief in term of what you can and can't do.
ANDRA and DLRA are competition rules and do not require any where near the compliance that WA rego will.

So that's your start point.
You want to build a car you can drive on the street.
So it's original chassis or RHS, engine displacement restrictions, lights, wipers etc.
But then you want to race it so there will be (safety) modifications that you will have to make to get through scruitineering, such as roll cage, racing belt, scattershield, fire suppression.

The car will always be a compromise, but it can be done.
You've got a lot of reading to do.........

For WA street rod rego information go here

For National Street Rod Guidelines go here

For DLRA rules go here

For ANDRA policy go here and classes go here
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor