Tail End Charlie

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

DLRA
Site Admin

Tail End Charlie

Post by DLRA »

My partner & myself were at the Lake last year, we are the people that took the Tractor, for the very first time a Tractor has been officialy timed at the salt, people thought we were crazy but the following story tops that.

On the 19th of August (This Sunday) we are driving our DRLA Chamberlain Tractor (Top speed 55.8MPH) around Australia to commemorate the 50th year anniversary of the Mobilgas Rally event that took place in 1957.

There are approx 6 - 8 vehicles in support which are leaving with us and people are dropping off and picking up from all over Australia.

On the journey we will be travelling clockwise around Australia doing approx 15,000km in 38 days.

Whilst travelling around Australia we will be collecting money and campaigning for Prostate Cancer & Breast Cancer.

There were 6 guys who did the original Redex & Mobilgas rallies that the Original tractor was involved in as a sweep for the broken down vehicles, we have tracked down Ron Bywaters, John Cummins, Thelma Boyd who is Arthur Boyds widow, Jimmy Hawker and we are yet to find 1 missing link who is Len Willshire who we are trying to find.

The following web site is full of information that will give you more information if you need it. www.tailendcharliethetractor.org

We have been sponsored by Perkins Engines, Penrite, Ian Grants Caravans, BJ Bearings , Hardman Bros etc etc etc

I would really like it if you could post this on the DLRA web site and for people that look up the itinery we may be going thru a town that they live in, would love to see them all!!!!
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Bugger.
Found this a day to late.
I'm in Keith S.A. and could have supported this with others.
My father used to be involved with the trails in a Peugeot.

I can not beleive I hadn't heard about this sooner.
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Yeh Rocket did the same thing, some of my crew live in Tailem bend and they had meet the chamberlan crew at a swap meet, I rang them the morning they where supposed to be coming thru, but no one new anything about it,,, shame they didn't post it sooner, after telling my friends about it they would liked to have a goosey gander aswell...
maybe there on there warm up lap and you might be able to catch them on the Hot lap next month,,,,,,
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

DirtyDave wrote:maybe there on there warm up lap and you might be able to catch them on the Hot lap next month,,,,,,

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well it was on the juke box today (bit late again)
They want support, but I hadn't seen or heard a thing until this post.

Rocket.
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
the randy dero

Post by the randy dero »

Was that the Mobilgas or RedeX trial? I know Ken Tubman won the first RedeX in a Pug, don't remember Mobilgas Trials.
Stephen
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I don't remember either (I'm not over 50.......yet !)
I beleive my old man was involved in the Redex ones, I really should have a chat about them one day and find out what he did and when.

Yes, he's a made Pug nut too. As a kid we even dragged a camper trailer out to lake Eyre when it filled, 2wd Pug.... no worries, get bogged, break down, who cares, "Lifes one big adventure he used to say" I agree!!
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
the randy dero

Post by the randy dero »

Call me a racist if you want, I do not like the French. Having said that, there a 3 frogmobiles in my "Cars of note" list. These are Citroen light 15 and 2cv, and Peugeot 203. Ken Tubman drove a 203 to victory in the 53(?) RedeX. Fyi, I am over 50. I did not plan to be here this long, but I am still kicking and, I still do not trust anyone over 30. javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Laughing
Stephen
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I have trouble trusting anyone under 30 :lol: :lol:
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
the randy dero

Post by the randy dero »

I have trusted people and paid for it. Age is actually irrelevant, but I still tell younger people not to trust anybody over 30. When they say " You're over 30" I deny it.
Stephen
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
the randy dero

Post by the randy dero »

Time to have my tablet and glass of warm milk. Night all.
Stephen
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Well, it got the better of me, so I phoned the old man.
He was in a trial, not involved on a regular basis :shock: as I thought.
So how wrong was I (for years I thought he was in the trails for some time)
He knows of Ken. '53 Redex trial being the first one which he also won.
I suspect dad remembers him because he was in a Pug.

Shit happens :lol:
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
panhead_pete

Post by panhead_pete »

When you get to Perth get hold of me, I can put you up in my place.
Dreaming of the salt in 08.