Tube bender?

Moderator: DLRA

BONES

tube bender

Post by BONES »

David try cdw (cold drawn welded) it is fairly common in dragracing , used for sedan cages.Cheaper than cds.
cheers
Bones
David Leikvold

another good suggestion

Post by David Leikvold »

Thanks for the tip Mr B, it hasn't come too late because I haven't bought any tube yet. Mostly because there are plenty of other free things I could do before that, not the least of which is finish clearing the wreckage from that bloody Volvo out of the backyard (see my Celica thread elsewhere). So tomorrow I'll go hunting for CDW. Hope you're feeling much better, see you in March.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
whitworthsocket

Re: another good suggestion

Post by whitworthsocket »

I found this link last night
Thought it might be useful
http://www.metalgeek.com/archives/2005/05/01/000047.php
David Leikvold

sand bending

Post by David Leikvold »

Thanks for that, it looks good. Many years ago I sand bent my Formula Vee exhaust. It was great for keeping the cross-sectional area about right and didn't need any formers. For those considering trying it don't use the sand until you've heated it a lot. It should be grey and black and really fine, almost like dust, to get the best results. It gets better every time you use it so don't throw the sand away. It'll be hot on the way out, watch out! You'll have to fill the tube a few times (use a small funnel, preferably one from the kitchen just to amuse your wife) to compact all the sand, just keep tapping the pipe and topping up the sand until it won't take any more. In Ron Covell's excellent DVD "Working with Tubing" (Larry O'Toole from Graffiti sells them) he keeps his sand in an old paint can with a good lid to keep moisture out. You don't need to weld the ends closed, a thick wad of newspaper jammed in hard in each end will do the job fine. Having a final shape to compare it too will give you consistent results too. A piece of plywood would usually do it.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!