alternate solution

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

hawkwind racing

alternate solution

Post by hawkwind racing »

If we work fast this could be a solution for this year
Maralinga airfield its 2.5 kms long and is available for this use ie high speed vehicle testing .the restricted access road is also available .its very remote and further to get to than Gairdner but worth a try me thinks

woomera airfield is also available for high speed vehicle testing the runway is a bit shorter but not as remote as maralinga

http://www.woomera.com.au/range/nondefence/vehicle.htm
cheers
Gary
jrbcastle

Post by jrbcastle »

nice thought Gary :idea: but 21/2 km's long some of the cars arn't even at top speed by then let alone stopping might be alright for bike's though then there's insurance ,camping ,food, tolilets, showers and the bloody rest :arrow: three years in a row and were in a drought :( the man above :twisted: must hate us :?
internetscooter

Post by internetscooter »

how about a "track day" somewhere in each state if the main event gets cancelled?

Or

How about 2 potential salt dates - one at the beginning of the year and one at the end... twice the chance of having a yearly event.
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

WE in Queensland have been searching around for a a few months now , for alternative venues . Have a list of all runways in Australia , even those on private properties . We have one promising prospect about 4 hrs from Brisbane , but its still early days on that . But its only 1 mile long , well at least good enough for a short blast . Theres another abandoned world war 2 airstrip 1 1/2 miles long that i still have to check out ( 200 km from Brissy ). At least with the google earth you can locate all these places and measure how long they are .
Last edited by DON NOBLE on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Gary, a mate at work who is an attactive "mini" club member is hiring out Goulburn airport in the next few months..its not all that long I understand..$1300 for the day...if ya desperate

other than that, I'm going to give drag racing a go........
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
boyracer

alternatives to lake G...

Post by boyracer »

i may be a newbie at this(#740) but has anyone considered lake lefroy in western australia as a venue? heres my 10 cents worth...

big,flat and white.
crown land,leased to wmc.
access much better than the G. bitumen roads!
Kalgoorlie motorcycle club have organized an enduro on the lake and surrounding dunes,think they still do.
Kalgoorlie/boulder council v receptive to motor sport... they used to close off a suburb so we could race our motos 'round the houses' once or twice a year.
i have been out on the lake with Aussie invader/ rosco as well as on my moto(gsxr1100, spinning up at 200 +)
closest town, Kambalda is home to approx. 5000 cashed up testosterone fuelled hard drinking blokes. club coffers could be topped up w/ new members/racers/spectators.EVERYBODY in town is into fast something!
lake lefroy is about 75 ks from kalgoorlie,600 or so east of perth and cant be that much more of an imposition to get to than the G.
replys on the back of a carton of sparkling ale... i hope you were all paying attention. there will be a pop test tomorrow!
If its got b**bs or wheels its bound to be trouble!
off tap racing

Post by off tap racing »

hi all, Gary both those places sound great, as one of the posts state length would be insuficent for most of the cars, but it would be good for riders an drivers who have not been able to run for the last 2 years, as they can get there licence or prove they can control there veihicle, would these venuse be suitable for the flying mile, which could be an option.
David Leikvold

why not?

Post by David Leikvold »

Gordon, Lake Lefroy looks like it is plenty long enough to have potential, does much water flow into it? We'd really like a dry lake that was actually dry more often than not. :? It would need a very active WA based bunch of salt racers to get it up and running as another venue. Apart from the major logistical difficulties involved there is no good reason why we can't use more than one salt lake. And it's not in a National Park so that helps a bit. If the local council was really keen they could grade a track with their own gear and maybe even survey it. And supply the witches hats.
Even if it was just used by racers from WA and SA it would eventually generate more members from WA who would come to Lake Gairdner.
It looks like a 3 day drive from Victoria and 5 days from Qld so (we're 3 days from Lake G) so you might struggle to get much interest from the east coast but have a go. And with Kambalda right there and Kalgoorlie only 60k away it'd almost be like Wendover. Anyone in Perth or even closer feel like organising something?
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
boyracer

lake lefroy

Post by boyracer »

memory may be a bit hazy, but i dont remember any real water on/in the lake(lefroy)system.i remember filming the aussie invader for some promo footage to drum up sponsorship dollars. we towed it behind a f100 ute then let the tow go and filmed it cruising into the sunset. slow down the fillum, wella... an impressive looking 'speed' run!! I worked at the defiance mine on the edge of the lake for a couple of years. the lake was about 40 ks wide,i think at least that long, with a raised north/south bitumen causeway dissecting it. i remember the water table was high in general causing lots of headaches for mine operations ( in kilometre deep holes that is!) is rosco a member? he would know more than me about it. have mates in kal'. will get them to report on lake conditions if you like. any one know/remember don (john?) vevers? moto record holder in the 80's.
If its got b**bs or wheels its bound to be trouble!
panhead_pete

Post by panhead_pete »

LOTS of salt lakes in WA!!! One potiental issue with Lake Lefroy is that mining leases cover it although Im unsure how that might impact on racing there. Another factor is St Ives Gold Mine discharges its mine dewater onto it, but the positive is that this water is hypersaline :) Sorry but that doesnt add much.
Dreaming of the salt in 08.
PLUCKA

Post by PLUCKA »

Hawkwind Racing
Gary, I spoke with Kym Edwards today from the Department of Defence at Woomera about the possibility of at least some testing at the air base. I have the necesary paper work and will put it in over the next couple of days. I need some time in this car because apart from garage start up and dyno thats been it. Yes it is only 2.2 ks long but better than nothing. I intend to book it for the same time as my crew have already booked their holidays around this. Can get it for just a day as CASA (Civil Avaiation Authority) will only give us a NOTAM for that long. Then the rest of the week down and across to Lake Wetalot for a look.
Any one interested in Woomera

Plucka
# 689
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Plucka yes very interested ,but it would depend on how many and cost ,count me in provided its not an arm and leg as Im in the same boat as yourself ' I also want to check out two other salt lakes ,one near woomera ,that Dr googles mentioned island lagoon and another that has great potential Lake Frome I have been doing some research and want to check it out ,certinaly large enough ,I will need some detailed maps for access points ,its a recreational reserve
what dates do you have in mind? as april is out for me :cry:

gary
PLUCKA

Post by PLUCKA »

Gary
The plan was to book Woomera for any of the week days as if we were at Gardiner 3rd - 7th and once either has been secured head down to the lake from Woomera, but can only get it fo the day. By the sounds of it it a bit of a Government agency thing and no costs mentioned.

Plucka
mal hewett

Post by mal hewett »

Hey Plukka and Garry , count me in for Womera,I live up the road at Roxby,ready for some more testing. Island Lagoon has limited access and I heard latley some tracks in the area have been closed to it .
off tap racing

Post by off tap racing »

plucka, im in to as long as its with in those dates.