Metal forming seminars

Moderator: DLRA

David Leikvold

Metal forming seminars

Post by David Leikvold »

I went to the Brisbane Hot Rod Show yesterday. Ran into Don Noble and met Norm Hardinge. I was asking Norm about air to water intercoolers and he said if I could draw it, he could build it. That's good to know because an off the shelf unit won't be much use in my oddball setup. Anyway, next to Norm's display was a bloke (Michael 0404 026 286) who was selling metal working DVD's. The retired TAFE teacher and Bentley restorer (Tom Peach) and his trusty sidekick (Peter Tomasini) who star in the DVD's are so good they handmade a whole rear three quarter panel for an HK Monaro without joins or welds. Michael is also promoting seminars in Melbourne (5 July) and Sydney (26 July). Go to www.gasolene.biz for more details. I can't go so I bought the 4 DVD set (3 plus a bonus one) for $80. You get the 3 DVD set free when you do the seminar. And, no, I'm not getting paid for this, I just know that lots of us would be interested. I have no idea if it's true or not but Michael told me that Ron Covell had bought a set of the DVD's too! But as Chip Foose said "it's what you learn after you know everything that really matters".
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
penny

metal forming

Post by penny »

at the rods and relics website there is a photo of the quarter panel in the gallery,and also a neat video of their shrinking disc in the tool section
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I only just said to the wife the other day that I'd love to do a metal forming course. I know of another one in Sydney run at a restoration workshop at Riverstone. They run it over a weekend and it is around $400 + the bonus is that my brother lives 5 minutes away - good for accommodation.

Thanks for the timely tip Dave! I'm going to check out the Sydney one for late July.

Lynchy
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Was just talking to the producer of the TV show on Channel 31 - Gasolene. They will be doing some seminars with Tom and Peter from the show later in the year as well.
Will post details when I get 'em.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Howdy,
Yes, there are Metal Shaping courses coming up, but for far less ($50 if you live in Melbourne, where we have a Metal Meet gathering twice a year.
Yes, I do have a pic of that Quarter in my gallery. I had an invite from Peter last year after Metal Meet to head to his workshop, Classic car Restorations in Bayswater to meet Tom, his son and the Gasoline crew.
I'm actually tied up with another show called Cruizin TV based in Perth, infact both myself and the fellow from Melbourne who instructs with me at Metal Meet are heading to Perth to run a 2 day workshop next month put on by Cruizin TV. If you go to their web site www.cruizin.com.au you can look at some of their shows with plenty more to come. We are slightly different in the fact we don't charge for our services (just cover costs) as we are only to keen to see people give it a go. (& we're true Rodders @ heart)
I'm often asked to run workshops here in S.A. and that will be happening soon, as I only help out on a one to one basis at the moment.
Mike called in this morning (Davidson of course) he is still keen to learn more too (we both attened the first Ron Covell course a couple of years ago)
His Streamliner is coming along nicely & as it's been a while since I called in to see him and it, I really need to get my fix soon for it's the closest I've been to the lake and meeting the Phillips too I'm more keen than ever to make the trip. (unfortunately I missed the S.A. gathering)

Back to the Metal Shaping,
It really seems to be taking off now, with us having trouble keeping up with our tools. That's nice, but it's even better that there is people prepared to take up something which had been a dieing art.

CHEERS
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I went to the Gasolene organised Peach & Tommasini metal forming display today. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in shaping metal. It was worth the cost just to watch Tom Peach work! The guy is amazing. He just bangs away and next thing you know there's a wheel arch or a cycle fender. The best part is learning that the simple stuff is not too hard and is worth trying.

I also found out that Peter Tommasini is THE Peter Tommasini of XY GTHO fame. I still remember seeing his car featured back in the mid 80s as it was such a top class resto. He still has it. Nice guys too.

Well worth the admission.

Lynchy
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Lynchy wrote:I went to the Gasolene organised Peach & Tommasini metal forming display today. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in shaping metal. It was worth the cost just to watch Tom Peach work! The guy is amazing. He just bangs away and next thing you know there's a wheel arch or a cycle fender. The best part is learning that the simple stuff is not too hard and is worth trying.

I also found out that Peter Tommasini is THE Peter Tommasini of XY GTHO fame. I still remember seeing his car featured back in the mid 80s as it was such a top class resto. He still has it. Nice guys too.

Well worth the admission.

Lynchy

Yep!
They are nice blokes.
If anyone attending any kind of work shop who doesn't get anything out of them, then they just wheren't paying attention.
They are truely a skilled pair of gentlemen.
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

They are truely a skilled pair of gentlemen

Yep, Pete really knows how to hold a panel :lol:
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Lynchy wrote:
They are truely a skilled pair of gentlemen

Yep, Pete really knows how to hold a panel :lol: