850 hp Charger

Moderator: DLRA

Tex

850 hp Charger

Post by Tex »

Well after going to the salt in 2003 after wanting to for years I am hooked. First thing I did when I got back was make a call to a mate who has agreed to make up the custom inlet manifolds and all the housing and tubes for the engine and also rollcage. I have a spare shell I am prepping (spare...I own 8 Chargers) for the salt and in it is a 360 chrysler small block which will be the recipient of the new Haltech programmable EFi system and two large Turbo's which on paper with calculations should be good for 850 hp at 15 psi of boost. Sounds hi tech but to balance that all work will be done by myself ,my mate and my dad.

Diff ratio,well the best I can get in a 8 3/4 is 2.53 without going Ford 9" so I am now on the hunt for info on where to get those tall wheels and tires.
Can anyone help me there?
looking for around 30" rolling diameter.
Good judgment comes from bad experience,bad experience comes from bad judgment and plenty of people have been right where you are now so dont panic.
Tex

stuff arrives

Post by Tex »

well the twin throttle bodies and the high flow fuel injectors have arrived thanx to a parts bin at an auto manufacturer's development workshop.
hawkwind racing

850 hp charger

Post by hawkwind racing »

G'day tex
so the salt bug has infected another person welcome on board mate good luck with your project
Gary :D
Tex

more bits arriving

Post by Tex »

Well the engine managment computer has arrived now and let me tell you I have never seen so many wires in my life!....brief panic...read 150 page book that came with it...panic some more...(lol) The book actually is very concise and relativly easy to grasp and once we start putting things on the engine it will be in front of me and a lot easier to deal with.
My mate Pete is donating a laptop to place in the car,bless the barstards skinny boney ass soul!

later
Good judgment comes from bad experience,bad experience comes from bad judgment and plenty of people have been right where you are now so dont panic.
missile01`

EFI

Post by missile01` »

Tex, i am also a rookie to this SALT FEVER, i have never been to the Salt Flats but i am prepairing a car as we type. If you have any questions regarding the EFi side of things feel free to contact me as i am also going the EFI route as i deal with the Electromotive TEC3 brand on a large scale. This infact will be my second car that will run the TEC3. I will be relying on the ability of the TEC3 to tune for different setups, something carbys cant do like i will be attempting.
Chat soon and may the salt be in your veins forever
Tex

one step forward one step back

Post by Tex »

well the laptop Pete was going to give me was not powerful enough (is anything in our lives??) so I have to find a laptop witha 400 mhz processor which is another weeks wages...if I had a job... sigh.

On the plus side I have worked out a foolproof way of keeping twin throttle bodies calibrated to each other for the term of their natural lives while having two throttle return springs and its simple and cheap. Will run the throttle bodies on their side so that the shaft that the butterfly sits on runs horizontal.Then remove both shafts and one throttle position sensor (we only need one dont we) then run one shaft through both throttle bodies and into the lone TPS then attach the butterflys keeping the throttle return spring on both bodies. Thus the two become one dual throaght throttle body with two return springs as the regs require.
I am sure it has been done a zillion times before but for me...I am breaking new ground in my own thought process and it is satisfying.

later

ps "missile 01" did I mention that I got the HALTECH EFi comp from HALTECH and it came in a box marked HALTECH with stickers that say HALTECH. (lol)[/img]
PJQ2

Throttle body mods

Post by PJQ2 »

Umm, throttle shaft mods. Good source of air leakage where the shaft passes through the body. Extra air leads to mixture returning to solid fuel. Go Dellorto with their sealed bearing shafts!

Can't wait to get the twin Dell's back on the freshly built Type 4 Kombi donk, all glued into our stretched Formula Vee Go-Kart-Buggy-Wheelbarrow-Thing (Special Construction is right). We'll give your ole Val a wake up. Skinny boned arse indeed!

Just found a formula to help with extractor building. It's a lot of mathematical dicking about - that's okay after a few beers, the hard part is building a tapered tube for the collector box. We'll need to find some special skills for that one.

Actually, might just start a forum thread of my own. Better than sitting here under "850 HP Charger".

See Ya,
Pete
Tex

re advice from the boney ass bastard with the hitler mobile

Post by Tex »

well the shaft is there anyway is it not? just in two pieces,it will have a sealed bearing in place and they are worth $1600 and came from the gods (no charge).

oh and you cant wait to put your Dellorto's back on? dont you farm your engine work out to a proffesional? do you want to buy a set of metric hammers? mr mechanic.

"Special" construction ? you mean retarded?

oh and a tip for extractor building-learn to mig einstein.

ps...see you saturday,and dont forget the beer.
Tex

pps

Post by Tex »

of course you know that throttle bodies have no fuel flowing anywhere near thir shafts.Air is the only thing until the inlet runner where the injector pulses the fuel into the chamber with the air which by then has forgotten what a throttle body is.
Tex

more parts

Post by Tex »

well the twin Garrett GT37 turbo's have arrived aswell as my boost control solenoids and dual igniter units. Pick up the block on Sunday and start to measure it up to make the manifolds and plenum chamber.
Tex

out of control

Post by Tex »

well as all things go the idea has gotten far from its original concept by way of "bolt that on and you have to have this to cope with it"

I will not be running this year but will be a couple of months behind.We are currently awaiting the pistons from the US as there was not a dished forged alloy piston for the 360 off the shelf so custom turbo pistons are being made up by Ross pistons.While this is once again adding to the ever spiralling costs it will create a situation where the engine can run 2 bar easily putting the horses in excess of 1200.

Machining costs were also something i didnt think about and it all adds up,it is easy to see where the budgets in professional racing go when you add up these costs aswell as the parts.

I will not be there as a spectator this year due to commitments of a new job,which is needed to pay for this monster.

I wish everyone all the best with their runs this year.

PS, i put up my hand for the working bee a couple of times and was told I would be contacted,did we have one or not?
XW #901 180mph

Post by XW #901 180mph »

Quote"Diff ratio,well the best I can get in a 8 3/4 is 2.53 without going Ford 9" so I am now on the hunt for info on where to get those tall wheels and tires.
Can anyone help me there?
looking for around 30" rolling diameter."

2.53:1 gearing is way too tall.

I run a 2.75:1 in my black XW.

215/70 x 15" tyres 176 mph @ 6300rpm (around 27" dia)
225/60 x 15" tyres 174.6 mph @ 6500rpm (around 26" dia)

I have even considered going down to 2.9:1 to push the revs up a bit.

Regards Mark.
Tex

If I had of known......I would still have done it

Post by Tex »

Well it is now past mid 2005 and I am only a little closer to getting there. The actual vehicle is essentially ready to be painted after practically replacing half a car . I had to close my workshop as teh building was sold with only a few weeks notice to find another arrangement while the seller also owed me $20 grand (and still does-money and friends, keep it below a weeks pay)

8 months later and looks like I am relocating to Benalla soon. The short engine is still not finished and all I have to say to the machine shop doing it is "#### pull your finger out you dicks!" it has been almost 2 years.
Originally when I told them the owner said he would look at sorting some sort of sponsorship out. because of this I never really whinged when it seemed to be the last thing on their minds ie it only got worked on when they had nothing else to do. Now it seems that they didnt say anything about sponsorship! yeah right...thanks. I ring and the owner says "oh yeah its done" I speak to the guy who actually has to do it and he says "Nah I havnt got round to finishing it yet".

They are in the WEST of melbourne and I would make it a POINT to avoid them in the future.

Along the way I have had quite a few people who have offered their services to the cause only to take a job on and end up doing nothing. You always end up doing it yourself dont you.
I am learning master.

good news is that it looks like my calculations were a tad pessamistic and have been shown that the engine should be pushing closer to 1200 horses .

Block has been grouted and tunnel bored with dowed and keyd steel mains. New Steel crank with H beam Eagle rods and those forged slugs from Ross. May run stock heads to start off with and the inlet manifold is under construction now.
Still a long way to go but I have decided not to open my shop until the new year so as to give myself a good chance at finishing this and my other road car.

I am sad that I have missed coming the last couple of years as it seems the sport is growing at a massive rate of Knots and many records are being set and broken.

I only hope I can get there in time to set a gas modified coupe record before I start on a streamliner to play with the big boys.

Hope everyone is well and not having the drama's I have had.

take care[/b]
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

...yeah it's real dull when people dick you over time and/or money ,plus it always bites that you fell for such peanut-brained, lyin',lazy scumbags in the first place....