MOTORCYCLE REAR WHEEL

Moderator: DLRA

BEN JAMES

MOTORCYCLE REAR WHEEL

Post by BEN JAMES »

hi gary baker, my z900 drag bike has a 15' x 7" rear rim and as i can't get a suitable land speed tyre for it i'm making a 15 x 4,1/2' steel rim but the only drama is that it will weigh about 11kgs and the bike has no back suspension. it will have a goodyear lsr tyre on it which are fairly light in weight. do you think a wheel that heavy will have any bad effects on straght line handling.
ben james dlra#389
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

NO,
Ben whats wrong with a normal ZR rated road tyre , they are good to over 250mph and rated by the makers to 200mph or are you hoping for something more :shock: , I believe that drag slicks are good to 200mph as well,IMO running no rear suspension at the lake will be ok ,infact the kawasaki RX 1000 im building for next year is a hard tail :wink:
cheers
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Hay Ben, you interested in selling that 15x7 ?????
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Hawkwind , there have been many reports of "normal" ZR rated tyres not making 225mph on the salt let alone 250mph +
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
BEN JAMES

Post by BEN JAMES »

hi ron,
i've also got a 15 x 8". they are 2 piece aluminium. but they have a alum disc in the middle about 8mm thick to support the wheel when you bolt it together. you would have to make one of those as i only have one. haven't figured out what i'm going to do with drag racing yet. for the salt i'm getting a 4 1/2" steel wheel made and using a mickey thompson car front runner tyre. are you bringing your z1000 to the salt in 06
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

gazza414 wrote:Hawkwind , there have been many reports of "normal" ZR rated tyres not making 225mph on the salt let alone 250mph +

Gazza pray do supply some examples :o I am trying through several sources to gather as much info on what and why :wink: so far deflation and excessive spinning appear to be the prime culprits along with faulty rims and old tyres
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Same place as where you are looking --- just keep on searching
...... the silence is deafening... wonder why Gary
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

G`day Ben, sorry for not replying earlier. Forgot i had asked the question. I will email you about the rims....
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,