Scatter Shields

Moderator: DLRA

BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

They are only 'peenuts' aren't they?Not really worth protecting,Now if ya had "A lovely bunch of Coconuts",that would be a different story :lol:
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

Bob, you will never find out ! See ya on the weekend. When are you getting to Melbourne ? Where are you staying ?
momec

Post by momec »

I have not seen it in the rule book either. So pay to check that one with a person in higher authority.

Talking about higher authority. I'm on a mission from God this week.
I'm rebuilding the motor from the Jesus about life V8 ute. :lol:
Never know, if l get it on the podium might get me a good word at the pearly gates. :wink:
Chris
Acme Racing #251
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

Chris, can you put in a good word for those of us going to Melbourne this weekend, we may well need it !! Thanks, Pete.
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I haven't got the rule book in front of me but from memory it says that aluminium hydroformed (or cast aluminium) bellhousings are not acceptble full stop, whether you build a protective shield over them or not or put on a blanket. BUT most of the vehicles I scrutinerred had hand made shields over cast bellhousings and they were deemed acceptable. It is pretty difficult now to apply that rule religiously. This is one of many areas of the rule book that need to be clarified. Bob, I am willing to give you a hand when ever you need it- for the rule book re-write that is!
From what I know about scattershields it is not that easy to make in the back yard. Concentricity is the problem and milling out the input shaft locating spigot after final welding would need to be done at a shop that knows what they are doing. We are talking in thousanths of an inch tolerances for any engine putting out serious HP. Putting my 6 speed T56 box behind the Jag V12 will not be easy (or cheap).
BIG GAZ
Rob

Post by Rob »

G'day Gary,

"No cast or hydroformed aluminium, cast iron or cast steel housings/shields are allowed."

The way I read it, these materials are not allowed to be used as a scattershield, not that they may not be used in conjunction with a complying scattershield.

I figure either offset dowels that would allow adjustment or a fixed dowel but a bung with the dowel hole drilled offset (like a round cam lobe with a hole as the pivot point) would do the trick far cheaper. Use a dial indicator to adjust then weld the bungs, the adjustable dowels could be held via grub screws drilled into the block at 90'.

Alternately, get the housing accurately placed and tightly bolted and then drill your dowel holes through both block and bellhousing.

I'm glad the original question has sparked a good deal of debate.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
vetteracer

Post by vetteracer »

For Rob- I have been through the pain of making a scattershield (sports sedans years ago)- would not even consider it now even though I have a better lathe and a milling machine. When Trev and I mounted a Tremec box to the Vette years ago, using a good quality Castlemaine Rod Shop bellhousing, it still took a lotof time and patience to get the concentrity within .001" This would be even more difficult with a home-made unit.
For BIG GAZ -I have pretty well decided on a T56 for saltvette- can you tell me what sort of Tq & Hp you expect to get from the V12- obviously heaps more than my 434. Am still doing homework on clutches; as it has to be streetable so can test/set up /tune in the road vette, will probably go for 8 1/2 to 9'' twin plate .
vetteracer
nitro-nige

Post by nitro-nige »

Big Gaz has gone for a powerplant upgrade. There's some of uncle sam's iron under that blower. I think the starter motor would have more grunt than a jag V12. Check out the build diary.

I'm not knocking your choice of gearbox but people tend to steer clear of overdrive gearboxes for slat cars. Someone here can explain the theory better than me. The normal setup is high diff gears and a 4 speed box of a suitable strength. I've seen lenco's and jerico's used.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Nige

Phase 1 is still the blown Cleveland for the Jag. The box on the Ford motor is a Doug Nash 5 speed (5th is 1:1).

The Jag motor is Phase 2. The jag motor is still under development in our collective heads before any work takes place. We just want to finish the car first with the motor that is already built before starting another build. The jag motor would most likely be turbo charged to increase power and get it under the bonnet. The T56 was thought of as it was available and the Cleveland and Doug Nash would go back into it's original home (2 door falcon). Discussion will no doubt continue with regard to gearbox choice.

Phase 3 (I'm a Ford guy - so this is regarded as the finest phase) should have been the jet that was for sale recently except the diff was too narrow (yeah, that and the cost......)

Lynchy
momec

Post by momec »

Ok on Scattersheilds

A motor I built 12 months ago in the V8 ute catigory came in last week after the Townsville event.

The flywheel exploded on his first lap out.
The damage was hard to descibe unless you saw it. They found no part of either the flywheel or bellhousing.
On its way to space it took out the windscreen, cut the brake booster in half, tore the back of the block, cut the steering and lower control arms, sliced trough fuel hoses and stuffed the entire wiring loom for the car, stuffed the front sub frame and all this happened at 160 kph then it smacked the tyre barrier because it could'nt stop or steer.

The driver told me the explosion was so severe he was in shock before the marshalls got to him.

Just thought i'd relay this.
Chris
Acme Racing #251
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Chris , thats a big wow , guess you sayin they dont run scattershields , that driver sounds real lucky not to lose some body bits .
And even on me old red wagon , i had a steel billet flywheel ( ex Rod Hadfields shop ) , and i fabricated a 6mm steel plate scattershield .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
penny

flywheels

Post by penny »

in the eighties i picked up an american pro stock racer from the airport and whilst cruising out to castlereigh the conversation came around to me running a 40lb flywheel and with no intention of lightening it.he told of 55 chevys at home running 90lbs.the good bit,a heavy chevy that would shit the motor on the launch and run to half track on the flywheel.momentum plus,spin a bicycle wheel holding by the axles verticle and then turn it through 90 degrees.
penny

clutchflights

Post by penny »

i didnt mention that my 40lb flywheel was on a 68 valiant torqueflight auto driving a 2200lb hotrod.let out clutch and enjoy the ride,no high stall converters those days.
momec

Post by momec »

Thats right.
No did'nt lose any body parts more by good luck.
V8 Utes now mandated steel flywheels before Bathurst for all 36 utes.
Yella Terra will love that.
Chris
Acme Racing #251
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

strewth :!: :!: , i was standing about 50 meters from the start line and 2 meters from the track at clownsville,,, had i known thay didnt have scattershields i would have been in the ww2 bunker on top of Castle Hill :lol:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,