HELMET RESTRAINING STRAP

Moderator: DLRA

vetteracer

HELMET RESTRAINING STRAP

Post by vetteracer »

RULEBOOK
4.1.3 Helmet support (neck brace) to be used where existing roll bar structure does not provide restriction to lateral head movement of less than 4"
4.2 Helmet restraining strap within the roll cage is required. It must be... welded inside the roll cage.
PROBLEM
I want to build the SALTVETTE to be usable for events other than Lake G.
The restraining strap will limit side vision ie too dangerous for circut use.
QUERY
1 Is the restraining strap essential (or am I misreading the BOOK)
2 iF YES TO #1, can it be bolted to the roll cage(ie removable)
3 If HANS ( or cheaper CAMS approved device) is used, can the restraining strap be omitted
COMMENT
Am not trying to cut corners, or comprise safety-was told 30 years ago by an old time racer "$2 helmet= $2 head" -just want to avoid welding stuff to the cage and then cut it off again. Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.
Vetteracer
momec

Post by momec »

The yank rules have gone to Hans device and if the system works we should follow.
Does this overide that rule, all Hans does is tie your head to your torso. The torso/head travel still has to be confined.
Does this make sense? :?
Chris
Acme Racing #251
David Leikvold

good seat

Post by David Leikvold »

Racetech make a very nice FIA approved kevlar race seat with helmet restraining wings and excellent lateral support for the torso. Many touring car racers in Europe and elsewhere use it. The seat is the RT4009HRV and is available in Australia. Combine this with a HANS device and you won't be moving anywhere you don't want to. And the padded wings will do a much gentler job of protecting your head than the rock hard FIA approved roll cage "padding" strips. The FIA approval would mean the seat and the car would be legal for other events. As for whether it meets the letter of the law for DLRA purposes is another thing but always remember this, the rule is designed to stop you being hurt, and how that is achieved shouldn't matter. Talk to Bob Ellis about it and see what he thinks. I suspect Bob would be pleased to see someone trying to do the job very well rather than someone trying to sneak around a safety rule with something dodgy.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
vetteracer

Post by vetteracer »

Yep Chris it does- hipbone connected to the thigh bone, and all that. Hope to see you on the 21st
Denis
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Vette,bring me some pic's of where you are up to,plans etc,will have a look on the 21th and i'll go thru what you are planning.
Cheers , Bob.
vetteracer

Post by vetteracer »

Bob- if it's not stretching our yet to be formed friendship, I'll bring the car. (Have you seen a naked corvette before?)
Denis
PS What's your favourite poison? JB or JD?
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Seems that it's already streched.Naked?Friendship?Poisen??? I'll try anything once,but you being from Joh country,should I be worried?? :shock: ,oh ,and do you have a Pumkin Scone Recipe for the fellow members?? See ya on the 21th. Cheers , Bob.
vetteracer

Post by vetteracer »

Mate- if you are very good, will try to bring a tea towel with the pumpkin scone recipe; I would have Sir Joh autograph it, but its a bit late for that. If you are very, very good will bring some good ole boy peanuts with me.
Denis
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

You Banana Benders really have me worried :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Lucky the Frog Welfare Dept. made old Timer the legal guardian of the kids Bob :!: :!: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Cookey , I'm more worried about the peanut man! He wants to bring a tea towel.I am now EXTREMELY worried.Will have to make sure the 'Home Frogs' have extra ammo,May have to call Oldtimer for reinforcements :D .The battle at Big Little Pond took it's toll on the Royal Frogaliers(2nd division),led by Gen Frogomerey,and alot of our Tadpoles enlisted with the U.S. General FrogArther.They are busy fighting the "Eaters of Frog's legs" in Melbourne,So if you know of any young frogs,or even tadpoles,looking for a career (even a short one),please direct them to LilyPad.Pond.
vetteracer

Post by vetteracer »

Bob- I am the bearer of sad tidings. It seems those Mexicans (on their annual winter pilgrimage North) have snapped up all of the said tea towels. I know this news will be a bitter disappointment to you, and can only suggest that you seek professional help to tide you over this difficult time. Alternatively, on request, I can bring a substantial supply of my special "counselling fluid" with me next week.
Denis
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Hmmmmm Fluid :D ,A very famous person (don't remember who),said"if it gets you drunk,it can't be bad"
seriously (if only for a moment),seems a long way to haul the vette at this stage,youre choice,but pic's would do. Will help in any way i can.
Cheers , Bob.
vetteracer

Post by vetteracer »

Thanks mate- am used to towing K'roy to Melb., so K'roy to B'ne is a bit of a doddle. Have no probs with the cage- it will be the existing Cams cage beefed up, and be 8 point instead of the 6 point. I will really appreciate input re helmet strap and seat mounts, and with all that fibreglass, I'm sure "in the flesh" will be heaps better than piccies.
Denis