Universal chassis

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted »

Naw. My balls aren't that talented. I read the rule book closely (a number of times). The scrutineers still threw me out the first time I presented it for scrutiny. Heres the handlebars. Kinda hidden in the other photo

[img][img]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1774/img061g.jpg[/img]
By weslake at 2010-05-24[/img]
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.
BONES

universal chassis

Post by BONES »

Hey Hoof
How much fuel and oil do you get through in a run? I've staryed making a 6 litre 1.5g fuel tank and 1.5 litre oil tank but having second thoughts about the size of the fuel tank.
I don't know how old the weslake is but it has the strangest way of holding the head and cylinder on. You screw the cylinder studs into the head from underneath. Does this give away its age?
cheers Bones
Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted »

Sounds like its an early Weslake with that head stud set up. I'll have to go search. I made up a 1/2 (U.S.) gallon tank for the Norton for Bonneville last year. Running gas it only used 1 quart over 2 1/4 miles. The Weslake in the sidecar uses a similar amount. The amount of oil used over 1.3 miles at El Mirage is miniscule. I have an almost 1 qt. oil tank that I fill every five meets. Depending how far you are planning to run I don't think you'd need anything bigger than 1/2 gal. Just got back from the July El Mirage meeting. The sidecar popped off a 120 mph run to up the class record from 116. Always a good day when that haooens.
BONES

universal chassis

Post by BONES »

top engine mount
[/img]Image
I cut off the bush and seal mount from the slider. Machined up a new seal/bush housing,screwcut an internal and external thread and screwed it together 75mm shorter. The fork leg has a circlip to hold in the spring and cap ,so it is easy to cut the tube 150mm shorter and machine in a new circlip groove. The top of the steering head is 750mm.

cheers Bones[/img]
BONES

universal chassis

Post by BONES »

Hi Hoof
should be able to work out the age from the engine number.
I was thinking of changing the stud setup to normal studs & nuts. I think there is enough room for nuts with a bit of machening. At present it as an alloy rod, but I have on idea of what work it has done.[/img]
rear calliper is off a GPZ900r and fitted the suzuki disc. Only a spacer/mount for the axle
fuel tank is about 7 lit -will need a pump. I have a pump that will supply
1.5 l/m but I think I will need more
Hopefully I will pick up the gearbox next weekend
cheers Bones[/img]
SPOOK

universal chassis

Post by SPOOK »

Hi Bones, Great to see the progress on the new project. I raced an old Triumph for about fifteen years and found early on the gearbox has a couple of design problems. The out put shaft is a keyed taper and should be lapped to the clutch hub with valve grinding paste and thoroughly cleaned before assembly. Tighten nut to 50 ft.lbs. The internal gearchange mechanism is heavy and by easeing it through the gears you wont miss a cog. apart from that they are a good box and will serve you well. Good luck. ....Spook
Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted »

Hey Bones. Thats interesting. The engine number on the Weslake in the Norton is 2551 E LPS but ti has the standard stud into crankcase set up. I've never been able to find too much info on dating engines. but I haven't given up yet. Love that top engine mount!! The engine doesn't look like it will move.
BONES

universal chassis

Post by BONES »

Update
fuel tank is in
[/img]Image

Hopefully I will recieve the gearbox next week, then I can finialise rear sprocket spacers and primary drive.Thinking of using a belt for the primary. Has any body any experiance with belts?

Hoof
The guy I got the engine from said
MK3--head studs with nuts & 3 stud inlet
MK4--head bolts screw into head & 3 stud inlet
MK5--head studs with nuts & 4 stud inlet
He also spoke about cams--- 83 and 85. 85 is larger and used for longtrack. Any ideas?

Will you have the weslake at El Mirage?

cheers Bones
cheers Bones
Hoofhearted

Re: universal chassis

Post by Hoofhearted »

BONES wrote:
Hoof
The guy I got the engine from said
MK3--head studs with nuts & 3 stud inlet
MK4--head bolts screw into head & 3 stud inlet
MK5--head studs with nuts & 4 stud inlet
He also spoke about cams--- 83 and 85. 85 is larger and used for longtrack. Any ideas?

Will you have the weslake at El Mirage?

cheers Bones
cheers Bones
That timeline would seem right. The Weslake in the Norton has a three stud inlet. The Weslake in the sidecar is a much later version and has a four stud inlet. 85s are longtrack cams and if you can get a pair it will be well worth it. There is a difference. I have them in both Weslakes. What size carb are you planning to use? I have a 45mm round slide Mikuni on the Weslake in the Norton and a 38mm flatslide Kehin in sidecar. Funny thing is they both work well. The Mikuni has run 129.815 on gas and to date the Kehin has pushed the sidecar to 122. I've been threatening to try the Mikuni on the sidecar but I haven't got enough body clearance. I'll have the sidecar at El Mirage in Sept. Right now its a rush to get ready. I made a terrible mistake earlier in the year and booked a holiday at the beach (mainly for the long suffering betterhalf) before deciding to go to Bonneville. So the week before Bonneville I have to be at the beach! I have to have everything ready before I go, The sidecar ran 120 at the July El Mirage and nothing broke and so far I haven't found any surprises. So its basic race prep. Looking forward to meeting you in Sept.
momec

Post by momec »

That will be a funny holiday.
I can see your longsuffering lying back on the deck chair sun glasses and swimmers on, you miles away pacing and staring at your watch. :lol:
Have fun
Chris
Acme Racing #251
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Nice build mate 8) ,,, actually, Mark Burrows (little BSA single that was at Gairdner this year) has been chewing me ear for a couple of years now about doing something similar to what ya doin there, hes right into speedway solos and knows a lot about makes, modles etc,etc,,,, hes coming over thisarvo so ill let him know what ya upta, :D ...
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted »

C Hanlon wrote:That will be a funny holiday.
I can see your longsuffering lying back on the deck chair sun glasses and swimmers on, you miles away pacing and staring at your watch. :lol:
Have fun
Chris
That'll be about it. I had thought of trailering the sidecar along but I reckoned that would get me deep in it. So I'll put up and shut up. :--)
ROSS BROWN

Looking good !

Post by ROSS BROWN »

The build is going quick and looking pretty slick Bones. I liked the bit about the internal screwcutting , "show off ":D some trick work happening there.
How,s Alex,s bike comming along?

Hey Hoof
120 and a record out of that old girl ." congratulations " Ya recon ya can squeeeeeeze much more out her.
mmmmmm a week at the beach . SUCKED IN :D
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
Hoofhearted

Post by Hoofhearted »

The build sure is going quick! I don't mean this to be a nosey speed secret seeking question but I'm curious to know what valve timing you are going to use. Weslake says 98-102 deg. I was originally told by our west coast guru to go to 112 but I found 106 made the Weslake very happy. I have a "friend" up north that swears by 120 deg. But he hasn't run over 114 mph. If I'm out of line tell me :--)

I found this a while back but don't have any details. Similar to Bones but its a laydown cammy motor. Not sure how fast it went. 144 on fuel I think but it was a 144 with a lot of broken parts from what I remember.

How much more can I squeeze out of it. I know it will run over 130. El Mirage is only 1.3 miles to the lights and to do it there will take a perfect run. Bonneville is a strange place to tune for. I'll be really happy if I can run 120 there. Given the gas record is 98 and the fuel record is 101 I should be delerious with 120! There is the tire problem too. The front wheel is a 10" from an Austin Mini. I have an H rated tire which is the fastest rating I have been able to find. If I go over 130 then my tire is illegal and I may be stopped from running.

[img][img]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6873/img017kza.jpg[/img]
By weslake at 2009-08-20[/img]
ROSS BROWN

Traveling the same road.

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Hey BONES

Your question on belt drives is also one that I've only partly worked my way through. Powergrip & Gates are part in the same company
Your primary distributor is at:
192 Newton Rd Wetherhill park NSW 2164 Ph 02 97571265
The belt system you are after is a SYCRHRONOUS belt & drive ,high speed, high torque.
Gates have an off the shelf arangement of toothed pully's & they will custom build (if you do the drawings)
Im interested to see how you get on & what you come up with.

Cheers Ross
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925