DLRA News Issue 37

The Official publication of the Dry Lakes Racers Australia

Moderator: DLRA

ROSS BROWN

Re: YEP

Post by ROSS BROWN »

I like ya thinking Havachat :D
Been searching for a picture of this " weed ", pages & pages of scientific gibberish and only one picture :roll:
Ya have to look at the picture carefully and the "Omeo pepper weed " slowly appears in the foreground
Dam thing looks like the wild wood weed with all it's leaves missing.

Also went for another one of those virtuall walks , found the "pub" this time :D
It also looks that may be on the brink of extinction :
SO for the good of ' man kind ' we should all get our methanol burning butts to Omeo as soon as possible, save the pepper weed ,fill the pub and mow a nice straight line down the middle of the lake 8)

Oh yeah : Happy birthday Outback Trev
Cheers
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
Dr Goggles

Re: DLRA News Issue 37

Post by Dr Goggles »

....Hmmmm, I sold an EH I rebuilt to a Kiwi chick years ago and stayed in touch with her after she returned to the Land of the Wrong White Crowd....this is the good bit....she was based in Omeo , and she worked for the Department as a WEED EXPERT........ I will send her an email and rat her out for good connection in the Omeo area who can word us up on the right thing to do :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

David Leikvold wrote:Pete, sometimes I think those botanists are fooling around just to see if anyone notices. Did you see the Latin name? If they find a variation without the tiny leaves I bet they'll call it Discardia Pubescens :wink:
David , that wouldn't be right . That would be a straight "Brazilian". :) :)
fredeuce
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Dr Goggles wrote:....Hmmmm, I sold an EH I rebuilt to a Kiwi chick years ago and stayed in touch with her after she returned to the Land of the Wrong White Crowd....this is the good bit....she was based in Omeo , and she worked for the Department as a WEED EXPERT........ I will send her an email and rat her out for good connection in the Omeo area who can word us up on the right thing to do :wink:
Why did I think you,of all people would know a New Zealand chick who was a "weed expert".
I think I saw a movie like that once - Boom Chicka Wow Wow....
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Ross, this one has a drawing of the hairy anchor plant:

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/CA256F310024B ... +Plant.pdf

Just from looking at Dave Leaney's photos of the "lake" it doesn't look like there could be any mature hairy anchor plants on the lake surface.

The spiny peppercress seems like it might be more prolific. The photo could have been taken on the lake. See page 4 for specific mention of Lake Omeo:

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodivers ... rsonii.pdf

And here's a pdf about Austral toadflax:

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/CA256F310024B ... x+1994.pdf

Fred, they've beaten you to it: Paronychia brasiliana (Brazilian Whitlow).

Google knows so I'll keep looking,

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Havachat

Post by Havachat »

In the good ol days my Kiwi mate was a weed expert too. He had them growing in pots, sitting on the window ledge in a sunny spot.
It appears those Kiwis know their weed.
Cheers to ye all. :lol:
Keep the H.P. burning & the wheels turning
project100

Post by project100 »

A quick question about the lake surface.
Wouldn't the track surface deteriorate after a few runs making it soft and potentialy dangerous ??
Attachments
LakeOmeoSurface.jpg
LakeOmeoSurface.jpg (163.88 KiB) Viewed 27773 times
I nearly had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

project100 wrote:A quick question about the lake surface.
Wouldn't the track surface deteriorate after a few runs making it soft and potentialy dangerous ??
They've been racing at the dry lakes in the high desert in California since the twenties. John Noonan for one has done 250 ,on a bike,on the dirt.

All of this, whether it is on pavement, salt or dirt is "potentially dangerous" to use the accepted parlance it is all about "managing the risk". If you aren't confident you have an adequate risk management strategy , it is your choice as to whether to compete or not. The club provides the infrastructure , you are responsible for behaving within their rules. The rules are based on the SCTA rules which have been developed over sixty years, each time a serious incident has occurred they have been revisited.

You make the call whether you compete.

If we can get our car there, we'll run.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
momec

Post by momec »

I've driven in some shit paddocks in my time and it looks bloody good to me
Chris
Acme Racing #251
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

There's plenty of space on the lake. We could run several "lanes" of racing to spread the wear on the surface more evenly, just like they do when the salt at Bonneville is nothing special. If we left almost no trace of our presence, or at least no real damage to the surface, I'm guessing we'd be welcomed back whenever we wanted.

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

I'm only 3 hrs from there, and Kim is probably 1 hr away , not at all difficult to go for a sunday ride and to see compare the surface to ElMirage
esp as the Falls creek to Anglers rest road was finished last year .
El Mirage is about 3 miles long with the accellerating area 1.3 miles long ,
The surface is a fine clay that is quite firm (think hard packed dirt road) but the high powered vehicles make a mess of it fairly quickly and they often move the track across 1 width during the day.
Its only preparation is to have a rain event between meetings and dry again to re consolidate the surface
project100

Post by project100 »

Lake Omeo...worth a look.
I nearly had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.
swello

Post by swello »

Well I'm as keen as cat shit!