DLRA NEWS Issue 48 - May 2014

The Official publication of the Dry Lakes Racers Australia

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

DLRA NEWS Issue 48 - May 2014

Post by DLRA »

=============================================================================================================
ISSUE 48 May 2014
=============================================================================================================

President Norm Bradshaw
Vice President Greg Wapling
Secretary Carol Hadfield
Treasurer Carol Hadfield
Chief Car Inspector Bob Ellis
Chief Motorcycle Inspector Graham Hadley
Race Directors Steve Charlton/Chris Hanlon
Chief Starter Peter Leikvold
Chief Timer Paul Lynch
Media Enquiries media@dlra.org.au
Advertising & Sponsorship marketing@dlra.org.au

Cover: Top - Afflick’s 2006 100 cc Honda, Mike Davidson’s Streamliner, Andy Jenkin’s Lakester;
Middle: Left, Daryl Chalmers showing off! Right, Mike Davidson’s twin flat heads;
Bottom – Daryl Chalmers and his 1996 EF Falcon.

DLRA
PO Box 349 Castlemaine VIC 3450
Phone: 03 5472 4629 and Fax: 03 5472 3194
http://www.dlra.org.au
info@ dlra.org.au

DLRA Speed week 2014
From the Chair - Norm Bradshaw
Thanks to Cled for a job well done.. While he has been the President, he has introduced the new timing systems and the extra GPS track and many other improvements, moving the Club forward with the Gawler Ranges Committee. This has been a learning curve for all of us on the Committee. Anyway job well done and we hope your health improves dramatically. Having the AGM on Sunday afternoon was good. The format is better. Welcome to the new and old committee members. It was great weather. Not too hot and not too cold. The track conditions were not good, but how good was it? that everybody helped to shift the track in a short period of time and volunteers working all night to give us that new track? Special thanks to all those involved. I think the track markers and the layout of our return roads were the best since I have been involved with the Club but we can improve on this for next year. At our Committee meeting we have discussed some improvements we still need to make. We had vehicles driving across one track to the other on return roads, this should not be happening. When people drive some 2 plus miles instead of 400m to a return road, not knowing how far they have travelled. They are endangering other peoples’ safety. On the Friday we had a motorbike go off the end of the track at the 9 mile getting stuck in the mud and the salt. The rescue vehicle went to assist removing the motorbike and got stuck. The motorbike and rider returned to the Pits. He said sorry and then went home while the rest of us worked for another 3 hours to remove the rescue vehicle from the Salt. People placed chains and ropes in the back of the ute to help remove the rescue vehicle from the bog. We returned those chains and rope to the front of the caravan and now they have gone but have since found out that one of the chains belonged to the Mt. Ives tractor. So can anyone help us with where the chain might be now? This is a major issue to return the chain to Mt. Ive. How good were our new Scrutineering tents?! Thanks to the Claire Brothers and their team. I believe they have taken them back to Broken Hill to make some minor improvements. I think we need a new trailer to cart our mats to and from the Lake? Having the Ice Man back and his professional approach to the Club is fantastic! Hope we all continue to support him. Our timing equipment is being checked over by the manufacturer and will be sent on to Brisbane for Paul Lynch to look into making it user friendly for our second track so we can do away with the GPS units, then records can be recognized and run on the short track. Thanks Paul. Gary Satara is going through the rules and regulations for 2015 in conjunction with Bob Ellis. A BIG THANK YOU, For his help and his friendly advice in different areas to the SCTA President Scott Andrews. I didn’t get a chance to meet him but I will make sure I catch up with him in Bonneville in August this year. Wasn’t it great having a professional approach to our radio commentary? So now we are in the market looking for a volunteer to take on this role. Who will come forward? The purchase of our new radios with our own licensed channel was successful but we have had to return them to be reprogrammed so they are all programmed the same , DLRA 1 , DLRA 2 and DLRA 3 is our repeater channel. We have purchased six more hand held sets to compliment fixed units in the vehicles. Thank you to the volunteers that made speed week happen and I hope they return next year, so we can have more experienced people to teach the new volunteers that come along and enjoy this week of racing. On Friday afternoon, Rob Carol, Rod and Carol Hadfield, and I had a meeting at Mt. Ive Station with Joy and John about Speedweek. We discussed the road in and out to the lake, the toilets and dumping of waste, the Salt Bush camp and DLRA camp. We need to keep all of these tidier! It looks like shanty town with the cars and the like. One of the disappointing things is that people throw empty cans on the roadside after leaving the Salt Lake. This needs to change! Mt Ive Station is trying to give city people the shearing shed experience…. Thank you all from the Presidents seat! Let’s all work hard together towards Speedweek 2015 Regards Norman Bradshaw I think most members were happy with the way our last event turned out with the main downer being the wet spot in the track which really affected the more powerful entries. Every time we run an event we learn more, I believe one of the main lessons learned was the layout of the tracks, the turnouts were easy to find and negotiate, the markers were easy to see and read. What happened at one of our three committee meetings we have had since the event really should guarantee the best possible track in the future, a photo taken from a NASA satellite showing our tracks, pits etc and quite clearly the wet spots, had we have had the photo before the meeting we possibly could have avoided the wet spot. Carol has been flat out since Speedweek sorting out the financials, merchandise and orders since the event along with the usual emails to be answered and membership renewals to be dealt with. We are trying to get this newsletter out in plenty of time so members can attend the general meeting and information session scheduled for the 18th of May at the new address which is the headquarters of “Motor Mania” , Unit 5/9 Mirra Court,

Rod’s Ramblings - Rod Hadfield
The general meeting will start at 10am. I wish to take this opportunity to thank Greg Wapling for help given to Carol. Greg is a major asset to the club working behind the scenes, he is always ready to assist, so thanks Greg. He has also taken on the role of Vice President this year. Greg has also written a story with pictures of our 2014 Speedweek and sent it off to Bonneville Racing News.
Since returning home and giving the Commodore a really good wash, cleaning out the fuel system, draining the oil and spraying anti rust everywhere, the rear end mounting system has had to be removed and reworked after we broke the rear uni damaging the diff yoke, tailshaft weld yoke and U bolts. We had managed to make temporary repairs in the pits which got us going again but after spinning at 361kmh recorded on the Motec onboard system, on the next run we decided to quit while ahead as it was obvious with the track conditions that fast runs were out of the question. Spin outs, although considered amusing at the time were very dangerous and I consider it a miracle that no-one received bad damage with those solid chunks of salt which I had never seen there before. On a disappointing note one of our members had his generator stolen from the track during the week, this is totally against the trust all members have had in the past for their fellow racers. If anyone knows anything about this or has any information on this despicable act please let one of the committee know, all information will be treated confidentially. See you at the meeting on the 18th.
Rod Hadfield

General Meeting May 2014

Our next meeting is on Sunday 18th May 2014
and will be at: 10.00 AM
MotorMania,
Unit 5 / 9 Mirra Crt,
Bundoora.

GENERAL MEETING : 10 – 12
INFORMATION SESSION: 1 – 3
BBQ LUNCH - $5 PER HEAD SOFT DRINK, TEA AND COFFEE AVAILABLE
Why not come along and check the venue out!

From the Office
It is that time again. DLRA Speedweek season. The event has come and gone and was a pretty successful event. So the plan this year was to gain another 2 X 200mph records for the Big Knob Racing team and two 200 mph Club red hats - one for Neil Davis and one for Mat Lagoon. The one's missing were John Peterson and Oggie (Wayne Belot) who have been great members of the Big Knob Racing team for many many years. All these guys have done a heap of work on the Big Knob Roadster over the years and have made it possible for me to run at over 200 mph at Bonneville USA, join the 200 mph club here in Australia and have an absolute ball doing it. This year it was Neil and Mat's day in the sun. Also helping out was Steve Streeter and Roy Brand. Elvis from Rod Bods and Miks Signs did a great job on the new bonnet with a modified nose which allowed the roadster to run in both the fuel modified and gas modified classes. This year the road into Lake Gairdner from Iron Knob was the worst I have ever seen. It had rained heavily 2 weeks earlier, badly affecting the road surface and left behind corrugations and washouts. Believe me, it kept my attention for all of the 131 kms to the salt. While the lake surface looked good the tell tale signs of a lot of salt collecting on the F Truck tyres indicated that the surface was soft and not an ideal race surface. In a mild temperature we set up our pits, filled in our remaining paperwork but missed the early closing tech inspection so, even though the bacon and eggs on others BBQs smelt great, early Monday we settled for our pre packaged breakfast bars and tin fruit and we were up early at the front of the line at tech inspection. The roadster passed with flying colours. We went back to the pits and prepared the car while waiting for the short course to open where our drivers had to complete their licensing runs. Matt was first up, he easily qualified for his 125 and 150 mph licences, then we headed over to the long course to qualify for the 175 licence and a crack at the first record we had our sights on. We were warned that the long course was very soft between the 2 and 3 mile. Great! That is where the timing section starts. Matt ran through at roughly 175mph but the parachute failed to release. Bummer! No licence and back to the pits to fix the problem. That night I managed to get up in the dark, trip on my tent zippers, ropes and camp chair all at once and ripped a muscle in my thigh. I know car racing is dangerous, but this was ridiculous! It really hurt! Next morning with Neil driving the Big Knob roadster, parachute fault corrected, he passed his 175mp licence and in doing so set a new class record. Even though Neil said it is bloody slippery out there, we headed back to the pits to prep the car for a 200mph+ run. Early the next morning, after our yummy pre packaged breakfast bars, Yuk!, we were up at the start line. We were the fifth car back, so there were at least four other teams that missed out on eggs and bacon. As we waited our turn on the long course, we listened to reports of the slippery track past the 2 mile mark. But

SpeedWeek 2015 Proposed Dates
Monday 23rd March to Friday 27 (3rd week) 2015

Norm’s Shit Norm Hardinge
It is that time again. DLRA Speedweek season. The event has come and gone and was a pretty successful event. So the plan this year was to gain another 2 X 200mph records for the Big Knob Racing team and two 200 mph Club red hats - one for Neil Davis and one for Mat Lagoon. The one's missing were John Peterson and Oggie (Wayne Belot) who have been great members of the Big Knob Racing team for many many years. All these guys have done a heap of work on the Big Knob Roadster over the years and have made it possible for me to run at over 200 mph at Bonneville USA, join the 200 mph club here in Australia and have an absolute ball doing it. This year it was Neil and Mat's day in the sun. Also helping out was Steve Streeter and Roy Brand. Elvis from Rod Bods and Miks Signs did a great job on the new bonnet with a modified nose which allowed the roadster to run in both the fuel modified and gas modified classes. This year the road into Lake Gairdner from Iron Knob was the worst I have ever seen. It had rained heavily 2 weeks earlier, badly affecting the road surface and left behind corrugations and washouts. Believe me, it kept my attention for all of the 131 kms to the salt. While the lake surface looked good the tell tale signs of a lot of salt collecting on the F Truck tyres indicated that the surface was soft and not an ideal race surface. In a mild temperature we set up our pits, filled in our remaining paperwork but missed the early closing tech inspection so, even though the bacon and eggs on others BBQs smelt great, early Monday we settled for our pre packaged breakfast bars and tin fruit and we were up early at the front of the line at tech inspection. The roadster passed with flying colours. We went back to the pits and prepared the car while waiting for the short course to open where our drivers had to complete their licensing runs. Matt was first up, he easily qualified for his 125 and 150 mph licences, then we headed over to the long course to qualify for the 175 licence and a crack at the first record we had our sights on. We were warned that the long course was very soft between the 2 and 3 mile. Great! That is where the timing section starts. Matt ran through at roughly 175mph but the parachute failed to release. Bummer! No licence and back to the pits to fix the problem. That night I managed to get up in the dark, trip on my tent zippers, ropes and camp chair all at once and ripped a muscle in my thigh. I know car racing is dangerous, but this was ridiculous! It really hurt! Next morning with Neil driving the Big Knob roadster, parachute fault corrected, he passed his 175mp licence and in doing so set a new class record. Even though Neil said it is bloody slippery out there, we headed back to the pits to prep the car for a 200mph+ run. Early the next morning, after our yummy pre packaged breakfast bars, Yuk!, we were up at the start line. We were the fifth car back, so there were at least four other teams that missed out on eggs and bacon. As we waited our turn on the long course, we listened to reports of the slippery track past the 2 mile mark. Butthe big Knob roadster is a stable car at high speed. After years of evolving the suspension we were not that concerned about the soft salt. "It'll be right!" Neil was focussed on running at 200mph+, that would pump his record up and get him one of those elusive red hats. We pushed him off at the start line up, pushing to 60mph and then watched him accelerate away from our chase car. We watched a large rooster tail of salt appear behind the car, I thought that it must be really soft out there. Then the rooster tail turned into a large salty cloud as Neil lost it and the roadster went into a big spin. We continued to chase the roadster, it seemed like forever but we finally caught up to it. Neil was out of the car and fine. He said he was on about 7300 revs which works out to 212mph when he went from driver to passenger. Even though the roadster has a heap of safety backups that shut down systems when a problem develops, this time the car shutdown sort of automatically during the spin as the steering wheel spun and cut the fuel and ignition wires. Because Neil spun before the timing, we didn't get a recorded speed, or the record or the red hat. We towed the car back to the pits and cleaned the salt off the wheels and suspension so the tech inspectors could assess damage. Chief Inspector, Bob Ellis gave us the thumbs up and a yellow sticker to make sure everyone knows the car had spun but had been cleared to run again. Then the next four race cars span, one being Lionel West in Rod Hadfield's Bronze Commodore at some 250 mph. Lionel's spin was pretty spectacular and did do some damage to the car. Even though the damage could be fixed on the salt, Rod and Lionel decided that the way the track was, they weren't going to be able to achieve their goals, so they packed up. It was decided in the interest of safety to close the track and prepare a new course alongside on fresh salt. We prepped roadster for the next day then went to help out with moving the track. I was still hoppling around. The guys all wanted me to have a run, and I thought that I probably could throw myself into the car, but wasn't sure how I would get out if I had to. I decided that rather than wreck what was otherwise a great racing week, that I'd keep the guys in the driving seat for the rest of the meet. So, after Big Knob Racing helped out for several hours preparing the new course, Neil jumped back in the saddle and ran 186mph. He came back saying that even though it was a fresh course, it still felt slippery and he didn’t think it was wise to push his luck. So we sat Matt back in the car for his 175 licence which he got no problem. We tried to run again but we had run out of time and SpeedWeek was over for 2014. It was agreed by all we had a ball, all the talk on the way home was about next year. Next year, we hope to have the long planned Big Knob Racing 1934 coupe finally on the salt. I'll keep you posted. Next month Cruzin Mag will have a full coverage of DLRA Speedweek 2014. See you on the salt Norm Hardinge.

Photographer: MARCUS THOMSON.
Edmund Pearce in Melbourne is hosting an exhibition of Marcus’ work during May 2014. “Enduring hours of sizzling heat, rugged conditions, petrol fumes and roaring engines, the contenders wait their turn to try for a speed record in their cars, bikes and hot rods. This exhibition explores the relationship between the die-hard speed freaks and the arid, unforgiving salt lake.” ….. Marcus Thomson EDMUND PEARCE LEVEL 2, NICHOLAS BUILDING 37 SWANSTON ST (cnr Flinders Lane) MELB, VIC, 3000. WED – SAT 12 - 5

Buy, Swap and Sell
DLRA member from the USA Doug Odom has this Austin

Healey Sprite for sale at $25,000.00.

For Sale......Record holding Modified Sports Salt flats race car. 1959 Austin Healey Sprite body with aerodynamic front end. Full jig built frame made with 2' X 3" .120 wall steel. Roll cage 1.75" .120 wall tubing. 128" wheelbase. Full floating NASCAR Ford 9" Rear end with Rear disc brakes. Race proven Turbo-Hydro 350 transmission. Goodyear and M&H land speed racing tires. Firestone Air springs front and rear suspension with leaf spring on rear. 12 Gal. Fuel cell. 20 Gal. water tank. Full gauges and Parachute. Ready to race with B class 400 CID Chevy race engine. Will sell car less engine. This car has set records at Bonneville, Lake Gairdner, El Mirage and Muroc Dry Lake. This car holds the two fastest Modified Sports records at Lake Gairdner with both drivers in the 200 MPH club. This car will break the B/GMS record and be over 200 MPH at Lake Gairdner. Interested enquirers can contact Doug through Gail Phillips, her email address is: fastdrvr@att.net

What better way to spend a lazy afternoon than watching some of the best Salt Lake Racing footage available by watching Kick Ass Factory's new DVD. Check out ordering details with DLRA Merchandise.

D.L.R.A. MEETING HELD AT Lake Gairdner, South Australia 2nd March, 2014

Meeting Opened: 6.30pm Welcome members and visitors

APOLOGIES: Angela Ashton, Ray Charlton, Deb Dawson, Tony Cooke, Kevin Ryan, Bruce Drum, Shane Gaghan, Jeff Jones, Ron Stayt, Jason Pointing, Wayne Rogers, Mark Bowtel, Rohan Pacey, Nick Hodson, John Flintoft, Edward Sharouni, John Bennett, Anthony Hindman, Craig Thompson, Ian Robinson, David Reid, John Taylor, Ray Charlton, Debra Dawson, Hary DeRee, Mick Turkington, John Dent, Robert Williams Moved: Arthur DeMain, Seconded: David Moore

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING :
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General Business from meeting read out. MOVED BY: Bob Ellis, Seconded Gary Satara

BUSINESS ARISING FROM MINUTES:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• The timing Gear was shipped up to Paul Lynch for him to familiarise himself with the system, test all the gear. Paul gave a quick summary of the possibilities in the future which included setting up a wireless network, the use of generic components where possible to reduce costs and provide redundancy, a video link from the start line to the pits, a digital display of results in the pits, adding a weather station and printing details on timing slips. He estimates a wireless network could be set up for less than $1000. He will be producing a report detailing steps forward.

• A big welcome to Scott Andrews, Southern California Timing Association President and Chief Timer. Scott is out here under his own steam at the invitation of Bob Ellis and some of the other officials who were at Bonneville last year. He was kind enough to make some very generous comparisons with what we were doing here and was impressed with the organisation of the event.

• The first Co-Management Board meeting was attended by Cled and we got a short but good hearing. Speed Week is easily the biggest event in the area. • Emails from Michael and David Gross about the conditions placed on the DLRA under the agreement to use the lake.

• Peter Healey indicated that he would be putting forward a motion for a new motorcycle class.
Moved Dennis Campbell, Seconded Grant Schlein

CORRESPONDENCE IN:

Nothing sent since the last committee meeting.

CORRESPONDENCE OUT:

Nothing sent since the last committee meeting.

REPORTS:

• None tabled

FINANCIAL REPORT:

Balance at Bank: • Working Account $17,700.44 • Loans & Donation Account $22,769.52
Moved Carol Hadfield, Seconded Steve Charlton

GENERAL BUSINESS:

• It has been noticed that several bottles and cans have been discarded along the road. If these people are found they will be dealt with. This is not how we treat our lands. Whilst on the matter all smokers we reminded to dispose of their cigarette butts properly and that glass containers are banned from the salt.

• There have been several members who have turned their loan to the club into a donation. The club very much appreciates this generous offer and would like to be able to recognise those people is some way. If there are any members wanting to make their loan a donation is to contact the Secretary in writing.

• A request was made for Scott to address the meeting. He started by remarking on how both organisations are in similar situations, being the largest user of their area. He then went on to say that we can both learn things from each other and that there should be a constant exchange of information between the 2 organisations about the safe way to do things and to do it with respect. They also have a leave it as you found it policy. The condition of the salt is definitely better here in Australia, he does miss the casinos, but loves the camp and the fact that everyone is together and how it gives the ability for people to talk amongst themselves. In closing he said that we should enjoy the uniqueness of an Australian Speed Week and all that it offers. • Late information from Performance Metals, they want to put $500 towards a best presented trophy to be selected by the Technical Inspectors.

• There was a call for a round of thanks for the work the Clare Brothers had done in building the new shade structures for tech inspection. There was general acceptance that this was a great design and could be used to construct more structures at the start lines, the ramp and for merchandise and if the Clare Brothers were up for it the club would provide funds.
Moved Rod Hadfield, Seconded James Sargent. Motion Unanimous Colin will publish specs on the forum, but expressed concern for the storage of shade structures in the camp containers.

Meeting Closed: 7.15pm

Minutes of Committee Meeting 24th March 2014
24th March 2014 Meeting opened at 7.45pm at the Hadfields residence.
In Attendance: Norm Bradshaw, Rob Carroll, Cled Davies, Steve Charlton, Greg Telford, Rod & Carol Hadfield. An attempt to connect for a Skype conference call between the above, Greg Wapling, Bob Ellis & Michael Brixton was made but wasn’t able to be conducted.

Action Items from last Committee Meeting:

• Lake Omeo – Cled passed Carols contact details to Gavin Murphy.
Action: for discussion at next Committee meeting

• Timing Equipment – Norm Bradshaw is to deliver the timing equipment to Greg Wapling on the 25th March for Aaron Clarke to assess what would be required to build a system suitable for our short course.

• Greg to write Letter regarding questions in the MOU – Done, an MOU was signed at Lake Gairdner by Glen Wingfield one of the observers and Cled Davies our President at that time, the Secretary has this in the file.

• Greg to contact Paul Lynch for a report after Speedweek and include a list of any damaged equipment- This item is to be held over until the next Committee meeting at which time we should have a report

• Cled to contact Plucka regarding vehicle permits and a procedure document if an incident was to occur during Speedweek. Norm Bradshaw is to contact Plucka to obtain details of what procedures need to be followed in the case of an incident so that we can include this in our Operations Manual he is also to enquire about the process of obtaining vehicle permits.

• Email to be sent to Arthur Demain regarding his services for Wastewater Treatment plant – Done.

Future Speedweek Dates set:

2015 Monday 23rd March to Friday 27 (3rd week) Proposed dates for following four years

2016 Monday 7th March to Friday 11th March (2nd Week)

2017 Monday 27th Feb to Friday 3rd March (only week suitable)

2018 Monday 12th March to Friday 16th March (3rd week)

2019 Monday 4th March to Friday 8th March (2nd week)
Action: Carol to contact Gawler Ranges Co-Management Board, GRAC, DEWNR for approval and then contact Joy Newton with these dates.

Dates for General Meetings were set as follows:
18/05/2014
12/10/2014
18/01/2015
There was a discussion on whether to have our future General meetings at White Rose Receptions in Thornbury, whilst it is a great venue and location our members attending these meeting have been declining making the cost quite large. After discussion we decided to hold the May meeting there and seek an alternative venue.
Action: Carol to book the venue for May.

Date for next AGM - 22/03/2015 – it was agreed that this would be the best option

Proposed dates for Committee Meetings
07/04/2014
12/05/2014
09/06/2014
14/07/2014
- Carol not available 11/08/2014
- Bonneville 08/09/2014
06/10/2014
10/11/2014
08/12/2014
12/01/2015
09/02/2015
09/03/2015
All Committee members agreed with the above proposed dates.

Correspondence In:

Letter from Penrite Oil offering Sponsorship in the form of prizes and giveaways along with offering an expert speaker.
Action: Carol to respond in writing and suggest that we take up the offer of a guest speaker for a General Meeting and request prizes and giveaways for our raffle. Norm Bradshaw is also going to phone the Club Support Manager.

Email from Jason Curtis offering his Ambulance or Fire & Rescue skills for Speedweek 2015.
Action: Carol is to email him for further information and advise him that we are interested in his expertise.

Emails from Eric Norton suggesting an information night at his premises and raising the public profile of the DLRA and Speedweek.
Action: Carol to respond to Eric and suggest that we hold our October General Meeting at his factory and have an information session afterwards.

Correspondence Out:
Email to Gail Phillips thanking her for donating the signed Bonneville book for the auction and the resulting figure of $1200.00 received.

Finances:

Working Account: Balance $78,066.92 minus unpresented cheque to DEWNR for $3,500.00 making a total of $74,566.92 available.
Loans & Donations Account: 26,460.85
Three people have converted their loans to donations totalling $2,000.00 Petty Cash: $314.50
Invoices to go out to Auction purchasers: $1134.00 Performance Metals Sponsorship of $500.00 – There has been no correspondence on this.
It was moved by Stephen Charlton that the Secretary/Treasurer be paid $12,000 remuneration that had been due in July 2013 but not paid as the club didn’t have the funds at the time, seconded by Norm Bradshaw. All in favour

Accounts to be paid right now: Total $18,339.02
Bob Ellis - Helmet stickers $110.00
Shane Ciccozzi - fuel $464.00
Fuel for DLRA Truck $912.44
Castlemaine Copy Centre - Rule Books & Magnets $929.50
Mark Weragoda Signs - Windscreen Stickers $291.50
Lester Franks - Surveyors $3,102.00
Bury Plumbing $4,950.00
Vicroads - Truck Registration $1,075.20
WFI - Truck Insurance $213.84
Cowden Insurance - Public Liability to 6.03.15 $3,773.00
Castlemaine Office supplies - Stationery $114.02
Nostalgia Highway - 2014 Speedweek tin signs $1,567.50
BP - 137.12 Litres unleaded $222.00
Receipts - steel etc purchased in Adelaide $85.66
Cled Davies – Misc. event expenses $528.36
Action: Carol to pay these as soon as time permits.

Reports from Speedweek:
No reports have been received as yet.

General Discussion:
Did the three Monitors attend Speedweek? Glen Wingfield is the only one that reported to the Race Director.
Action: Steve Charlton is to investigate whether the other two actually attended.

Purchase of more hand held radio’s
Action: To be discussed at the next Committee meeting

The Diesel pump on the old Generator at the DLRA Campsite is damaged.
Action: Rob Carroll is to investigate whether it can be repaired or will need to be replaced.

Some of our Portable toilets will need to be repaired.
Action: Norm Bradshaw to speak to Trevor Beck regarding spare parts owned by the club.

Locks for new Generator.
Action: Cled Davies is to organise these.

There was discussion on the track markers.
Action: Rob Carroll and Greg Telford are to write a track layout procedure which is to be adhered to.

It was decided to send appreciation letters to: Brook Denning, Andrew Madin, Greg Telford, Robert Ness and Kevin Johns for the time and effort put in by them at Speedweek.
Action: Carol to do this.

It was decided to purchase 25 -30 4x6ft tarps to sell.
Action: Rod Hadfield to source these.

Next Committee meeting: 7.30pm Monday 7th April

Meeting closed approximately midnight

Minutes of Committee Meeting 7th April 2014
Meeting opened at 7.45pm at the Hadfield’s residence.

In Attendance:
Norm Bradshaw, Carol Hadfield, Steve Charlton, Rob Carroll, Greg Telford, Greg Wapling Skype: Bob Ellis, Chris Hanlon, Stephen Bridge Visitor: Rod Hadfield
Apologies: Michael Brixton

Minutes from Previous Committee Meeting:
Moved: Stephen Charlton Seconded: Greg Telford

Action Items from last Committee Meeting:
• Lake Omeo – Lake is still dry and the local policeman from Bairnsdale who is part of the organising committee was asking is there a chance of a meeting this year..
ACTION: Norm to contact him and maybe visit this week.

• Timing Equipment - Aaron has checked the chronometers and one that would not start is now fine after replacing the batteries and resetting it. The other one was found to have a faulty radio; this has been returned to the manufacturer. All the equipment remains with Aaron.

• Accident Response Procedure - Norm Bradshaw has contacted Plucka about drafting this procedure he has promised to have something for us in the coming months.

• Dates for Speed Week - The only response received so far is from Joy Newton. We understand that there may be a Co-Management Board meeting this coming week.

• Venue for General Meetings - Eric Norton has offered his factory for our future General Meetings and the 18th May information session.

• Penrite Oil Sponsorship - Carol and Norm have both followed up, now awaiting details from Penrite.

• Jason Curtis volunteer offer – Scott Lewis has confirmed that Jason does not hold any medical certificate or qualification and could not be used as a first responder. Russell Branson is making enquiries as to his status in the SACFS. So it looks as though the response to Jason will be that he is welcome to volunteer for any of the positions offered, just like anyone else, but will not be required for emergency services duty.

• Indigenous Monitors - Steve Charlton has been advised by Andrew Starkey that we should only be paying for the services of the one monitor who presented himself to officials and carried out his duties as agreed. We have not received an invoice for this yet.

• Hand Held Radios – Norm contacted our supplier about the purchase of more hand held radios and after some arrangements was able to secure and very good offer for the club of $375 per unit for 6 units. These units will be identical to the ones we already have so we see a benefit there as well. We acknowledge the advice of Trevor to wait but believe that this offer is too good to pass up.
ACTION: Norm to arrange for purchase of 6 handheld radios.

• Diesel Pump - Rob Carroll picked up the pump tonight and well seel if it can be repaired or will need to be replaced.

• Toilet Spare Parts - Norm Bradshaw has spoken to Trevor Beck regarding spare parts for the portable toilets and Gary Brennan confirmed what we have and where they are. Steve requested that some hinges also be purchased along with pop rivets and tech screws to make repairs at the working bee. Also need hinges for start line caravan, but don’t know what sort.

• Key for Padlocks for new Generator - Cled Davies is to organise these. No update on this

• Track Layout Procedure - Rob Carroll & Greg Telford have volunteered to write this and should have something available for comment by the next meeting. Greg has received some photos from Bob Ellis of the track markers used at Bonneville, which are black garbage bags on 2 sticks drilled into the salt placed every quarter mile. Also have some ideas to assist vehicles returning to the pits.
ACTION: Rob Carroll & Greg Telford – Track Layout Procedure.

• Appreciation letters – Carol is yet to send out appreciation letters to Brook Denning, Andrew Madin, Greg Telford, Robert Ness & Kevin Johns. Are there any others we should include? • Merchandise – Tarps - Rod Hadfield has now ordered 30 tarps. Rod has also made the base for the aerial as requested.

• Event Co-Ordinators Vests - Carol will get these made in the coming months.
ACTION: Carol Hadfield – new vests. Correspondence In:

• Email from Joy Newton with an account for Tractor hire - See committee response in General Business

• Email from Gary Satara requesting more information from the Accountant that prepared the financials for the club. Gary has also offered to draft up a suitable letter and to ask those who have given loans to the club to convert the loan into a donation. The committee felt it was inappropriate to send out a conversion letter and that it should be entirely up to the discretion of the donor. Financials will be done after the Easter break.

• Email from Michael Brixton regarding the account from Joy Newton.

• Emails from Bob Ellis - See committee response in General Business

Correspondence Out:
• Emails as per Action Items from last Committee meeting.

Finances:
Working Account: $54,100.34
Loans & Donations Account: $ 26,461.28
Petty Cash: $309.50
All accounts as per last Committee meeting minutes have been paid. We still haven’t received an account from the Doctor ($3,300.00)
Due to family commitments I haven’t entered anything into MYOB since before last Committee meeting. Will be back on track after Easter and before the General Meeting in May.

Reports Received since Speedweek:
• Chief Timers Report
• Chief Starters Report
• Chief Car Stewards Report • Chief Motorcycle Stewards Report Registration, Event Coordinators and Event Directors report to be available soon.

General Business:
• Tractor Hire – Norm finally got Joy on the phone and the first thing he did was apologise for the uncleanliness that it was left in, but that it was due to the rescue of emergency vehicles and circumstances we could not have made allowance for and we were happy to pay for the cleaning of the tractor. He also explained the disappearance of the chain and that he was chasing this up. He has tried to contact Brook Denning, Andrew Madin and Neil Davis with no success to date, but will be following this through. He also spoke to Joy about the significant increase in the rate for the tractor. Joy explained that she had taken the advice of her manager in raising the fee. After discussing this with Norm, Joy indicated that she was happy to drop it back to what we paid last year which she thought was $80 and this was agreed over the phone. Norm has since discovered we only paid $45 per hour last year and were not charged for transport as we were this year. The advice given to the committee is that typically a tractor and driver and implement with fuel you would expect to pay $100 per hour. But a dry hire, where it is just the tractor the fee is normally around the $60 mark. So as not to set precedence for future hire, Norm will now go back to Joy with a view to obtaining a lower rate.

• With the General Meeting being moved to Eric’s factory come the need for seating and cooking. Greg can get plastic chairs for $8.50 each and a BBQ for $97, so for about what it costs us for 1 meeting at White Horse Receptions we can set ourselves up for good. ACTION: Greg – Purchase 50 chairs and a BBQ

• Information day – There was discussion about postponing this until the next meeting, but that would be October and too late for any prospective racers. But to get the most benefit from the information day we need to advertise it ASAP. ACTION: Bob Ellis – speak to Cruzin Magazine ACTION: Carol Hadfield – speak to Australian Street Rodding ACTION: Eric Norton – follow up with any other publications
• Registration and Permits for Club vehicles – Norm has spoken to Plucka, who has advised we need to produce a list of all vehicles with ID plate details so that the appropriate permits can be obtained from Wudinna prior to the next Speed Week. Norm also showed Pluka the motorcycle recovery trailers and he was happy that these would remain exempt.

• Performance Metals award - The committee based its decision on what they thought was the criteria given by the Chief Car Inspector at the award presentation last year. Bob confirmed that there were no set criteria and that Performance Metals had left it up to him. It was unanimously accepted that no mention of the award would be made until we actually had the prize.
ACTION: Bob to document the criteria for this award in case it happens again next year.
ACTION: Carol to send Performance Metals an invoice/reminder

• Wastewater Treatment Plant - Craig from Dept. of Health had a meeting with Joy from Mt. Ive about the wastewater issues for Speed Week, he also had a meeting with DEWNR and the DLRA at the lake of the Wednesday. The result of those meetings was that an exemption to the regulations would be looked upon favourably by the Dept. of Health and that an evaporation pit would be a much more suitable solution to this problem. Craig outlined what had to be done to request an exemption. This will leave us with a treatment plant to sell, but we won’t be doing this until we have actually secured the exemption.
CTION: Greg to Draft a letter of exemption to the Dept. of Health (copy to Joy Newton who will be doing her own letter)
ACTION: Greg to Draft a letter requesting support to be sent to prominent people eg. Local Members of Parliament, Council, Chamber of Commerce

• Short Track Timing Equipment – The committee is keen to have a timed short track for next year. Once the existing timing equipment can be sent up to Paul Lynch, he can then determine what components can be sourced locally and what we need to buy from Event Timing. At that stage we will have a solid proposal to work with.

• Newsletter – the next issue will be out in time to promote the 18th May General Meeting and Information Day. Any items for the newsletter are now called for and should be sent to Carol.

• The newsletter to include a request for a large vacuum talk to clean the portable toilets. It was observed this year as to how well emptying the toilets with a vacuum tank worked. The idea is that we obtain our own smaller tank. This will save dragging over rough roads them to the new evaporation pond.

• Follow up with Bonneville Racing news to see if we can get some coverage of the event included.
ACTION: Greg to contact BRN

• DEWNR report – Greg Telford received a verbal report form the rangers on the Friday. They were basically happy with the event. The only changes they could recommend were for the access road directly off the ramp. They suggested using more witches hats and closer together to better define the route and to maintain a single lane in each direction. Also to purchase an additional 30 mats so that as holes appeared in the access road they would be placed over them. A 25KPH sign 200 metres before the ramp on the road in. Greg did make the offer to drag the access road after everything was cleared off but the rangers instructed Greg to just leave it.
ACTION: request report from DEWNR for the event.

• In closing the meeting our new President congratulated the committee for all they had done and called for all members to remain positive in our approach and that this would make for a much better organisation and that we could then achieve all the goals that we have set ourselves.

Meeting closed at 9:48pm

Dry Lakes Racers Australia – Annual General Meeting 2014

Date: Sunday 2nd March 2014 Location: Lake Gairdner, South Australia The meeting was opened at 7:30pm by the President.

Welcome to Country by Mick Starky We live in Port Augusta, Ceduna and the outback and are made up of Kokatha, Banggarla and Wirangu tribes. We recognise that many people here today have come a long way. We accept that the natural conditions can work against us. Have a good time and enjoy your week.

Apologies
Angela Ashton, Ray Charlton, Deb Dawson, Tony Cooke, Kevin Ryan, Bruce Drum, Shane Gaghan, Jeff Jones, Ron Stayt, Jason Pointing, Wayne Rogers, Mark Bowtel, Rohan Pacey, Nick Hodson, John Flintoft, Edward Sharouni, John Bennett, Anthony Hindman, Craig Thompson, Ian Robinson, David Reid, John Taylor, Ray Charlton, Debra Dawson, Hary DeRee, Mick Turkington, John Dent, Robert Williams
Motion that the apologies be accepted. Moved Gavin Manning, Seconded Gary Satara

Minutes of the Previous Meeting
We’re not read out, but accepted as true and correct Motion that the minutes be approved.
Moved by Dennis Campbell, Seconded by Colin Clare

Business Arising from the Minutes
· Any outcomes from the Native Title discussions? They are continuing.
Financial Report Bank Balance as at 31/12/2013;
General Working Account $17,700.44
Loans and Donations Account $22,769.52
See Profit & Loss statement attached. A review of the statement was given by Gary Satara.
Motion that this report be accepted. Moved by Carol Hadfield, Seconded by Cled Davies

Correspondence In
· Notice of motion from Queensland members that; “The Annual Fees & subscriptions be increased to $100.00 per annum”
· Notice of motion from Cled Davies that; “The annual fee for active membership of the Dry Lakes Racers Australia be increased to $50.00 per annum”
· Letter and account for $1,500 from Carey Accounting re checking MYOB files and producing a Profit & Loss Statement and Balance Sheet for year ended 31/12/2013 Moved by Russell Branson, seconded by Norman Bradshaw

Election of Office Bearers for the coming year
The election was presided over by Dennis Campbell, all positions were declared vacant and nominations were called for. If there is only one nomination per position or the incumbent officer wishes to remain and is unopposed there is no need for nominations.

Executive Committee

Position | Nominee | Nominated by | Successful

President | Norm Bradshaw | Steve Charlton, Lionel West | Norm Bradshaw

Vice President | Greg Wapling Michael Brixton Bob Ellis | Steve Charlton, Steven Kell Norman Bradshaw, Ross Brown Tom Rabold, Mathew Saunders | Greg Wapling

Secretary/Treasurer | Carol Hadfield Steven Bridge | Gary Satara, Norman Bradshaw Chris Hanlon, Bob Ellis | Carol Hadfield

Co-Race Directors | Steven Charlton Chris Hanlon | Nathan O’Connell, Grant Schlein Victoria Heenan, Steven Kell | Steven Charlton Chris Hanlon

Event Coordinator | Rob Carroll Greg Telford | Rob Carroll Greg Telford

Public Relations Officer | Eric Norton | Eric Norton

Committee Members | Bob Ellis Steven Bridge | Bob Ellis Steven Bridge

Committee of Management: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer Race Director, Event Coordinator and two other active members.

Technical Committee

Chief Car Inspector (Joint) | Bob Ellis | Bob Ellis

Car Scrutineers | To be arranged by the Chief Car Inspector

Chief Motorcycle Inspector (Joint) | Graeme Hadley | Bob Ellis Gary Satara | Graeme Hadley

Motorcycle Scrutineers | To be arranged by the Chief Motorcycle Inspector

Chief Starter (Joint) | David Leikvold | Chris Hanlon Cled Davies | David Leikvold

Assistant Starters | To be arranged by Chief Starter

Short Track Starter | Rob Cranfield | Declined No further nominations | Open

Chief Timer | Paul Lynch | Rod Hadfield Arthur DeMain | Paul Lynch

Assistant Timers | To be arranged by the Chief Timer

Camp Coordinator | Trevor Beck Gary Brenan | Declined Bob Ellis, Cled Davies | Gary Brenan

SA Liaison Officer | Open

Rule Book Coordinator | Gary Satara | Bob Ellis, Mark Dunn | Gary Satara

* These nominees were not present at the meeting and will be contacted to confirm that they accept the nomination/position.

Contest Board: consists of the voted committee positions including the Technical Committee and Race Director Rules Committee : made up of Rule Book Coordinator (Chairperson) , Chief Car and Motorcycle Inspectors and the representative of each category of vehicle Incident Review Committee: Rules Coordinator (Chairperson), Chief Car and Motorcycle Inspectors, Race Director and other members as appointed by the Contest Board. The meeting was then handed over to the new President. Norm thanked Cled for the work that he had done during his time as President and reminded everyone that we wanted to keep coming out here for a long time to come.

General Business
· A motion was then put by the Queensland members to increase the annual fee to $100 per year, based on the requirement that they wanted to see more improvements for the club. As can be expected, this generated much discussion. The main thrust for the supporters was that the club needed more money to run the club and the event. Some other comments included; general members are not maintaining the costs generated by them to the club. The main comment from those against was that the revenue from any increase in fees would be negated by the number of members electing to by the annual fee. Other comments included; the club was founded on a life membership, that it is only a couple of years ago that the $25 fee was introduced and that this rise was too much too soon; it’s not about the money, it about tenure; the motion is premature and will make membership drop. A suggestion that a motion be put asking, “do we wish to raise fees” was deemed to be out of order because you can’t move a motion against a motion. A vote was eventually taken and the motion for an increase in fees of $100 per year was lost.

· A motion was then put by Cled Davies to increase annual fees to $50 per year. More discussion along the same lines. A vote was taken and passed by a clear majority.

· The date for the next Speed Week will be selected by the committee as a matter of priority. However it should be noted that even after a date is selected it still has to be approved by the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (DEWNR) and the Gawler Ranges Co-Management Board (GRAC)

· The new committee will also set dates for the General Meetings for the coming 12 months.

The meeting was closed at 8:45pm

==============================================================
THANKS TO THESE SPONSORS
The DLRA thanks the generous support of these sponsors and encourages all members to support them purchases of products and services.
==============================================================

JET HOT
The hottest in heat management coating
More power less heat, unmatched durability, great looks!

To order call 1800 700 HOT (468)
Free call or Tech Info (03) 5470 6416

Jet Hot Coating Australia
26 Elizabeth Street Caastlemaine VIC 3450
www.jet-hot.com.au

--------------------------------------------------------------

Did you Know?
Back on the Market
Australian made 2” drop stubs to suit
Valiant and ‘A bodied U.S. Chryslers
HD-WB Holdens including Toranas
& CF Bedfords
’55-‘56-‘57 Chev
Ford XK – XG, Mustang ’66-’73, Fairlane,
Mercury, Granada, Grand Torino,
Futura & Sprint.
03 54723868
03 54724629
0428 122206
sales@stubtech.com.au
www.stubtech.com.au

AUSSIE DESERT COOLER
High Performance Radiators
34 Macquarie Drive, Thomastown, 3074
Melbourne, Australia.

MASTEC
Since MASTEC's (formerly Waste & Recycling Supplies) introduction into the Australian marketplace some three years ago, MASTEC® MGBs (Mobile Garbage Bins) and components have earned an enviable reputation for quality and performance in the field -particularly in terms of the their robust design and construction.
"...over 1,200,000 MASTEC® MGB’s [are] already in use throughout Australia and New Zealand."

MASTEC® Australia Pty Ltd
25 Temple Court, Ottoway SA 5013
PO Box 930 Glenelg SA 5045
Phone (08) 8444 2100
Fax (08) 8447 2032
Website www.mastec.com.au
Email info@mastec.com.au

Performance Metals
02 4577 7769
www.performancemetals.com.au

MSCN - Motorsport Connections
Safety and Plumbing Specialists
- On-Board Suppression Systems
- DJ Racing Suits
- Parachutes and Harness Sets
- NeckGen and HANS Device
- Speedflow Hose and Fittings

Sydney
Motorsport Connections Pty Ltd
Unit 15, 4A Foundry Road, Seven Hills, NSW 2147
Phone:02 9838 7272 Fax:02 9838 7271
Toll Free: 1 800 242 910 sales@mscn.com.au

Melbourne
Motorsport Connections Moorabbin Pty Ltd
Factory 7, 1-7 Friars Road, Moorabbin, VIC 3189
Phone:03 9553 4200 Fax:03 9553 4270
Toll Free: 1800 242 910 marcos@mscn.com.au

www.mscn.com.au

Lazy Afternoon
What better way to spend a lazy afternoon than watching some of the best Salt Lake Racing footage available by watching Kick Ass Factory's new DVD or flicking through Peter Vincent's new book that covers two decades of salt photography. Check out the attached flyers for information on ordering.

STAMPS HOT-ROD COLOURED SEAT BELTS
Custom made to compliment your cars interior For a free quotation and information on our full range, contact
Neil and Desma Stamp
44 Browning Street, Kangaroo Flat 3555 Bendigo Victoria
Telephone (03) 5447 7555 Mobile 0409 333 314
Technical Enquiries 6p.m. – 10 p.m. 7 days.

Fire Suppression Systems
Available from
OG Speed Shop
65 Og Road Klemzig South Australia
Ph: 08 8261 7931 or 8261 7700

Suitable to replace Halon systems, as fitted to Australian Rally Cars.
Contact Leonard

Cambridge Concrete Services
Bob Ellis #202
25 27 Harrier Avenue
Loganholme QLD 4129
Ph: 0418 733 191 A/Hrs 07 3801 4050
Fax: 07 3801 4160

ROBIN CSEH'S SMOOTH METALLICS

Sculpting classics of the future from bronze, silver and gold.
Investment castings for the finest detail, strength and tollerance

*Event Merchandise *medalions * Jewellery *Awards *Gifts
*Mascots *Artifact Restoration *Custom Sculpting Anything

1 Russell Street Springvale VIC 3171
Telephone 03 9546 6867
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor