theTRUTH

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

russelllowe

Re: theTRUTH

Post by russelllowe » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:57 pm

Hey Harky,

The thing about race car wings ... F1, Supecar, Touring car ... is that they need to work at a range of speeds. There has been some cool #cheating in F1 where the mount for the rear wing was made weak so that it flexed (altering the angle of attack) and created less downforce/drag at high speed (they weren't supposed to have adjustable aero). But it shows that the static design was weighted towards low speed downforce.

My wing also needs to work across a range, but it's from 180mph, where I think I'm starting to loose traction and 220mph, where I recon I will definitely be challenged.

I like glider wing design as a precedent because they don't have a motor, so simultaneously can't tolerate drag and need something to lift them up. They seem to be thin and long.

Some info here on the effect of winglets and the overall shape: https://jonkersailplanes.co.za/aerodynamics/

Would be good to cut the back off one of these sailplanes and smash it up the back of theTRUTH ...

Cheers

russelllowe

Post by russelllowe » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:05 am

Hi All

Another question for ya ... I've found a supplier of LSR tires in Adelaide, but now I'm struggling to find a wheel rim to suit ...

For the D2870, which is rated to 320mph, I can use a rim between 5.5” – 7.5” wide. But the sticking point is that it needs to be 18" in diameter.

I've found a 18x6.5 steel wheel for a snow tire in Canada ... but what are people using locally?

Any ideas?

Anyone using the D2870?

Cheers!

Jason P

Post by Jason P » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:16 pm

Try Adelaide Wheels and Rims 08 83526266

Assen

Post by Assen » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:01 pm

Hi Russ, the D2954 is what I've been using for years with no issues. It fits to a 15" rim which opens your options and the OD is same as hayabusa which means your ratios will be OK. These tyres do grow by up to 2" at speed even when pumped to 100 psi.
The guys at North Terrace Tyres are good to deal with
AA licenced
1st open bike in the world over 260mph - both ways
Red hats = DLRA, SCTA, BUB