Given that this decision by the committee took place last Sunday night there has been a lot of water gone under the bridge since then and it looks like there will be additional challenges before this is over or we return to some sort of normality, when who knows.
On the Sunday teleconference we decided to call a postponement instead of a cancellation only because of when we had called cancellations in the past some entrants were still keen to run later that year and we wanted time to evaluate that option.
I have asked the committee for it's feedback on running another event in 2020, but I also want you, the members to see and be a part of the dilemma that we are faced with.
Here are some of the facts as we see them.
Not even considering the availability of medical fire, timing and other officials.
- When looking at the availability of the lake there is really only May or November / December.
- With May not really being an option as it's too close and the virus has still not reached it's peak yet.
Which leaves November / December. We may be out of the influence by then, but we don't know. There may be other forces at play, we may still be dealing with the pandemic. There may be other forces at play, already this morning some of the so called experts are saying we are heading into a recession.
- Some will argue that November / December is too close to our normal Speed Week, which for 2021 is currently scheduled for March 8-12 and that it will pull entrants from that event. There is the option to pull forward that date to 15th February
- There will be those entrants who wont be able to attend an event in November / December for a host of reasons (no leave, spent their bikkies, other commitments that time of the year)
- A November / December event may get rained out, or even the March event in that matter.
I would be interested in knowing who would commit to an event in November / December and who would prefer us to run in February / March 2021.
PS I'm deliberately not putting this up on Facebook as we don't need every armchair expert offering their 2 cents.