DLRA SPEED TIMES Issue 19

The Official publication of the Dry Lakes Racers Australia

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

DLRA SPEED TIMES Issue 19

Post by DLRA »

I have just sent issue 19 off to the printers (thanks Norm and Vicki). For those that subscribe it is now also available online.

I've also tried something new this time, sending out a text only version as an email to members only. I'd be interested in comments about this.

Contents
Cover - 2003 Speed Trials 1
Newsletter Sponsors 2
Contents 3
Presidents Report 4
Rods Ramblings 6
Don Noble 6
Web site and Email 6
Wazavudu on Show 7
Driver Profile - #120 Chris Fraser 8
Double Nickle Speed Week 8
Extreme Horsepower Show 10
Newsletter Sponsors 11
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
hawkwind racing

email newsletter

Post by hawkwind racing »

Greg
recieved and read thanks if it saves the club a few $$ IM all for it though I think there are not enough members on line for it to overtake the news letter , a bit like this forum under utilized and seldom used compaired to other forums Im a member of
Hawkwind
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

Post by DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281 »

Yep got the newsletter on line ok . i agree with saving on postage and time . An idea :shock: maybe a page with the advertisers , if too hard to do with pics maybe their names in big bold letters .
oh yeah and further to my article about my journey and the overheating problem , i put a new radiator in .. duh ..
outbacktrev

E-mail newsletter

Post by outbacktrev »

G'Day Greg,
The Internet idiot managed so you must have made it easy. This medium would do me as a club cost saving measure but not a lot of people use this medium probably due the general age of particpants in this form of motor sport and the uneasiness with the dreaded computer maybe?
See Ya at the salt 2004
Regards,
Trevor #298
Chris Hanlon

There is life

Post by Chris Hanlon »

I thought this bloody forum was dead but have found a little activity lately.
last time I tryed to post something the gremlins got it and it didnt work so I'll try again. Is anyone planing on racing this year. Don, do you plan on a return journey to the salt. Its a little bit infectious isn't it. I raced in 2001 and intend to race this year but the clock is ticking and I've still got so much to do. I'm having tonight off, and intend this to be my last night not working on the ute before racing. The to do list still includes, build extractors, extend cage foward to include front strut mounts. Position and make upper mounts for struts. Make Struts. Finish porting two pairs of heads, scratch build intake manifold. Build two race engines, (two classes plus nitrous gives me four classes to run in.)
Mount fuel tank and run fuel system. Fit and plumb nitrous. Make chute and push bar mounts. Lower rear suspension and reset pinion angle. Complete rewire including wolf 3D. Make front air dam. Make bonnet scoop. Reco gearbox. Plumb and fit fire system.
And after that I get to finish cutting the back out of the Bus and make ramps etc to fit ute in.
I sure hope someone else has a longer list than me, my wife keeps saying "your not going to make it" I think I will.
Mr Hawkwind racing, how goes your project.
Anyone else out there going to the salt or racing. Put finger to keyboard and lets liven up this forum.
Seeya on the salt. Chris 8)

Home of the Worlds Fastest Ute

Endeavour to Persevere
hawkwind racing

so much to do so little time

Chris
you win , thats a mountain of work you have , me Im back to one project and only a shadow of what I wanted to complete for 2004 , just finished working out gear ratios and fitted the appropriate gearing and the electrics for emergency ignition and fuel shut off and all the nitrous electrics , at present Im scratching my head trying to work out where to fit the nitrous system as just about every space is taken , thats where you car blokes have it made lots of places to fit extra's
using this year to sort out the N2O , will have the HP to top 200 mph ,so hopefully it all comes together
Hawkwind mem #282
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

yep Chris , i,ll be goin again . am building another engine at present . converting the 3ltr sohc to twin cam 24valve . progressing well . will drive car down as usual . probably leave the friday before the event
jbrough

Post by jbrough »

Guys, I also have a heap of work to do for the meeting. The car is untouched. Build or buy a new engine, buy or steal a big turbo, and go like the clappers.
Chris Hanlon

Post by Chris Hanlon »

G'Day
Had a big week with lots of time on the race ute. Finished fuel tank mounts, interior cage apart from door cross tubes, 3/4 finished extractors but need more manrill bends for last bit, sealed front firewall and made firewall behind seat to seal fuel tank area. Bolted in ballast. Sent front hubs to the machine shop to go to Ford bolt pattern. Ordered cam from C.O.M.E today and back to work so only have nights and weekends for ute from now till racing. Porting heads last night and tonight then continue making sheetmetal intake manifold.
Mr Hawk. I've thought on your space problem and the only area I can see you fitting that N20 bottle is between your legs. It may be a trifle uncomfortable to begin but once you hit the button the natural clamping effect will hold it quite firm and it wont move about at all. ------(Bloody bike riders, there all nuts, he'll believe this)-----
Hi Don. Good to hear. So a DOHC 3lit. That will be interesting. Is it a straight foward conversion?
Mr Guest. Welcome aboard. What sort of vehicle?
Any more closet racers out there.
Anyway back to the lab. They only let me out for short bursts.
Seeya Chris

Endeavour to Persevere
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

HI CHRIS
conversion im doing is fairly straight forward , head bolts straight on , had to reposition cam belt idler pully , am using a mazda timing belt . got all the info and detailed instructions off the internet , makes it a whole lot easier . hard part will be wiring it up , mating the 2 harnesses up will be fun .
DON
hawkwind racing

getting ready

where there's a will there's a way , with a welder , metal and fiberglass I now have managed to fit a 2.5 lb N2O bottle , a 5 ltr supplementary fuel tank , all the solenoids , relays ,electrics, valves , filters , pressure guage and nozzles without spoiling the aerodynamics or lines of the bike and its all unseen, im now painting the new fiberglass tail section :lol: hope this does not bode ill took the bike for a quick plug chop with my brand new $300+ tyre when I returned it was flat ,a big nail through it , now I have to purchase a new one as I won't repair it and use for high speeds :x :x
well guys back to the shed , hope you are all having as much fun as I am
Gary
PaulinOz

Post by PaulinOz »

Hi Guys new to hear but will be racing a bike in March all being well.

(Bloody bike riders, there all nuts, ) I can not diagree with that and I am one, last September at The world of Speed Bonneville I was looking after Breakfast and lunch for a team of 48, Standing half asleep at the BBQ at 7am starting breakfast and become aware that sombody is next to me with somthing over the hot Plate. Closer look through bloodshot eyes reveals one of the mechanic types warming up a pair of NOX bottles prior to instalation in the heated cradel on race bike. I asked if it was dangerous or had he ever had any problems doing this befor. He laughed "I wouldnt be here if somthing had gone wrong doing this in the past" I left cooking breakfast till he had finished.

Anyway looking forward to catching up in March
Paul Rogers
Chris Hanlon

Post by Chris Hanlon »

G'Day all.
Got the hubs back tonight and sat her down to ride height so I could set up front strut top mount position and then work out how much rear leaves have to be reset. She looks mean as hell, very close to the concrete. Heads off to the machine shop for a tizzy. Big weekend ahead, finish struts and pull back springs out. Work on intake.
Yeah Don. I hate wiring. It just plain sucks. Sparkies are born with different brains to humans and thats how they do it naturally.
Go Hawk. Sounds like your on the home straight.
G'Day Paul and good story. Facts are funnier than fiction eh.
Sounds like its going to be a big meeting this year.
Seeya Chris

Endeavour to Persevere
hawkwind racing

shit hey I got no chance "bloody bike rider " and Im a " sparky " as well :lol: :lol: wiring is simple welding aluminium now thats a challenge
hawkwind
Chris Hanlon

Post by Chris Hanlon »

G'Day Hawk
On this we will agree; thats why I'm making my sheetmetal intake out of mild steel
Seeya Chris

Endeavour to Persevere