DLRA SPEED TIMES Issue 19

The Official publication of the Dry Lakes Racers Australia

Moderator: DLRA

DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

chris hanlon

Post by DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281 »

hi chris
just curious as to exactly what you are racing and in what class , from what i read you are racing a UTE , am i correct or wrong .
regards DON NOBLE
hawkwind racing

ready to rock & roll

Post by hawkwind racing »

sorted out a few gremlins and tested all is GO! 8) off to the dyno in Sydney next month as I need to remap the EFI , I can hear the big white dyno a callin :D
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
hawkwind racing

ready to rock & roll

sorted out a few gremlins and tested all is GO! 8) off to the dyno in Sydney next month as I need to remap the EFI , I can hear the big white dyno a callin :D
Chris Hanlon

Post by Chris Hanlon »

G'Day Racers

Heh Don. The thing I'm running is an XP Falcon ute, the grey one you have possibly seen on the salt. We raced it first in 2001 but dropped a valve at 150 mph. This was a budget motor and was not unexpected.
This year the best decision I have made was to turn her into straight race car and no more street duty. This makes every decision on the vehicle easy as there is no longer a need to compromise. I will run a 333 Holden stroker with red heads as the prime race engine in C Modified Ute- -C-M/Ute then with nitrous run in A-M/Ute. I also have a spare 304 Holden which will allow me to run D and B without and with N20. This motor is my step sons so I've got to bring it home alive or I'll have to build him another.
Ignition is controlled by a Wolf 3D, carb a 930 Barry Grant (Two Monkeys with big buckets on steroids) This is not good as C16 race fuel is $7.5 a litre.
I have a dual plate ceramic clutch that will handle 1000hp. Single rail Ford 4 speeds that will not?
I've changed this year to a nine inch so I could fit a 2.5:1 gear and spool with 26.65 inch rear tyres.
This gearing will hopefully drag the engine down and make the nitrous work harder as is its charecteristic like, instead of going into instant wheelspin.
I'll have another 2.75:1 centre and 24.5 inch tyres to play with ratios as required.
The ute is stock external body shape, now lowered to around the same height as Bob Ellisse's Coupe
My race motor is built pretty tough this time, its four bolted with forged slugs, good valves and I,ve spent another 40 hrs inside the ports. I'm making a sheetmetal intake, although this has gone to the simmer section whilst the rest of the ute catches up and I'll get back to it if time allows.
The cam is a bit bigger (just turned up from Chev offroad you ripper)
Last motor made 460 HP at the wheels so I'm hoping with more Gas and the extra mods on somewhere between 550 to 650HP.
This I think is a bit beyond the gearbox but there is always a weak link, Ask Rod.
Well ain't that a long winded answer to your question.
I'm up to wiring, I'm paying the sparky to help. (I point, he does) Gee its the easiest part of the project so far.
Heh Hawk We can see your so excited, you hit the button twice.
I hope to be at the same stage as you in 4 weeks.
Your right, theres only one true dyno and she takes no prisoners. Seeya there.
Home of the Worlds Fastest Ute

Endeavour to Persevere
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

THANKS CHRIS
yep got your ute on video in 2001 , i was just spectating that year . by the way my ph # 0413546380
Chris Hanlon

Post by Chris Hanlon »

G,Day all

Been pretty busy in the lab but progressing. Finished fuel system, motor and box, diff, cage, steering ,suspension, seat and belts. Wiring to finish tonight? or soon. Shit I'm stuffed. Lots of detail stuff to go. Hope to fire it up over the weekend? or soon. Followed by a visit from the local cop after half the geriatric neighbourhood ring him. His good, he has an F truck with a big block and has developed a bit of an interest in my project. As long as I can bed in the cam B4 it goes up for the dyno.
Heh Hawk you been on the dyno yet? Whats happening.
Don does the Skyline go yet?
Seeya for now, this month is going to fly and pretty soon we'll be looking at that amazing lake again.

Chris
Home of the Worlds Fastest Ute

Endeavour to Persevere
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

well the engines all done , the 3ltr dohc 24 valve variable valve timing conversion that is ,( only one problem its still on the engine stand ), starting on sunday to put it in .
got a bigger throttle body done , xf falcon t/b bored out , equivelent to 650 cfm . got extractor flange plates done and ported to head , inlet manifold ported to head . trying to understand the wiring , got a good sparky around the corner whos been warned i,ll be needing his services .
got the exhaust mob ready to do the pipes , and once all thats done its off to chip torque to dyno and rechip the puter . gees have i got enough time ??????????????? . yep im getting tired too , but aint it fun .
hawkwind racing

Chris dyno on the 21st then the big white dyno all is ready except for some fuel flow testing next week to confirm that the fuel pressure is not to low when running static pressure is ok (for the N2O)
Don the old Dato should fly what are you expecting ? chris hope you get every thing finished in time
see you all at Lake Gairdner
Gary : :D
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

well i would like to go 150 mph , but the dyno will tell how much its got , so maybe have better idea after thats done .
well got the old engine out yesterday
went to toowoomba swap meet on saturday and picked up a set of moon discs , thats got be worth another 50 mph hehehehehe

Post by Guest »

So Don
After you've done your 200 mph run can I borrow those discs. I'll make it Hawk don't you worry about that. Booked the dyno for this weekend and next if we need more time. Fire up and bed in cam tomorrow. Everything takes more time than you bargain. Bloody ECU won't read the TPS is the latest problem but some computer sparky nerd will sort that tomorrow I hope.
Seeya soon Chris

Post by Guest »

Hawk
Just done fuel test myself. 9 litres in 9 seconds at 9psi. That better be enough.
Chris
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

engine and gearbox assy still not in , been flat out running the business , but should drop it in this weekend . personally me thinks moon discs are more for show , i may be wrong but how do you prove it , anyway they look cool , and are part of salt flat racing tradition .
hawkwind racing

forget your password Chris (guest ) :lol: lot of fuel flowing there are you using a return to tank reg? my requirements are a little more modest 750ml /60 sec @ 6.5 psi yes a real big pump ,but these little buggers are harder to get than the big boys but this is enough for my 75 HP on the bottle will know next Saturday what my RWHP is going to be , this W/E I'm getting the trailer and tow vehicle ready and starting to look at a portable carport or shelter for the salt. Don dont cook the old girl on the way down anyway see you all at speed week
Hawkwind :D
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

well i hope it wont cook on the way there this year , had a new radiator put in recently . but gees was i cooked yesterday making the scattershield , heating , bending and welding in the heat . so today in goes the engine .

Post by Guest »

G'Day again.
Yes Hawk she has a Madden fuel doctor reg with 16mm id return. My dyno man always complains he can't get enough fuel to my motors so I thought I'd fix him this time. Fired up and prelim stuff on dyno done. At alignment shop today. She sounds unbelivable. Dunno why I'm a guest now, more computor bugs no doubt. Keep at it Guys
Seeya Chris.