LAKE GAIRDNER 19th Sept 2007

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Yes i was there on Sept 19th . Theres still a little water around the access area and as far as i could see around the edge of the lake . It was very shallow , maybe an inch or so deep and only extends out from the edge for about 50 mtrs . Len Newton said the water had been recently blown down from the northern end of the lake . We walked out about 200mtrs and found the surface had lots of potholes maybe an inch deep and around 1/2 metre in diam . The further we walked out , the better the condition of the surface and the potholes became fewer . Theres a fair bit of debris lyeing around , sticks , branches etc . The salt is "growing " on the debris , making big lumps out of little sticks . Again it got less the further we walked out . We walked out in beautiful sunshine , and why did we only walk out 200 mtrs, cos it bloody well well started to rain , the wind was freezing and then it started to hail ( sounds like Victoria weather 4 seasons in one day )
Also had a look around the camp . Everything was pretty well intact apart from the barriers blown over at the end of the shower blocks . only 2 cars had flat tyres , a red commodore had one flat tyre , and one of the Moe boys falcon had a flat tyre .
All the water tanks are full .
We timed it perfect for the spring wildflowers ( totally unplanned ) . Have never seen the countryside look so healthy and the colours pretty spectacular . Toured around the main attractions of Mt Ive station , even went to the top of Mt Ive , hey now thats a pretty rugged track , be warned .
Stayed in the stone cottage at the homestead for 2 nights , was great especially the recently bought Borossa wines under the stars and chatting with other travellers .
I got in touch with our resident wine buff ( Dirty Dave )in the Barossa Valley , who steered us in the right direction for the good wines and resulting fuzziness .
Also visited the national motor museum at Birdwood , and saw the POP motorsports streamliner on display , cant wait to see that vehicle run .
Well it was great to see Mt Ive station as a tourist , and its well worth the effort and still a great place to be .[img][img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z83/DGNOBLE/R001-012.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z83/DGNOBLE/R001-011.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z83/DGNOBLE/R001-017.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z83/DGNOBLE/R001-006.jpg[/img][/img][img][img][img][img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z83/DGNOBLE/100_7479.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z83/DGNOBLE/100_7478.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z83/DGNOBLE/100_7477.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z83/DGNOBLE/100_7480.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z83/DGNOBLE/100_7481.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z83/DGNOBLE/100_7473.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z83/DGNOBLE/100_7407.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by DON NOBLE on Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 15 times in total.
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Norm

Post by Norm »

Ahhhhhhhhhhh the great Don. Thanks for the great feed back.
Did ya take any picks?

So how fast did ya get upto walking back to land? heehhehe Break any land speed records? :mrgreen: :twisted: :evil:

Norman
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

as you can see , i got the pics up . I,m not real flash on sizing pics , is why they so huge
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Thanks for that Don ,the place looks very different with some vegetation and flowers :) I hope the lake improves its condition before next March, those potholes and hardtail suspension :shock: ,Im starting to get a bit toey for some salt action
cheers
Gary
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Thanks for the update Don. Great pics.
The rain has certainly changed the landscape.
Lets hope your visit scared off any remaining rain ensuing the 2008 event will be a goer.
Graeme H
weezilco

Post by weezilco »

Don, thanks for the great photos! The wildflowers are amazing. Wonder what that red one is.

If you need to resize images, all you need is any image editor- even MS Paint (included with most versions of Winblows) will do it. Check the help file in the application you're using, should be very simple. 800 x 600 pixels is a good size for posting images inline in a forum like this one.
Flat Lizard Racing - 50cc motorcycle WLSR

Brian - DLRA #409 - Blue Mountains, NSW
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

weezilco wrote:Don, thanks for the great photos! The wildflowers are amazing. Wonder what that red one is.

If you need to resize images, all you need is any image editor- even MS Paint (included with most versions of Winblows) will do it. Check the help file in the application you're using, should be very simple. 800 x 600 pixels is a good size for posting images inline in a forum like this one.

The red flower is the Sturt desert pea , state flower of Sth Australia , it was on side of the rd about 2 kms nth of where our DLRA sign was . There were a few other clumps of it around . Have lots of pics of the scenery and wildflowers , but you all being BLOKES , figured better not put too many pretty fings up .
Funy , heard ppl at the station calling the dirt rd between Iron Knob and Mt Ive , the highway , sheeeesh . Actually the road condition was the best I,ve ever seen .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Thanks for the update and the shots Don , could you see any of the mud under the surface ?....Gee it looked stormy out thereand hail you reckon...actually sounds more like Sydney weather to me than Melbourne :lol: liked the shot of the salt growing round the stick! and nice shot of the Desert Pea...
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
DON NOBLE

Re: LAKE GAIRDNER 19th Sept 2007

Post by DON NOBLE »

Dr Goggles wrote:Thanks for the update and the shots Don , could you see any of the mud under the surface ?....Gee it looked stormy out thereand hail you reckon...actually sounds more like Sydney weather to me than Melbourne :lol: liked the shot of the salt growing round the stick! and nice shot of the Desert Pea...

No couldnt see the mud under the salt , it felt really hard the salt , but i didnt have a " testometer????" to check it .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
Dr Goggles

Testometer

Post by Dr Goggles »

but i didnt have a " testometer????" to check it .

is that like when they hold 'em and you cough?? :oops: :lol:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
momec

Post by momec »

Thanks for the report Don,

Do you think the grown over branches etc will leave a problem area once the drag has been run accross them, that is are they buried deep or almost on the surface?
I saw the huge amount of debris in March so can only presume it will be dotted along the race track area as well as the edges of the lake.
Chris
Acme Racing #251
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

The Sturt desert pea is a rear find mate , never seen one in the flesh ,
I wonder if the salt bush in camp will still be there it looks like they have had more rain than down south,
The Wild life would have been real active when the feed is good, did you see much about,,
As for the Salt its most likely that november will bring some Summer storms and put more water on the lake, which will help settle the sediment further into the salt bed,,,fingers crossed..It all dry for Speedweek..
As for the wine, you can't go to far wrong out of the smaller cellar door,
they make wine not massive profits.
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

[quote="C Hanlon"]Thanks for the report Don,

Do you think the grown over branches etc will leave a problem area once the drag has been run accross them, that is are they buried deep or almost on the surface?
I saw the huge amount of debris in March so can only presume it will be dotted along the race track area as well as the edges of the lake.
Chris[/quote
The sticks and small branches are just on top of the surface . They are grown over with salt , but a swift kick with a testometer no 2 ( steel cap work boot ) and they break away from the surface . I figure once the surface has been dragged , all the sticks and branches will have to be picked up . So we will have to make sure we have plenty of early arrival volenteers to help out on that one .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Thanks for the photo's and update Don.
That bunch of Sturt Desert Peas are the best I've ever seen.
The area does look good (almost worth a trip just to see the wild life)
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
flathead

Post by flathead »

Don,
The photos of the camp makes me home sick to see my favorite home away from home.
Racers are not, I think we can all appreciate the pictures of the flowers. What are the ones(dare I say pink) with you in the picture?
Let's all hope and pray that we don't have a redo of last March.
One thing about it, everyone should have plenty of time to get their racer ready for a full week of runs.
I'm putting my money on the counter later this week. I think there will be some damn good racing going on this coming March.
Thanks again Don, see you in March, 2008.
flathead (aka Dooley)