theTRUTH

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

russelllowe

Re: theTRUTH

Post by russelllowe »

I'm in Cobar.

Pretty happy to be about 1/2 way to Port Augusta.

Hope everyone else's trips are going well.

Cheers!
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Everyone,

Hope all your preparations for 2022 are going well. I've just realised I didn't do a post event wrap up ... which seems a bit rude.

I've also got some kind-of-big news for 2022, so here we go!

On the way out from iron Knob I was following a big truck when I hit the big sandpit ... luckily it ended just as I felt the truck was beginning to bog. Another 10 meters and I recond I would have needed a tow out of it. Otherwise the trip went well, same on the way back.

No drama in scrutineering, there was some interest in my funny clutch setup, but nothing from a safety perspective.

Got two runs in, the first was on Monday. It was a planned shake-down run so was only looking to cruise through at about 175mph maybe give it some more if all was fine. The bike went well, leaving the line is always a struggle and I found it hard to get the feel of the new clutch actuator ... it was my first attempt so that was always going to happen. From memory I recon I stalled it twice before getting gone. I started really getting on it from the 1 3/4 mile marker and all was fine until about the 2 1/4 flags ... right then, for a split second, it felt like I lost both front and rear wheels. Obviously, that put the willies up me a bit. I got off the throttle, had a wee think about it, then got back on again because all seemed fine. Rolled off the power after the 3 mile marker and turned out at the 4 mile exit (the 3 mile exit always comes up a bit fast for me). The timing slip said 179.522mph. I would have preferred a bigger number given the fright I just had, but I'm not sure that’s how it works ...

Sat out Tuesday, partly because it was pretty blowy and the little slip up was playing on my mind.

The second run was on Wednesday. It was still a bit blowie, but I'd pulled myself together and convinced myself that the wet patch that probably caused the traction issue had probably dried out. The start was better this time. One and done. I aimed to sit at a constant 5,500rpm through the mile. I think it was more about 5,300 ... that felt comfortable. Added 10mph from the first run, 189.916mph. Then I got a bit excited, thought if I could get a better run I could go over 200mph and if really, really, lucky I could go well over at get my red hat. We tried to get through impound as fast as possible. Shot back up to the start line. Then it pissed down.

Game over.

A huge thank you goes out to Richard Assen and his team. People often say “I couldn’t have done it without you” but as I was out there by myself this was 100% true. Richard’s guys helped me get it out of the truck, onto his race trailer, off the start line, and back to the pits. Incredible.

Finally, some kind-of-big news …

2021 was the last year for “theTRUTH”, it was designed and built to go over 200mph and while it’s disappointing not to have reached my goal with this bike I’ve decided I’m going to reach it a different way. I’m going electric.

This year I’ll bring out an entirely new bike … the opposite of “theTRUTH” in almost every way. Being electric it’ll be quiet for a start. It’s also front wheel drive.

p.s. if you’re in the market for a LS3 V8 check out my ad in the for-sale section of the DLRA forums. “435hp V8 race bike motor, one owner, always garaged, low miles.”

Cheers!
harky

Post by harky »

need a story , that was a good read
ya don’t put that much hp and TORQUE through a small contact patch without it getting scary at some point
Are ya watching the Dakar ( 5pm SBS ) there are 3 electric AUDi s going very fast , they have an ice engine generating “ top up “ battery power
I have progressed a bit , just mounting my 4 metre bike to my dyno , it has to go on backwards , so needs a frame ect
Not stuck on being there this year , virus ect are big factors , and i need to test it somewhere before i go to to the lake
must update my diary our “ things “ are quite different to most creations
So. might only be Richard and I in the long bike parking area —- and because you are going to make buzzzzzzzing noise you might be banished :) :) :lol: :roll:
cheers R.
harky
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

uuummmm, interesting,, im 'ole skool, brought up riding horses and could not understand it when those pesky noisey mechanical contraptions came on the scene, muddy roads, needed a certin flavoured water (and pump) to energise them, so what future did thay have :roll: , :lol: :lol:

so your selling the LS1, am I to assume the electric is going into your existing chassie ?
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hey Harkey,

Haven't seen the Paris Dakar (this year), but electric off roaders are going great guns in general! Theres a purity to them that I imagine is a little like sailing vs motor boating.

Oh, I'll be in the long bike queue in 2022 ... something about once you go long you never go back, is that the saying? It may be buzzy at "high" speed, but at low speed it's like that movie Tron; the first one.

Hey Statie,

Nope, all new everything.

There's room for passengers so I'll be sure to take you for a spin to see if yours might be an electric future too ...

Been wondering if I start a new thread, the new bike is called K-Pop.

Cheers!
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi William,

Yeah, it has been a while between drinks!

I've started a new bike since then ... finances being somewhat problematic ... bit of a bitsa, made from what I could find laying around the workshop, some GSXR750, some GSXR1000 (about a decade inbetween models), a bit of ally here and there and not much love. I'm calling it "La Cocaroacha" because despite all the abuse the motor doesnt seem to want to die. "The Zombie" may also have been a good choice.

It's pretty conventional, apart from being a plug in hybrid ...

I've just got it rolling so will push it to a brighter part of the workshop and take some pics if you are interested?

Cheers!
RGV

Post by RGV »

Hey Russell, i would be interested in some pics of your bike. If its in the same caliber as "The Truth" it will be good to see its develop.

How long is the extension cord going to be?

Dave.

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF