FEET FORWARD AG1350

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

russelllowe

Re: FEET FORWARD AG1350

Post by russelllowe »

Hey Harky,

Quick thought, will make a model tomorrow to see if it may work, but how about sliding your ass forward, shoulders drop, knees up and use your shins as wind deflectors; like a baby in a womb ...

Would necessitate shifting your steering forward, and be one further step up the queerness ladder, but why stop now right?

Cheers!
harky

Post by harky »

Queerness ladder. how rude πŸ€”
some boB person we know , refers to it as the β€œ hammock” . double rude πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”
and all from a man wrestling 6 litre bike i can always bolt the forks and front wheel back on and. de hammock. it

we will have to park in the β€œ special β€œ build area. maybe have an entry fee
what 10% of nuthin ?
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hey Harky,

Yeah, we are definitely up the top end of the ladder ... plenty of others here to keep us company though.

It occured to me one of the (many) advantages of feet forward is being able to use your body as streamlining. This is kind of the pose I meant:

Use those shins to guide the wind up and over your head/chest ... I'm sure a few bits would sneak through for a little tickle, but it's the thought that counts isn't it?

Cheers!
harky

Post by harky »

Russell
my first mock-ups were like your sketch , i didn’t feel β€œ planted β€œ , with my legs straight i can push myself into the seat more .
the bike will in the long term go from from A to APS , but that’s a long way off .
Steering under the legs is much more comfortable than it looks , people who have sat on it are also surprised. All this is at shed speed , so may be very different at any speed .
I am being β€œ blown β€œ into my seat , as compared to being blown off a sit on bike , my helmet rest is a plus for head / neck support .
How this thing responds to steering / body movements is an unknown, and turning off after a run may take the width of the lake
πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”
harky
DLRA #643
harky

Post by harky »

ok bit of an update β€”β€” everyone is jumpy about now β€”pre speedweek jitters yes no yes no. and the virus 🦠 makes it x2

This will not be ready for 2021 ,i could have made a big effort , but i want to test it ( somewhere) before i front to a speedweek
it sure is low and long , up on the jig when i made it , it was difficult to get a perspective of how low i am sitting
i can stabilise it sitting in/ on it , but the trainer wheels are essential
harky
DLRA #643
BONES

Post by BONES »

Harky
This is looking a bit queer---- hammock like--- but very interesting. :D
For some constructive criticism. What is it like if you put some weight between the rider and front suspension?
Is it a bit springy?
Are you going to bring a bike to SW?
I've been trying to do Russell's thing with the aluminium body work. Only thrown a couple of pieces away. So this year
is a naked 650.
see you soon Bones
harky

Post by harky »

Bones , what ya can’t see is the chassis is triangulated , there is a 50x50 RSJ in the centre , below the rails , and 1.5 stainless V-ed sheet , welded to all that , forming 2 triangulated rails === very ridgid and torsionally strong ya need to see it to get the what i am saying
2 rails would not be acceptable at all .
harky
DLRA #643
harky

Post by harky »

A technical drawing i prepared. just for you πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
harky
DLRA #643
harky

Post by harky »

I should have put these photos up long ago , to show the chassis is NOT 2 rails , but a lot more than that , the sheet 1.5mm stainless , is a β€œ semi” monocoque and the end result is a very ridge chassis
someone will want to argue the term monocoque, yes it is not that , but uses the sheet stainless as a part of the chassis strength the photos are in random order , they tell the story better than my written explanation πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”

Last edited by harky on Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harky
DLRA #643
BONES

Post by BONES »

Oh, now I see. that's much better.
What kingpin angle are you going to use?
With the LCR type sidecar chassis we used down to 5* for the steering hub. Steering was light enough and sometimes a bit twitchy.
With 10* (maybe) the steering was heavy but stable. This was with an 8" tire
See you at the lake
Bones
harky

Post by harky »

yep the photos of it on the ground don’t show any of the chassis stuff
there is other stuff to bone β€”β€” but you will have to see it in the flesh
My caster angle will start at about 5 deg , ( i had some correspondence with Richard A ) 5 was my thinking as a first test , Richard confirmed he uses similar
my other discussion was about steering cable and rod ends for them , i am using 6mm rod ends ( Auorour β€”- that and NMB are the quality brand names ( you most likely know that )) the spec on 6 mm is something like 5000 kg breaking point , they just look small I will have all that sort of information for a tech inspection, centre hub bearing spec ect , certified steering cables
pictures of my steering handle bar post , the front swing arms use 3/4x3/4 NMB ROD ENDS ( heim joints to some ) they are the best quality , and need to be , i have rubber boots for some of that stuff β€”β€” WHY DO WE PLAY ON SALT πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜³
harky
DLRA #643
harky

Post by harky »

ok. many of us are locked down
there has been some steady progress , and final assembly, wheel / chassis alignment was a process i could write a book on , lots of parallel string , lazer lights , spirit levels , front and rear wheels being vertical ( ie little or no difference between their vertical alignment ) , busa chassis alignment ( swing arm / rear axle ) then front and rear axles , then front and rear centre line - s. I had had some stuff β€œ gold β€œ zinc plated , zinc primed and industrial enamel painted all the relevant parts . power coated front and rear wheels ,fitted Latest Bridgstone RS11 tyres, final assembly of the centre hub wheel , am pleased with my alignments , but i will redo all that as a final and more accurate ( well under a mm ) pre event checks . Still have to make a front wheel guard , engine sensors ( and other sensors β€” front / rear wheel speed ) have to be configured in the Motec M 84 . , The Plex 120 pro , data logging dash has to be setup ( it will log a lot more than the Motec has the capacity to do ) β€”β€” ( something i struggle with β€”- but persist ) The bike doesn’t fit my bike dyno , so have to make a system to put it on β€” backwards ( the dyno roller doesn’t care which way it turns ,

harky
DLRA #643
BONES

Post by BONES »

Verry cool Harky. Now for some bodywork

Bones
penny

Post by penny »

i like the 2 batteries , very sensible , cheers Paul