why all cow is flawed

Moderator: DLRA

ROSS BROWN

Re: why all cow is flawed

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Hey Mossy.
I WILL BE LOOKING OUT FOR YA.....
I take it you'll be the one wearing socks and sandals..under those leathers
and ya hanky with the knots tied in the corners....

Cheers . The jandal wearing Kiwi ...
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

hay Ross, i went and watched the outfits go round Saturday night, :D , didnt go into the pits as i was wearing thongs, sorry jandles, :lol: ,, i noticed on tv on Monday night when thay were interviewing Treloar and Christopher that both were wearing what appeared to be nomax under their leathers, did i see right?, and if so is it mandority with the sidecars, :?: ,, jus curious is all, :)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
zork

Post by zork »

They dont wear leathers, rather kevlar suits with some padding and armour and T shirt and jocks, No fire proof gear here.
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Stayt'ie

No it is not mandatory to wear nomex undergarments... but some riders and passengers do..
Kevlar suits are not worn by all the competitors..(preferance thing ) While the kevlar suits are comfortable stretchie and light
they don't have the impact resistance of leather.. the rooster tail from a outfit in front (a mix of dirt ,stones, sometimes rocks
and the occasional nut and bolt) will leave you with bruising while wearing kevlar yet the cow hide seems a bit more protective..
Both Darrin Trealor and Scott Christopher are both "very" aware of there mortality... Darrin was involved in an accident at Pioner Park
about 8 years ago that came very close to taking his life..and Scott has had more than 1 of those Honda's explode underneath him..
As well as I can remember Scott and his passenger Trent Koppe have allways worn nomex undergarments with double layerd high necks
I seem to remember Darrin with heavy Blue cut of skivie that looked to be made of nomex and a white double layerd nomex neck collar..
Myself I wore a heavilly knitted hand made black wollen neck collar that I seemed to treat like a childs security blanket.

As zork imformed us . we all wore or wear some other forms of padding or armour (not mandatory) and back protectors that are mandatory.

Also 2 of the times I found myself and passenger trailing flames behind and around us . we rode the outfit straight to the fire truck ,
which was parked on the infield...problem solved allmost insantainiously...
Will struggle to do that at the salt...

Ross.
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

They make it
I make it work
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

Hey Ross
Glad to know you'll be looking out for me, I'm sure I'll need all the help I can get :)
Reading all this is making it sound dangerous, maybe I'll just stick to the mechanicing and find someone else to ride it :?
Contrary to popular opinion I was actually born in Australia so my normal attire is dunlop volleys and a bucket hat. :D complemented with either an echo holder or a wine glass :lol:
What I have got for myself is an Allegro cooling beanie and have just ordered a vest from this place here.

http://www.maximumsafety.com.au/allegro ... -s/634.htm

This will hopefully keep me cool while waiting in the start line up. May even be able to wear it under the leathers?

Re back protectors, I'm assuming they are better being worn under your leathers :?:

Cheers Mossy
Only 58 more sleeps before we get to the lake :D :D
DLRA # 959
firemanjim

Post by firemanjim »

A couple points here boys---
First, the All Cow rule came about after Jon Minonno had an oil fire on a Triumph and the hot oil on his leathers caused the sweat on his legs to flash to steam, causing burns. No flame got to him as a result of ANY perforations or fabric. So the car guys at the SCTA decided to instigate the rules we have now--all without even asking Jon--or any of the other riders-- what had happened. So alot of us here have 2 sets of leathers---our modern protective leathers(Bubs) and our old school all leather leathers(SCTA) that do not offer the same level of protection.
And to those that thought you needed a big fire to cause the steam remember water boils at 212 degrees so not alot of fire needed to flash that sweat. Happened quite often to us in fire service if your turnouts got wet going from one fire to another or you sweated alot(imagine that in a fire!), the heat in a house fire would flash the moisture/sweat to steam without any flame impingement.
And to think any gasoline or oil coming through ventilation holes is going to catch fire inside your leathers is laughable, no way to get an ignitable mix!
Be seeing you soon!
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

"Be seeing you soon !", like February Jim, :?:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
firemanjim

Post by firemanjim »

Got my tickets Ronnie!
firemanjim

Post by firemanjim »

Something to think about---consider the amount of fires on bikes at the salt meets--a very small number--- versus the number of crashes/getoffs--- still a small number but the fire number is a quantum leap smaller than the crashes so which should we be more concerned about? In my mind better crash protection that more modern leathers provide
would prevent way more injuries than being concerned with the possibility of fire. Remember, the SCTA rule was the result of ONE fire.
OLD FLAME RACING N T

Post by OLD FLAME RACING N T »

Graham , Appears i have some work to do to fix leathers. Is RPM Pyrovatex Underwear a good thing says it removes perspiration retaining air gap for heat insulation FIA 8856-2000 approved .
NEIL . Old Flame Racing NT #1079
rgn

Post by rgn »

I went shopping for snell approved helmets today, and these were the only ones I found with any mention of the standard. Do any of these helmets meet DLRA requirements? Click on thumbs for a better view. Cheers.

Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

I have used KBC for my previous 2 helmets , both here and SCTA
newer ones are not as comfortable as the older , currently have a Shoei , only because i packed the wrong KBC in 2011 for Bonneville and had to get a current snell fast
i would have been happy to continue using the KBC ,
rgn

Post by rgn »

Hi Greg, I tried on the KBC and loved it. It has very little rolling movement around the chin strap, and fit my head well without any hot spots.

Is the Snell sticker on the back of the helmet going to satisfy DLRA requirements? I looked inside for additional information or stickers under the lining but their were none. I just don't want to spend the money unless it meets the regs. Cheers,
Ralph.
BONES

Post by BONES »

Hey Ralph
All my Arai hemets have a sticker inside under the lining. Sometimes they are hard to find.
I think you will need this sticker as it is the one with the date on it and the inspectors need to know how old your helmet is.
I have Arais back to 1995 all with the same type of sticker
cheers Bones