APS/G 250

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

AuotonomousRX

Re: APS/G 250

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Had a quick chat to my local Dyno blokes and they said to book in when I'm ready.

I'll pay the rates then it's off to the Dyno 8)

Pete :)
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Well I crunched the wallet and the bike is booked in for the Dyno on 11th June 8am.

Pete

DLRA #866
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

I have a luv/hate relationship with dyno rooms :lol: :lol: ,,

hope all goes well for ya Pete 8)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I remember the first time I had my engine on a Dyno. It was at Steve Masterton's workshop in Liverpool in 1985 thereabouts. It was excruciating. I had to go for a walk down the street but I could still hear the blower screaming. Thankfully it came home in one piece.
Good luck on the 11th June!
GAZ
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

I have a similar story to yours Gary,, 1st time at LAE Racing which was located across the road from the Geebung (Brisbane) railway station,, i caught the train into Toombul shopping center to escape listening to the torture Alex was going to administer on my bike,, a couple of hours later i exited the train, only to hear a 12,000rpm wail coming from across the road, sounded, and all was good :D 8)
harky

Post by harky »

i’ve told this story a few times
i have a inertia bike dyno , it is a 200 kg roller , i was running my LS busa on it , in 3 rd full noise , so the roller. is doing about 2000 rpm , the dyno was sitting on rubber pads on my workshop floor , on this run some balance weights in an enclosed end of the roller became “ un welded “. me , the dyno and the bike went bouncing around my workshop 😳😳😳, my wife came running out of the house exclaiming “ THERE HAS BEEN AN EARTHQUAKE “. yep. only in my shed
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Yes I'm looking forward to it.

I've not had those experiences, I did a lot of Dyno runs at Powercycle Dyno Slacks Creek, thanks Fred, when I was first getting the 250 sorted.
Found a lots of things I would not have found even on road tests.

I discovered that while tuning the carbs is essential, it's only half the tuning job when modifying a smoker.

Things I found over those four sessions and many many individual runs

1: the Exhaust Power Valves (PV) were not opening properly at first.
2: an RGV won't rev past 9500rpm with std port timing and hi compression "race" heads (should rev to 11500rpm std and up to 12800rpm modified),
3: you lose peak power by locking the PVs fully open
4: getting the ignition timing and power valve opening sequence map right is a key thing to getting a smoker to make the most peak power and get a wider linear power band with the Compression/Port timing/Fuel/Exhaust spec you use.
5: I now have a number of Ignition and PV maps to suit the combos I run.

This time will be different as I'm on a two roller Mainline Car Dyno (as I said Mainline do sell an adapter bracket for Bikes as well as their own Bike Dyno).
For the car people a Bike Dyno has one roller so tying it down is slightly different, but I found a pic that confirmed what I was thinking.

To do this I made an adapter bracket to locate and tie down the front wheel, and the rear wheel is tied down using the multiple tie down points on the Dyno.

As you can see it's a frame that allows for the angle on the ramps, then I bolt on my Wheel chock I use in the Trailer. (No I would not use it on a Busa or a ZX12 :lol: )

The other thing is an adjustable clamp with L/R threads to stop the wheel chock moving forward. (it's a anti-squat strut from a Subaru Leone Drag car I used to run).

The rest is done with the tie down straps as per usual.

DLRA #866
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Ok here is my Subaru Leone "Super Street" Drag car at Willowbank in 2000 (Rear wheel drive/RS Liberty EJ20 turbo Engine/C4 auto gearbox.)

It ran 12.5 secs ... I then got a Mortgage and ran out of Racing money :lol: (last I heard it was running at Roma Drag Strip Qld)

DLRA #866
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

due to Brisbane being 1000k south of here, have been using a local car dyno, and strapping the bike "safetly" down has been a major headache, plus we have had drum speed and load issues,,

have been contemplating going back down to Fred's because not only is it safer, but also gives continuity, as it was Alex"s dyno, and had been the only dyno used on my LS bike :)
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Hey Ron

I'm hearing you, I would go back to Fred if I could.

I have read about good and bad Bike on Car Dyno experiences.

I am about 600kms from the Mt Pleasant Bike Dyno, for me it's worth a try, as this one is literally next door.

Here is a pic of a Bike on a Mainline Dyno, similar to the one I'm using, that was successfully tuned. That is basically the way I'll be doing mine. :?:

As you can see it has a front wheel stop bracket like a Bike Dyno. But the rear wheel is located in a different way to a Bike Dyno as it's tied down and back into the two rollers, instead of pulled down and forward into the front wheel stop bracket like a normal Single Roller Bike Dyno.

I'm also think, unlike the Big Bikes, my Bike is 70-75hp max so hopefully securing it is less of an issue?

I'll have a full run down with pics and video as soon as it's done.

Stay Safe

DLRA #866
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Ok went next door and had a pre Dyno fitting session, three cheers it works. :shock:

I tried to lift it and the ramp moved as well. :D

DLRA #866
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Well the Dyno run was pretty straight forward. Getting the Bike set up was simple, as I had done the bracket fitting last week.

The difference in setting it up to a Bike Dyno was having the bracket set up so the Bike could climb up on the roller a little bit.

The Bike itself was not strapped down tight, just held in place so it could move forward about 50mm into the bracket that was fixed down tight.
Getting the Dyno settings was a little more involved than a Dynojet Bike Dyno, but Matt knew what he was doing so that was easy.
I did a run in first gear to let Bike centre itself, then a 5000rpm 4th gear roller speed/engine rpm sync run, then it was ready to go.

I only needed two runs as the tuning was almost spot on, (I had to convince Matt that over revving is not a thing on my smoker. :lol: )

First run was nice and clean but it only went to 11,000rpm, as Matt hit the spacebar early, but it showed the right side was a just a tiny bit "LSR lean" at 1210F, 1/4 turn out on the RH power jet.

The 2nd run revved cleanly out to 11500rpm and bingo, peak hp achieved at 10994rpm with EGTs in the LSR safe zone/and the normal smoker power drop off after peak power.

As this is a different make Dyno the numbers are different, hard to post a definitive number and the Mainline Dynos read lower than a Dynojet.
It read 64.17hp at 10994rpm on the Mainline and that would be about 72-73hp on a normal Dynojet based on what I understand the percentage difference is.
That is consistent with numbers produced with these 300cc engines in that state of tune.

Anyway I now have a 300cc BP Ultimate Fuel Tune and Dyno Baseline/Settings for future engine mods after 2022 Speedweeek.

Take a break from the Bike for now and do the Trailer extension to make more room for the Long Red Bike.

Pete :D

DLRA #866
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

interesting to see the percentage difference at 12-13% between the dynos,,

I also found a similar % difference between the DynoJet giving a higher readout over the DynoTech/Dyno Dynamics, is the MainLine a Dynamics product ?
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Stayt`ie wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:51 pm interesting to see the percentage difference at 12-13% between the dynos,,

I also found a similar % difference between the DynoJet giving a higher readout over the DynoTech/Dyno Dynamics, is the MainLine a Dynamics product ?
Hey Ron

Yeah that difference is consistent, I'm just glad I got a local baseline for the "new" 300cc engine. :)

As far as I know they are a separate company, Mainline DynoLog Dynamometers, Australian made https://mainlinedyno.com.au/

DLRA #866
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Now that's done, I just spent some time looking over the all engine info I have.

So I have sorted out all that Data that is relevant to this Engine and started a new 300cc Engine file so it's not scattered all over my Computer. :shock:

I also took my Air density Gauge into the Dyno room and got my own reading as a reference to take to the Lake.

DLRA #866