why all cow is flawed

Moderator: DLRA

JonB

Re: why all cow is flawed

Post by JonB »

Contact Grumm about non Snell helmets, I did last year.

Sorry I misunderstood when you said it wasn't about money.
Pretty much everyone has gear that they only use for DLRA.
Anyone who competes on a non sit on bike will have a SFI rated suit, underwear, gloves and shoes, a Snell helmet, a HANS device, SFI harness.

jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Montlhery wrote:Thanks Zork ,this was my point and Jon unfortunately no my Aus Standard helmet does not comply with the rules and you will not be allowed to run . I really hope some of the newer members are aware of this and dont get to the Salt with a non SNELL helmet !
Everybody who intends to run at Gairdner should print off and complete the scrutineering check list, We sailed through tech the first year because we went through the list...it's a bloody long way to go... there's absolutely no excuse for having the wrong gear, heads up guys. :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
JonB

Post by JonB »

Dr Goggles wrote:
Montlhery wrote:Thanks Zork ,this was my point and Jon unfortunately no my Aus Standard helmet does not comply with the rules and you will not be allowed to run . I really hope some of the newer members are aware of this and dont get to the Salt with a non SNELL helmet !
Everybody who intends to run at Gairdner should print off and complete the scrutineering check list, We sailed through tech the first year because we went through the list...it's a bloody long way to go... there's absolutely no excuse for having the wrong gear, heads up guys. :wink:
I have one taped to the wall next to my toolbox, so it's constantly in my face.
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

So
we are looking at a moratorium on leathers and helmets for 2013
Looking at the rule changes that have come form the SCTA and the rule change forms that have been sent to myself, Gary Satara and Shane Gaghan
we would be changing the rules again next year anyway and it doesn't make sense to have a set of leathers foe one meeting
This is the proposed wording

7.A.6 Rule Changes:
Add new sentence:
ALL REQUESTS FOR DEVIATIONS TO CURRENT RULES SHALL BE SUBMITTED TO THE CONTEST BOARD NO LATER THAN 45 DAYS PRIOR TO THE EVENT FOR REVIEW.

This is a new addition to the SCTA rules and is probably a good idea

7.C.1 Rider’s Helmet:
All riders shall wear a full-face helmet with face shield, which shall meet Snell Foundation M2005, ECE 22-05P, ACU Gold Standard, AS1698-2006 (subject to inspection and approval), JIS T 8133 : 2007 or later specifications. No open face helmets will be allowed. Helmets will be visually inspected at least once each year. Helmets shall be undamaged, unmodified and in serviceable condition. Eyeglasses worn under the helmet shall be shatterproof. Riders shall demonstrate proper helmet fit and “roll-off” resistance. Helmets for motorcycle streamliners shall comply with section 3.A.2.

this will bring us more in line with the car rules and other bodies like the FIM and I may add a caveat on the AS1698 helmet that they are subject to inspection as I know I can buy an AS 1698 full face helmet for $66.00 wholesale

7.C.2 Leathers:
One-piece or two-piece 350 deg. (zipped together) leather are required and the zipper must be sewn to the leather and not to the lining. Limited perforations or other materials certified by a recognised manufacturer to be suitable for the application are allowed in the armpit and at the back of the leg from knee down. No single panel can be larger than a total of 12 square inches each. Hump (leather or cloth only) on the back of leathers is allowed in partial streamlined classes only.

If you have a small amount of perforations on the front of your leathers you will be allowed to run if you have fire resistant underwear

7.C.5
Add new (old) rule:
A back protector is required in all sit on motorcycle classes

These are the proposed rule changes only
your input is valuable
If you are not a forum member and would like to comment or make a suggestion, you can do so by going to the DLRA contact page and clicking on my email contact link
http://www.dlra.org.au/detail.htm
Graham Hadley
Last edited by grumm441 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They make it
I make it work
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Thank you Grumm ..

Just confirming... These "will be" the rules for this coming 2013 meeting.?

Some thing else I would like to see in a future rule book..
The mandatory wearing of "fire resistant " head socks on all sit on motorcycles..
2 reasons .
1 ..Fire protection to the neck and chin..
2 .. Remove the the chance of directly breathing in fire...

Thank you
Ross
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

Ross
This is what I have proposed
Yours and everyone else who is running a motorcycle's input is valuable
However, if you want a rule change you must use the form or it will not be taken seriously

and unless someone shoots me down in flames
this is what will be OK
If you turn up with a blown CT110, or a diesel A bike, there can be some negotiation
However a blown hyabusa will not receive the same lattatude

Graham
They make it
I make it work
JonB

Post by JonB »

You have my vote Grumm.

Jon
You have pm
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

...ALL GOOD...
Thank you to all involved ..

Ross..
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Good result I'd say. :D

Thank's for sorting that stuff out.

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Ross, i cant go with the head sock proposal, simpely because in 50+ years of bikes running at Bonneville, burns to the face, chin and neck or breathing fire has never been a problem, not even a concern, i agree that it "could" happen, but a lotta things "could" happen, :wink: ,,, enclosed bodywork has been around forever, in the old days a lot of racers ran nitro, there were no such things as full face helmets, everyone wore open face and sunnies,, :roll: , no facial burns from fire, although some facial damage from kissing the salt, :twisted: ,,, if anyone feels thay want to wear a head sock, go for it,,, but i dont feel its necessary to make wearing them mandatory, :)

"we" live in the "lets wrap everone in cotten wool era" , but it has to stop somewhere, :) ,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Stayt`ie wrote:Ross, i cant go with the head sock proposal, simpely because in 50+ years of bikes running at Bonneville, burns to the face, chin and neck or breathing fire has never been a problem, not even a concern, i agree that it "could" happen, but a lotta things "could" happen, :wink: ,,, enclosed bodywork has been around forever, in the old days a lot of racers ran nitro, there were no such things as full face helmets, everyone wore open face and sunnies,, :roll: , no facial burns from fire, although some facial damage from kissing the salt, :twisted: ,,, if anyone feels thay want to wear a head sock, go for it,,, but i dont feel its necessary to make wearing them mandatory, :)

"we" live in the "lets wrap everone in cotten wool era" , but it has to stop somewhere, :) ,,
And this poor guy never thought he would be severely burned, trapped under his bike by a truck bull bar. How often has this happed before? The thing is you just never know mate.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/201 ... fter-crash
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

yup, after 40+ years of riding motorcycles on our public roads, that is one of the reasons i sold my street bike last year, our highways are, imho, a "uncontrolled enviorment" where one is at the mercy of everyone else, :? ,, these days i enjoy riding/racing in a "controlled enviorment", the race track, where, despite what the media says, the risks of what "could" happen are substantiality lessened, :D ,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Stayt`ie wrote:yup, after 40+ years of riding motorcycles on our public roads, that is one of the reasons i sold my street bike last year, our highways are, imho, a "uncontrolled enviorment" where one is at the mercy of everyone else, :? ,, :D ,,
This fact hasn't changed Ronnie,,it was the 1st thing I learn't way back in '69 , BEWARE of drivers in bowls hats, they WILL stuff up and try to take you out, the local council must work afternoon shift, 'cos that gravel wasn't there when I rode TO the pub, but was after closing time,(another araldited sidecover, and pair of Crosbys needed, a friday night habit)
People parked at giveway signs, looking right at you, are just waiting for you to get within range, so they have a better chance of hitting you.
That car which veered left in front of you is not turning left,,they want you to draw along side them in an overtaking manner, so they can change their mind, and turn right,,,
The list goes on,,,,

Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

Some of you blokes really don't get it :? !......the solution must be commensurate with the risk.......if your zeal is to protect every one from every risk every time ,then wind up the club and stop racing.

As Stayt'ie has rightly pointed out we live in a "nannie" state lets not follow this trend in LSR....Our racing activity is organised, rules are in place for our safety and the risks are reduced.... these safety rules are a minimum; if you feel threatened by theoretically possible accident risks feel free to do or wear what ever makes you feel safe....BUT please don't try to make your fears MANDATORY for every one else.

IMO the comfort and alertness of the rider is number 1..........................................................................................................................> the risk of being bbq on your ride is way down here :idea: .

Thankyou Graham and committee for seeing reason and allowing the lee way in the rules for next year :)
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Exactly Gary and Ron, that was the point I was trying to make to, heaps of things could happen, but do they, not usually.

If you look at the likelihood based on the History then the there is no evidence to say that fire is likely to happen on a fully Teched Bike.

If you look at what has been proposed I asked myself these few questions.

Are our DLRA Motorcycle Regs, with these amendments, comparable to other M/C Regs Nationally and Internationally the answer I found was yes.

SCTA, BUB/AMA, ANDRA including Top Bike and the FIM (which cover pretty much all Motorcycle Sport and including World Land Speed Records) do not require Fire Protective Clothing.

The only organisation I could find that had any extra requirement to protect against an engine explosion and was the Canadian Motorcycle Drag Racing Association. You need to wear a Ballistic Vest in a couple of classes, no mention of Fire Protection.

I'd say what has been proposed is actually a notch up on most of the other Regs as we do have a Fire Protection component. They are also a lot clearer to understand so there is a lot less chance of any of us not being able to comply because we did not understand what was needed.

If you want to get your gear checked then you can get it done right up until 45 days before the event. That is not to bad at all.

Thanks to some input from the Members and work by the Tech Officials the Members have got a pretty good deal.

The best thing about them is they are OUR rules. 8)

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866