why all cow is flawed

Moderator: DLRA

JonB

Re: why all cow is flawed

Post by JonB »

I think the risk of an on onboard fire is pretty real.
All the ingredients are there, heat, oxygen and fuel, a ventilated engine case, or fuel leak will get all 3 of them together.
Much greater likelihood that someone on a sit on bike will come into contact with flames than someone in a car or liner as there is no physical barrier between the rider and the whizzy bits.

I have a firewall and a fire suit, my firesuit cost me more than you are talking for leathers.

Most of us will spend more than a full set of dedicated leathers on fuel to get there and back.
jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
harky

Post by harky »

Been some good debate & food for thought
Im still with Ross , I think for the small effort , wearing a balaclava ( fire restintant) is something I will do
The day temp in FEB @ the lake can and will be an issue for us all , but in a set of leathers we will all have to be hydrated and on the ball
50c on the lake is not impossible !

On lighter note , do the drag racers in Canada ----- with their ballistic gear look like this ------------ must be hard to ride !! and crap aerodynamics !!!!
Attachments
hurtlocker1.jpg
hurtlocker1.jpg (239.84 KiB) Viewed 31194 times
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

No heaps more than that Harky, remember most of these blokes ride Nitro Harleys :lol:

If you want to wear a Bala then go for it.

If I had a highly modded 4 Stroke in my Bike with the way my APS fairing is set up, or if I ran APS-F/A-F or had a Turbo Engine, I'd probably wear one. If I was running a midly modded M-G or Prod/MPS with a Stock Fairing I can't see why I would need one.

Given my Bike is a 2 stroke the risk for me is the bike seizing and locking the back wheel and (if I'm not quick enough on the Clutch) spitting me off, not ventilating the Crank and spewing out oil onto the exhaust.

Mind you if you hung a Rod at speed, even if the oil never caused a BBQ, just keeping it upright and getting it stopped, is again, the real challenge.

That's why I think the mandatory stuff is about Abrasion, Head and Back Protection. The other things depends on the Bike and how much it's modded, so maybe it needs to be a "Highly Recommended" bit of Gear in some classes.

I've already put a Rule Change Form in this time, so go for it. :D

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

"People parked at giveway signs, looking right at you, are just waiting for you to get within range, so they have a better chance of hitting you."

tick. Couldn't rationalize my crash, or shall we say "getting run over" ......
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

I don't ride a bike in the DLRA, currently biting tongue.

What I will say is that the coolest thing to wear on the salt is a full nomex. White, breathable, full cover. Stand around half the day in that, leave your race suit in the shade, five or so back in line put it on.

There are a lot of people involved in this discussion who not only haven't raced but haven't even been at Gairdner when it is hot. When I spoke to Tiny today he was nervous about the dates of the event because of the potential for the kind of weather that is dangerous for humans.

There is something the new guys need to know,

YOU SPEND MOST OF YOUR TIME STANDING AROUND WAITING

THIS FACTOR SEVERELY AFFECTED MY FIRST RUN IN 2010 DUE TO HEAT STRESS

Wearing dark or black full cover leathers on the salt for an extended period in full sun when it is in the 40's mightn't kill you, but it will definitely alter your cognitive function.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

MEMORIZE THIS !
Wait,,wait,,wait,,,RUSH RUSH,,wait wait,,then wait some more.
Once these feats are mastered, if you still want to compete,,your more than welcome :shock:
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

what the good doctor said, although id be a bit suss of somewon hanging around in his underware, :lol: ,,

At BUB thay supply shade and a big esky with bottled water on ice, not only at the startline, but at all manned mile markers, 8)

there is "No" education better than your first salt event, the best of good intent before the occasion, is most certinatly very much readjusted after the fact,, :wink:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Yep hanging round in my Perforated Leathers in 2010 in the line certainly was an interesting!! experience and I believe it was not a really hot Speedweek.

I think I better find out what I can wear to stop spontaneous combustion in Feb then Doc.

:idea: Hey Grumm would I get through Tech with the speed Hump full of ice.

Now I no why Umbrellas are a hot item to take and I thought it was for the rain. :D

Pete

DLRA #866
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

let me explain.

In 2010 a rookie on a chook chaser decided it was more important that he skip the drivers meeting so he could be the first person to run on the first day. He ran the long course( no, not legal until you have exceeded 175mph by the 3 and a 1/4 mile mark or are running a 'liner) at a top speed of about 70mph, then they couldn't find the dickhead(*), so the course was closed. We were the second car through tech, another rookie passed us on the way to the start line( yes newbies that's another no-no), so we were about fifth in line. I'd been to the lake four times, and raced the year before but I was anxious, and a little dehydrated. I sat fully suited in the car for nearly forty minutes( Graham farted into the cab too,I have it on video). When I took off I had brain fade and nearly had to repeat my 175mph licensing pass ( got through by 1mph) which was one of the THREE runs I got for the whole week.

1./Everyone who runs at Gairdner should have to attend 1 meet as a non racer.
2./ No matter what you think you are just another entrant.I don't care what your excuse is,none are adequate.
3./This is dangerous, and it is a privilege, the DLRA doesn't owe you anything.

have fun. :wink:

* despite the 100 mile dirt road that we used to think kept them out they seem to get in, don't laugh, you might be one of them, it's a tough place and it's hard to keep yourself nice.
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

AuotonomousRX wrote:
:idea: Hey Grumm would I get through Tech with the speed Hump full of ice.

Pete
You could have a Greek salad in for all I care. as long as you're not running in production or open classes
G
They make it
I make it work
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Been to the salt flats only once,and to my dismay had to stand there and watch the tide go in and out....
BUT..... Have been actively racing in excess of 30 years and have faced the starting line in excess of 2000 times......
I have burn marks on the both my lower legs,one of them from a bottom end engine failure which not only burnt my hide but had me
picking out shrapnel as well.

I have also witnessed similar type explosions and fires with fellow competitors with basicaly the same outcome (burns to the lower legs )

The problem that can be a worry, and I have seen it happen twice.... Is when something goes wrong in the top end..
both times were spark plug failures.

The first time : No 3 spark plug of a high compression methanol inline four blew out of an engine and nailed the rider clean in the chin strap of his helmet...
The second time : No 4 spark plug of a petrol engine blew out and nailed the rider inthe right wrist.....

Both riders suffered burns and bruisers...

How does this happen you ask....... The engines we use .. have first usually had a life on the street, spark plugs have been in and out many times,
sometimes removed and refitted by a ham fisted mechanic and sometimes removed for blown headgaskets and other such maitenance. if the engine sat around for a month or two before someone got to it ..rust has formed on the spark plug threads and on pulling the plugs, part of the thread gets drawn or partially destroyed and goes unnoticed or unchecked..
Worn race engines suffer worse.. It is not uncommon to pull the head of a 4 cylinder engine and see that has 3 of the cylinders showing signs of
earlier failures.. once agian the spark plug has copped a hammering around the thread and becomes suspect when removed..

A spark plug with a boosted charge or nitrous or nitro behind it will have enough power to pierce a fuel tank ... so be aware....

...... FOOD FOR THOUGHT....
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

Or do what I do and helicoil all threads that see regular service ie. spark plug threads, oil drain, most of the top end etc etc ...never had one go bad on me yet.

Really blokes keeping cool and alert is the most important safety tip I can give ...especially for the salt ....stay hydrated and dont wear your leathers around all day ..race safe and have a merry christmas :)

Gary #282
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
BONES

Post by BONES »

This year at BUB I wore my usual leathers-- the ones I tested at Gairdner a few years ago-- With a nomex type under wear which is necessary in fuel class.
It was hot but I drank heaps. ( I didn't loose any weight in my self imposed sauna)

At BUB there is also a huge time spent waiting. I would only get into my leathers 2 or 3 bikes before it was my turn and if delayed I would at least get the
top of my leathers off.
We can take tender vehicles right to the start line so there should be no problem with water or shade.
Oh , falling off on salt is much better than falling off on tar.
We need to emphasise to the slower riders/drivers NOT to use the whole track, 2 1/4 or 3 miles is more than enough .
cheers Bones
see you at the salt
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

There is a whole heap of info on this website that pretty much covers the essential things anyone visiting or competing for the first time needs to know.

I read it before I came down and it was really really helpful.

While it does not mean you will know everything, but at least you will have an idea about what you need to do, so the experience and it is a Unique Experience, is not buggered up by not knowing some simple basics.

Our Sport is like no other Motorsport and the location is special, so treat it with the respect it deserves, if you do this BE WARNED. you may become addicted. :D :D :D

I know that you can lead a Horse to water but can't make them enjoy the view, but really, the view at Lake G is worth checking out.

Enjoy the Festive festivities,

like all of us on here, I am really hanging out for my Salt Fix. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pete

DLRA #866
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

At least the full leathers will stop you getting sunburn :lol: :lol:
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959