why all cow is flawed

Moderator: DLRA

AuotonomousRX

Re: why all cow is flawed

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Hi rgn,

this is the Snell Label inside the Helmet liming in my old Helmet (this is a Shoei). As far as I know this is the "Snell Sticker" that you have to show at Tech. My new Helmet is Snell M2010 approved.

This was posted earlier Dec 13th 2012 http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic. ... 0&start=30

7.C.1 Rider’s Helmet:
All riders shall wear a full-face helmet with face shield, which shall meet Snell Foundation M2005, ECE 22-05P, ACU Gold Standard, AS1698-2006 (subject to inspection and approval), JIS T 8133 : 2007 or later specifications. No open face helmets will be allowed. Helmets will be visually inspected at least once each year. Helmets shall be undamaged, unmodified and in serviceable condition. Eyeglasses worn under the helmet shall be shatterproof. Riders shall demonstrate proper helmet fit and “roll-off” resistance. Helmets for motorcycle streamliners shall comply with section 3.A.2.
this will bring us more in line with the car rules and other bodies like the FIM and I may add a caveat on the AS1698 helmet that they are subject to inspection as I know I can buy an AS 1698 full face helmet for $66.00 wholesale

Contact Grumm first that's the easiest way to get it confirmed. :D

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

RGN , if your potential helmet isn't on this list, it's not suitable
http://www.smf.org/certlist/std_M2010

Tiny
Last edited by gennyshovel on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
rgn

Post by rgn »

Thanks for the replies guys. The Arai vector 2 is both on the Snell approved list and has the Snell-dot sticker on the back, but no label inside that I could see. I was pulling the linings out, and the sales guy was getting a bit agitated. I'll go back for a better look today. One of the sales guys said one company (I think HJC) was no longer putting any stickers on their helmets, but they held the snell rating.

So the consensus is, with out the internal serial numbered snell sticker, it's a no go, even if the helmet is of the brand-make and model as on the Snell foundation list? If this is the case, this limits the helmets available to me locally to zero... :?
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

If they have the external sticker they should have the internal lable, KBC's is above your right ear
there is a pop clip securing the inner liner top section, in the corner, once pulled apart the sticker is easy to see, or you can get enough of a view between the cheek pad and top section

I have not got the rule book in front of me but if AS1698-2006 is suitable you probably don't need a new helmet ??
rgn

Post by rgn »

This is where it gets confusing. I have a hard copy of the 2013 rules that Carol kindly sent out to me a couple of weeks ago, (that has become my constant companion)... and there is no mention in 7.C.1 of any standard other than Snell foundation M2005 or later specifications. Has there been a recent amendment to 7.C.1?

There is a interesting article in the current motorcycle news regarding helmets, apparently the Competition and Consumer Act 20110 says a certification mark is not required. This includes the the 'Australian Standard' The sticker requirement is still enforced by police, but they do so apparently unlawfully.

The 2010 act may be why the sales guy said that HJC is no longer stickering their helmets?
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Confusion rules,,
IF,,M2005 Snell helmets are still ok to use in 2013, I have a perfectly good LARGE one you can have rgn,
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

RGN
I bought an Arai and it is quite difficult to find the sticker on the inside. When I bought it I told the slaesman I had to see the sticker and he couldn't find it, but a second salesman knew where it was.
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
rgn

Post by rgn »

Thanks again guys, Genny, and for your offer of the helmet... how did you know I had a large head?

I'm heading back down to the shops, and hopefully the KBC has the sticker. I'm keen to have it, just because of the fit. I'm going to the road circuit at Broadford Sunday for some practice and on board 3D shake-downs with Luke, and would like to have the new lid for then. Cheers.
rgn

Post by rgn »

The KBC turned up a Snell 2005 sticker. Excellent! Thanks for the input. Cheers.
BONES

Post by BONES »

rgn
check the rule book. I think a helmet is good for 10years from the sticker date NOT the purchase date.
The 2005 helmet is only good for another 2 years.
Helmets on sale are often old stock with an old sticker
cheers Bones
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

OOPs,,the old lid is m2000, not 2005 as 1st stated,,I knew there was a reason I bought a M2010
Tiny
PS does'nt everyone have a big head this time of year?
Tiny DLRA# 484
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

rgn wrote:This is where it gets confusing. I have a hard copy of the 2013 rules that Carol kindly sent out to me a couple of weeks ago, (that has become my constant companion)... and there is no mention in 7.C.1 of any standard other than Snell foundation M2005 or later specifications. Has there been a recent amendment to 7.C.1?

There is a interesting article in the current motorcycle news regarding helmets, apparently the Competition and Consumer Act 20110 says a certification mark is not required. This includes the the 'Australian Standard' The sticker requirement is still enforced by police, but they do so apparently unlawfully.

The 2010 act may be why the sales guy said that HJC is no longer stickering their helmets?
rgn

read this link and the statement issued on Dec 13th it answers your question

http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic. ... 0&start=30

Pete

DLRA #866
rgn

Post by rgn »

Hi Pete, were the amendments posted passed into this years DLRA rule book?

I just did a search and the page that comes up says Version 1.2 is the final and complete version, that is what I have in front of me, but there is no mention of back protectors, or any of the stuff Mr Grumm put up on pg3 of this thread.

Two years will be long enough for this lid Bones, they never seem to last that long... Cheers.
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

grumm441 wrote:So
we are looking at a moratorium on leathers and helmets for 2013
Looking at the rule changes that have come form the SCTA and the rule change forms that have been sent to myself, Gary Satara and Shane Gaghan
we would be changing the rules again next year anyway and it doesn't make sense to have a set of leathers foe one meeting
This is the proposed wording

7.A.6 Rule Changes:
Add new sentence:
ALL REQUESTS FOR DEVIATIONS TO CURRENT RULES SHALL BE SUBMITTED TO THE CONTEST BOARD NO LATER THAN 45 DAYS PRIOR TO THE EVENT FOR REVIEW.

This is a new addition to the SCTA rules and is probably a good idea

7.C.1 Rider’s Helmet:
All riders shall wear a full-face helmet with face shield, which shall meet Snell Foundation M2005, ECE 22-05P, ACU Gold Standard, AS1698-2006 (subject to inspection and approval), JIS T 8133 : 2007 or later specifications. No open face helmets will be allowed. Helmets will be visually inspected at least once each year. Helmets shall be undamaged, unmodified and in serviceable condition. Eyeglasses worn under the helmet shall be shatterproof. Riders shall demonstrate proper helmet fit and “roll-off” resistance. Helmets for motorcycle streamliners shall comply with section 3.A.2.

this will bring us more in line with the car rules and other bodies like the FIM and I may add a caveat on the AS1698 helmet that they are subject to inspection as I know I can buy an AS 1698 full face helmet for $66.00 wholesale

7.C.2 Leathers:
One-piece or two-piece 350 deg. (zipped together) leather are required and the zipper must be sewn to the leather and not to the lining. Limited perforations or other materials certified by a recognised manufacturer to be suitable for the application are allowed in the armpit and at the back of the leg from knee down. No single panel can be larger than a total of 12 square inches each. Hump (leather or cloth only) on the back of leathers is allowed in partial streamlined classes only.

If you have a small amount of perforations on the front of your leathers you will be allowed to run if you have fire resistant underwear

7.C.5
Add new (old) rule:
A back protector is required in all sit on motorcycle classes

These are the proposed rule changes only
your input is valuable
If you are not a forum member and would like to comment or make a suggestion, you can do so by going to the DLRA contact page and clicking on my email contact link
http://www.dlra.org.au/detail.htm
Graham Hadley
rgn

this is what I was referring to. Our Chief Scrutineer states "we are looking at a moratorium on leathers and helmets for 2013"

A number of Proposals were put forward from this post to try and enhance the "adopted" SCTA Motorcycle Rules to suit our local requirements.

As far as I know these few Proposals, outlined above, will be followed in 2013 and after any suggested changes are made, will be formally adopted in the 2014 Rule Book , along with any other Proposals that might get submitted by the members.

if you need to clarify this any further simply click the contact link and ask Grumm :D

Pete

DLRA #866
BONES

Post by BONES »

Hey G
More fuel for the helmet debate
I was at the helmet shop today and the only helmet which had the AS/NZS 1698-2006 standard was a SHARK helmet.
Shoei, Arai and AGV had AS/NZS 1698
Both the Arai and Shoei have Snell 2010
The Shark does NOT have Snell complience
Shoei and Arai are certified by SAI Global
SHARK is certified by TUV Rheinland ( spelling.)
There are also 2 other companies which certify Australian helmets- both carry the AS/NZS 1698 but no mention of 2006.

I am thinkink that as long as a helmet has AS/NZS 1698 it is suitable for competition
cheers Bones