Honda MG & MF 750

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

harky

Re: Honda MG & MF 750

Post by harky »

I will fit other anchor points , fore and aft of the axle , i go through the rear axle and use 2 eye bolts to tie down , although that’s not possible on all bikes .
It is on those wheels to make it movable, but will be mobile , and have its own trailer ( that it can be used on the trailer as well )
I fitted the discs ( 2) to it , they work surprisingly well ,to allow me to “ load” it up to any amount , the discs have a colour change , like something i seen at the end of conrod 😷😱😱😱

funny story

I was doing magic tune on my naked busa ( std gen 1 engine ). and the 200 kg roller has end plates with a cavity behind the plates , there were balance weights ( poorly ) welded behind the plates . I was at full noise in 3 or 4th when the balance weights become UNWELDED , me ,the bike and the dyno went for a bounce around my workshop, 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪, my wife came out to me and declares. THERE HAS BEEN AN EARTHQUAKE yep. only in my shed
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Johno,

Fuel flow tests sounds good, I switched to two separate outlets on the custom tank I built just to be sure. Here's a pic from Bonneville 2014 for your viewing pleasure ... she was an unrefined beast!

My Dyna setup was new in 2013, and luckily the pickup failed completely while prepping for 2014 so I knew something was actually up with it. Unluckily I decided to leave the optical ignition I had at home, so had to buy another one.

It uses a car type coil, this plate mounts up in the front triangle, I think to standard mounting points but I'm not 100% sure:

This is the plate with the optical pickup:

And the optical wheel itself:

Installation instructions:

And selecting different maps with the different wires:

I got mine from CycleX, but can't find it on their site at the moment ... their site is TERRIBLE so that might be the problem (they seem to be proud of this ...). It's a PowerArc system ... also sold by http://www.c5ignitions.com/ apparently. Apparently the timing doesn't move all over the place like the magnetic sensors can.

Happy to send it to you if you want to give it a go.

(note: I'm not trying to sell it, if you like it you can use it in 2021 and I'll grab it back some time in the distant future when I get back to building my CB750 up again)

Cheers
Johno Senior

Post by Johno Senior »

Hi Russ,
Thanks for getting back to me and posting a pic of your bike. I have seen your bike on a SOHC Honda Forum where someone from USA was at Bonneville and posted a pic off your bike. Hard to forget a Mad Max land speed bike :D

The ignition you have is similar to what I had, difference being your is a wasted spark type and mine was a non wasted spark, both made by the same guy and distributed through Cycle X. They originally sent me the same system as yours and I know they had success with it in US circuit racing , however they were supposed to develop a non wasted version for me so I sent the non wasted back to them and waited a while as they developed the new system for me. Unfortunately I was the test dummy and it cost me nearly $10K over 2 melted engines before I realised it was the ignition that was the problem.
When I contacted Cycle X they didn't want to know about it and put me onto the designer, he didn't want to know about it either, that's racing. Cycle X promptly stopped retailing the non wasted version and later stopped selling any of his versions as they were failing from heat related issues causing too many warranty issues. On page 5 of my thread a pic, of the four individual coils non wasted style.

BUT Russ I Do thank you for your generous offer, very kind of you. Ill give this new Dyna 2000 version a go and see what happens, fingers crossed. :D
Cheers Johno
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Johno,

I wondered why they didn't have anything listed on their site any more ... there was mention of it at the top of one page, but no actual product info further down the page as they did with the other ignition products.

It was a pretty expensive system, so pretty disappointing that the after sales is so shit. I've been toying about putting a newer GSXR750 or 600 engine in my CB750 frame, I have both laying about, and it's stories like yours that encourage me to do so. With all the hacking required it would be a race only bike though, and I quite liked riding it on the street before the oil pressure went missing that is!

Crossing my fingers for you and the Dyna 2000!

Will you be at the lake in 2021 if it's on?

Cheers