vehicle eligibility

Moderator: DLRA

Marc Chapman

vehicle eligibility

Post by Marc Chapman »

i was wanting to know if my '89 VN commodore 5.0 is eligible to be entered in the dlra '06 competition and if so in which class

it is unmodified from its factory specification (even has the stock exhaust!) exept for that i added 17 inch wheels to improve ride and handling to complement the factory fitted FE2 suspension

the vehicle has current Victorian registration and is of exellent condition and in full working order

i wish to enter it in the trials as i have been informed by Holden that the vehicle is incapable of travelling at more than its maximum indicated speed of 220kmh, as it is a manual 5 speed and not an automatic as far as i can acertain it does not have the computer controlled maximum speed of 200kmh that i have observed in all automatic equipped 5.0litre EFI commodores i have encountered, and after some research into the gear ratios and final drive ratios i believe that it should be well capable of exeeding 240kmh on the salt and wish to put my theory to the test.
to Rod or not to Rod that is the question

of course we all know the answer is to Rod
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Marc , your car as described would only be eligable for "street class" which is limited to 130 mph /210 kph , because your car does not satisfy (as decribed) any of the DLRA competition rules or safety rules , if you want to run over this limit I suggest you get a copy of the DLRA rules and modify you car to meet those rules , if you would like to run in street class you would need the following
1.current /valid state drivers liscence
2.regestered / roadworthy car
3.a snell 2000 approved full face helmet
4.a 2 kg portable fire extinguisher securely mounted in drivers compartment
5.long sleve shirt /long pants and sturdy shoes
hope to see you there :)
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
momec

Post by momec »

G'Day Marc

I'd suggest you download the rule book and have a read.
I understand what you want to do, but as your car sits in stock form it will only be allowed in street class (see section 6.4.7 in rule book)

This means you will be restricted to 125mph (approx 202kph)
To run any faster (ie you intend running 150mph) you would be required to do some minor safety upgrades such as roll bar, harness and other things outlined in the rule book.
You do need to read the whole rule book relating to the proposed speed you intend running and get back to us with questions after you have. The rule book is not easy to read so please ask questions to clarify stuff.

Hope this is of some help
Seeya Chris
momec

Post by momec »

Ya beat me Hawk :lol:
Marc Chapman

Post by Marc Chapman »

Ive actually had a copy of the rule book for a while as I and a friend had been planning to build a belly tank, but due to work/bills/the missus the plan hasnt eventuated.

having had a look at the book ive got the following querie:

would a bolt in roll structure such as those manufactures by T.R.I.K be sufficient as i preferably dont want to install a permanent cage seeing as the car is used daily.

momec

Post by momec »

G'Day Marc
Bolt ins are fine, the way I read it the speed range your looking at it only needs to be a simple 4 point cage but the minimum diameter of the main hoop seems to be bigger than most other motorsports and the plates on the floor have a minimum size. Saying this they passed the V8 supercar last meeting and its tube size is smaller than what the book says. I have found that common sense will usually happen with the scrutineers but its still worth a phone call to either Rob Carroll or our Cheif scrut John Dawson, find out some specs on the cage you intend to use first. I've never known John to answer his phone so I'd contact Rob first.
Seeya Chris
Marc Chapman

Post by Marc Chapman »

ill look into it and let you know if any other gremlins pop up :roll:

thanks for the help, hope to be there :D

big chook

Rules for newcommers .

Post by big chook »

GordonD you are so far off base , the DLRA welcome any newcommers and will go out of their way to allow new members the chance to run but safety is absolutely paramount and if you got into trouble at speed eg .turned your car on its lid you would soon realize the reason for roll cages, 5 point harnesses etc . The regulations are there for every ones safety including yours . hope you are not too discourged to attend .cheers Mick
Dr Goggles

...and I'd been wondering where Gordan had got to.

Post by Dr Goggles »

Interesting to see that your still interested enough to keep watching Gordan , and interesting to see that you've also come out of the "bushes" on what sort of car you have.I was just thinking about you last night when I was writing a reply about street class.....did you delete that thread that you started?.......anyway , my tip is forget the agro , pack a tent , get a helmet , extinguisher and some spares AND COME TO SPEEDWEEK. I'm not joking It will be the best time you ever have , you will not regret it. :wink:

I might add that when you look around at the "support vehicles" and competitors and spectators cars that go to the meet there is no shortage of "latest technology " late model high performance cars ..........they ain't dinosaurs the club , just experienced builders, racers and officials working from rules that have been reviewed year by year and incident by incident to protect competitors and ultimately the sport .................To get the last few per cent out of your rig may demand some changes that you woudn't want to make a car that cost you $$XXXXX , but if you bought another one and stripped it out , changed the suspension , free-d up the induction and got some more fuel into a motor that you could maybe get some nice pistons for ....there's got to be a heap of chips for the car....even blackmarket "cracks"........It never stops Gordon , go out there and check it out.........
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

GordonD,
Landspeed racing is a sport that has developed since the Dawn of Motorsport and in that time racers have set records Driving / Riding just about every form of vehicle they can buy modify or build themselves,
There is a record for just about everything, including Current model electronic managed turbo N2O type racers,
Insulting the DLRA and its rules is a lack of respect to the Pioneer Racers that have lost there lives to which we owe our current safety record and rule book.
A young Lady competes in Her modified Suzuki swift, ( she made the effort to modify her car ) She would give you a run for your money,
Salt Racing Ain't As easy as it appears,
So Gordo i think you should race your Big Bad Renault Clio, You might have a Diffrent tint on life after Speedweek,
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Yeah I remember that thread or diatribe as they can also be known as. I came away thinking "Gee this bloke must have an AMG Merc or something", It's surprising to find out it is a Clio.....

But - as Goggles says, it's not all about the size of your weapon, it's how you use it and the fun you can have doing it... It's why we all keep coming back!
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :shock: GordonD I've just looked at the dates on this thread and realised you've duggout a year old thread just to have a go,,,, :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? onya

Run what you Brung Gordo, Just hope you Brung Enough :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Well spotted DD!

I guess we will just treat Gordo with the lack of respect that he deserves from this point on....

A Renault Clio - pmsl

I can't believe this guy made such a fuss over a french toy that my wife's Jazz could probably smoke....
PJQ2

Post by PJQ2 »

GordonD,

Read your argument a few times and you'll have to call me dim. Can't see the "obvious".
You want to go fast and believe the Renault is safe (look, here's the sales brochure). Try this with any organised motorsport for the same responses you're getting here.

A drag racer mate works in a bike shop and cops this all the time. You walk in and he gives you a look that says "get me outa here" and there's a bloke bending his ear about a Bussa that'll take Tarmac off a straight road. Morris took years building to a 7 second quarter - done hard yards, knows the ropes - but that counts for nought with this guy on a mission who's nailed the champ to the wall with superior unsubstantiated knowledge.

Come to Speed Week and learn.
Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
Brootal

Post by Brootal »

GordonD wrote: <blah blah blah...> But the rules they insist on sticking to that are written for another country and another century when no standard car could do that speed, and if it was modified enough to be capable of them it was so dangerous that it had to have huge modifications to make it safe too, show they just don't want us.

Clearly a well researched reply... :roll:
When I grow up I want to be a Land Speed Racer!

DLRA #777

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]www.the-rumbler.com[/url]