Diesel fuel trailer

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

outbacktrev

Diesel fuel trailer

Post by outbacktrev »

Anybody out there know where we may be able to get hold of a 2500-3000ltr, preferably 3000ltr diesel fuel trailer suitable for towing from the Racers camp to the mail road fuel truck and back to the camp. Would be nice to have 12volt pump and metered delivery nozzle as well but not totally necessary. This request is being brought about by some of us older blokes not being able to shift 200ltr drums around SAFELY, or easily any more, and makes pure sense from OH&S point of view. The trailer would reside up near the gensets, as that is where 95% of the fuel id used.
Just an inquiry to see whats out there. :D :D
Cheers,
Trevor
DLRA
Site Admin

Re: Diesel fuel trailer

Post by DLRA »

I like your thinking Trev
Just had a quick look as to how much one of these little babies would cost new.
$14,990 for this Construction Sales
$13,475 for this Machines4u
$12,786 for this TTI

Then I found this on ebay, just needs a trailer $5,959 - Rapid Spray

Used, I found this 2000L for $3,300 (but I think it needs a pump) - Ausnet
Or this - DIESEL TANK ON TRAILER 2200 LITRE, 12 VOLT PUMP FOR SALE $1,650 - Trade Farm Machinery
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

Greg,
Thanks for the homework. I think we need to go down this road and have spoken to Norm Pres about this. We really need 3000ltr at a minimum I think (15 x 200ltr drums) as there is more electrical demand at the racers camp nowadays and with that comes more diesel requirements for the genset and various other diesel club vehicles including the tractor. I am sure something will turn up eventually at the right price.
Cheers,
Trevor
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Since the downturn of the mining industrie up this way (Bowen Basin), there is a lot of machinery "parked up",, There would be any number of fuel tank/trailers gathering rust and going for a song,,

I am out of the mining loop, will ask around, but would suggest somewon in the know on here might make inquiries also,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

Stayte thanks for that. Bit far from me but as you said I am sure there would be somebody in the group with contacts. Next year is going to be BIG and we will need considerable resources.
3000ltrs would be a target tank I think. Anything less would still involve humping 200ltr drums around.
Cheers,
Trevor
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

Anybody out there have any joy with a 3000ltr trailer mounted diesel tank?
bobthebike

Post by bobthebike »

2 IBCs in an 8x4 bogie box trailer will give you legal transport for 2,000lts, I would think the cheapest option by far.
Bob.
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

We now have 2 x 1000 and 1 x 1500 steel tanks and Greg Telford has worked out a way to get all the diesel (and extra) and petrol back to the camp.
We now also have a manual high volume petrol drum pump.
And Craig Rogers has donated 12 new, clean drums and a drum trolley.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

All excellent solutions. Thank you gents for your endeavors. The amount of diesel we use nowadays to run an event is becoming a manual handling nightmare.
Us old blokes backs thank you.
Cheers,
Trevor
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

I was dreaming the other day about how we could make our lives better/easier and I came up with an all-terrain fork lift/loader with a drum adaptor. It all exists now trouble is justifying the $30-50,000 to buy it.

Ah well, it's only money....
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

DLRA wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:17 pm I was dreaming the other day about how we could make our lives better/easier and I came up with an all-terrain fork lift/loader with a drum adaptor. It all exists now trouble is justifying the $30-50,000 to buy it.

Ah well, it's only money....
That would be awesome and perform MANY other tasks, but as you said justifying the outlay may be a little difficult :D
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

bobthebike wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:03 pm 2 IBCs in an 8x4 bogie box trailer will give you legal transport for 2,000lts, I would think the cheapest option by far.
Bob.
Bob,
This is a VERY good option, and as you said LEGAL. I beleive the eastern states have something in hand. :D
Cheers,
Trevor
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Greg Telford has "obtained" 3 steel tanks like what you would see on a farm (well some farms, at least) that will be suitable at a very good "morning price".
There is a requirement from our fuel supplier and the laws for these tanks to be bottom fill. One of the tanks we have has this and Greg is modifying the other two tanks.
They are still light enough to be man-handled (empty) onto a trailer or tray.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor