methanol and pink champaine

Moderator: DLRA

SPOOK

methanol and pink champaine

Post by SPOOK »

On the weekend washed out the alloy fuel tank with petrol, rinsed it clean and inserted two litres of clear methanol laced with 2% of Shell M then started the Triunph racing bike for the first time . Minor carby problems and a small oil leak. Shut it down and drained the fuel tank. Much to my suprise the clear fuel had turned pink. Ive never seen this in fifty years of working on motorbikes. Have I purchased gay Methanol ? or is there some logical reason for it? Can someone please explain? Cheers Russell.
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

by chance did the petrol you flushed the tank with have a red dye ? just a thought
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
momec

Post by momec »

Triumps usually have big oil leaks.
Sorry there is no explaination.
Chris
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Yeah Spook,,I had a similar methanol problem after a petrol washout,,but mine went brown (port?),,unfotunately,,i found it after driving to a "secret" test ride location, and having the "whoopass" exhaust note turn into a prt t.t.t.t.t.ttrt (it had sat in the tank for 3 days previously)
Drink IT!,,or feed it to ackattacK,,its gotta taste better than coors? (sorry Joe)
CHEERS ,,,Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
SPOOK

Methanol and pink Champaine

Post by SPOOK »

Thanks Hawky and Tiny I reckon youre right and maybe I didnt rinse it out enough. As a matter of interest I would drink battery acid or paint stripper rather than Coors any day. Chris Chris Chris. We british purists well know that crappy designed british cars and bikes leak oil profusely. We proudly call that character. Anyway, thanks once again for the advice. Cheers Russell.