Two way runs for 2019

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

Re: Two way runs for 2019

Post by DLRA »

Stayt`ie wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:08 am Ummmm, so with multiple entries using the one vehicle,, each rider/driver can only make their individual qualifying pass on the day, then all front the next morning for record return run :?:
Ok, I'll try and step this out to see if it helps.

The rule is; For vehicles where there are multiple riders or drivers,
an entrant (team member) who makes a run and qualifies for a record attempt will have the option to run again the same day. This was introduced so that it did not un-necessarily hold up other members of his team.

How it will work;
Once qualifying the entrant will still have to comply with all other rules.
He still has to present at Impound with his timing slip within 15 minutes.
He still gets his vehicle checked.
If he is running GAS class a sample of fuel will be taken.
He will still have up to 4 hours to work on his vehicle. But must not return to his pit.
After his team situation has been checked he will receive a permit, releasing him from Impound.
He goes to Pre-Stage and then makes his record attempt.
Nobody else can ride or drive his vehicle until he has made his record attempt.

After he has made his record attempt the next team member is free to make a qualifying attempt.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Heh Greg, can you clarify this.

"• A qualified vehicle shall proceed directly to the designated impound area and report to the impound official within 15 minutes of the time stamp on the timing slip."

My question is when is it stamped? When it spits out of the printer straight after your run or when you get back to the pits to collect it?
If it is immediately it is set 15 mins may not be enough time to get back to the pits.

Chris
Chris
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

G'Day Chris,
It is the time shown on the timing slip.
There is only one time shown on the timing slip, I'll have to check with the timers exactly what time that is.
The SCTA interpretation is an hour. It was the opinion of the committee that they did not want to give them that long and that if they qualify for a record they should proceed directly to impound. This was also agreed to by all the other meetings where the rules have been discussed.
In my opinion, if someone turns up after 16 minutes or even 25 minutes, so long as they had an appropriate excuse and they have made a best attempt, I would be happy with that, but for someone turning up an hour later, I don't think so.

If you, or a considerable number of other entrants do not consider this to be enough time, please give me a list of names and the time that you think is adequate.
But I need to very soon.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

So it would pay to have a second rider/driver entered so that if weather conditions permitted, one could take advantage of a favourable (southerly) breeze 8)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Thanks Greg, I think 15 mins for some of the faster cars will be a bit tight. It might mean their support crew will need to be at the deep end ready to tow them back before they run. Play it by ear first year I guess and fine tune if we need to.
Stayt'ie F100's only have headwinds. :)
Chris
345windowcoupe

Post by 345windowcoupe »

I agree 15 mins is too tight to get back to impound from the deep end of the track. I think 30 mins is more achievable for the fast vehicles.
club animal

Post by club animal »

Hi all competitors those who cant make it back to impound in 15 minutes should contact the race director on there radio and he will contact impound and inform them of your delay and observe your return to the pits
regards
Animal
Regards ANIMAL
Member 151
NAC 200+mph club
DLRA 200 mph club
going fast is my blast
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

We go out, qualify for a record, next morning we run faster again, can we then claim that backup run as a qualifier, remain in impound for a second night and backup the next morning ??

What im getting at here is that you have a vehicle that is under "on course" (rpm, gearing etc) development,, by doing the above you eliminate requalifying runs, thus eliminating stresses/costs to your motor :)
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Understand what you are saying and why you would want to do it that way.
As the rule is currently written it says.
1.G AUSTRALIAN RECORD RUNS:
Two-way average records are established by a two-run average over the same relative or physical
mile, depending upon course conditions. Only the fastest average speed will be used for record
calculation. A new record shall be attributed where a vehicle exceeds the existing record by at least
.001 MPH.
The same engine block shall be used for the two-run average of each record attempt. Qualifying runs
that exceed the existing class record are considered to be the first leg of the record attempt.
A qualified vehicle shall proceed directly to the impound area and report to the DLRA impound
marshal within 15 minutes of the time stamp on the timing slip.
Qualified entrants will have 4 hours from the time of check-in to perform necessary maintenance on
the vehicle. Entrants should be cognizant of pit closing time and be careful not to run late in the day if
a full 4 hours are needed for maintenance.
All impounded vehicles shall make the second leg of the record attempt at a time to be determined at
the event. Usually this will be the following morning. Where there are multiple entrants for a vehicle,
the qualified entrant can elect to make a record attempt the same day.
Vehicles completing a record attempt shall proceed directly to the impound area for certification
within 15 minutes of the time stamp on the timing slip.
If for any reason a vehicle is removed from the impound area, the record attempt is forfeited, and the
vehicle shall re-qualify. In the event that record runs are cancelled for that day, eligible vehicles need
not re-qualify.

So once you have entered impound on a qualifying run, you have committed to making your next run a record run.
There is no option to have a second bite of the cherry.
Happy if you wish to bring this up at the AGM, but that is my understanding and the way that records are determined under SCTA rules, which is one of the main reasons why we are going through all of this.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
momec3

Post by momec3 »

And why wait for the next day just because you are solo. Our Speedweek is shorter than Bonneville and a qualifier first of in the day that you then has to waste the entire day waiting for no reason. Should be an option for all racers to turn around same day if they are ready. A first run in the morning option should remain for those who want it.
Track time is too valuable to waste.
Chris
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Good point Chris,, I didn't want to open a can of worms, but, the rules regarding this are all in favour of multi entries with one vehicle, "In One Days Racing" thay have the chance to set as many records as drivers/riders nominated,, thay have the opptunity to do laps qualifying and setting records, while the one entrie/driver sits out the day in impound :?
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Correct, not a can of worms but can be mentioned at the AGM and put forward as a rule change if we want it. I understand the reasons we have gone to 2 runs but we only have one speedweek a year and every available run is golden.
Chris
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

10-4 8)
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

I didn't make comment at the AGM, deciding instead to see how things went at the event,,

So where there indivuals sitting it out till the next morning in inpound, while multi entrie vehicles backed up records on the same day ??
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Introducing something new and a significant change it was always going to be a suck it and see.
Some people responded better than others. Some people do not like or easily accept change.

There were several changes to the way impound ran over the week.
The main difficulty was a lack of volunteer inspectors to check the vehicles coming into impound.
So you could expect, moving forward that the technical inspection component could be significantly changed.
We ended up giving everyone the option to run again the same day or to wait until the morning.
From where I sat in the registration caravan each morning there was quite a few that headed down first thing as they drove out of Impound and down to the start line.

The hardest part of making these changes was communicating these these changes to the entrants and post event there have been a number of new communication strategies proposed to try and get the message out.
- These include the use of whiteboards at Impound, Start Line, Pre-Stage, even the toilets.
- Using the announcer Channel 15.
- Using Channel 10

If anyone has some ideas or comments, happy to hear them, but lets make this a constructive thing.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor