FIM Rulebook - Records

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

FIM Rulebook - Records

Post by DLRA »

Below is an extract from the 2018 FIM Rulebook, I've put this here in response to some questions asked in relation to the DLRA going to "Australian Records' and what are the legal ramifications of this.
I'll do a similar one for FIA (cars)
Here's my comments about this;
The FIM only have a hierarchy of two types of records, World and National.
The DLRA only runs flying start Short Distance records, which is only a very small subset of the FIM records available.
If the DLRA wanted to run NATIONAL records they could seek ratification from Motorcycling Australia. No idea what the requirements or costs would be to do this. NOTE: No mention of "Australian Records" by FIM or MA.
I've included the relevant clauses about tracks and starts to show that track lengths can be much less than what we offer now.
And lastly how FIM records are calculated

Apart from having to run in opposite directions, the other main difference with what we want to do and what FIM and MA do is the class structure. Both organisations differentiate on capacity, but that's where it ends. Most notably the FIM only have one propellant type, so no gas classes. SCTA / DLRA classes do not directly translate or compare to FIM classes.

I also offer this article that can be found on the Motorcycling Australia web site - Australian Land Speed Record

The MA charter used to say "maintain a record of the winners of Australian Championships and maintain a register of holders of Australian records". But it doesn't say that any more.
Lastly my offer to MA is for the DLRA to become the authoritative source on their behalf for all current and historical motorcycle land speed records.

APPENDICES FOR WORLD RECORD ATTEMPTS
1.1 DEFINITION OF A RECORD
A record is the best result obtained over a certain distance or within an imposed time limit. Only the fastest record within the same category, group, division, type and class will be considered for ratifcation each calendar day.
When the result has been ratifed by the FIM it becomes a “FIM WORLD RECORD”, when it is ratifed by an FMN it becomes a “NATIONAL RECORD”.

1.2 RECOGNISED WORLD RECORDS
The world records recognised for each class of motorcycle are as follows:
1.2.1 Short Distance Records
with standing start:
1/4 mile
1 km
1 mile

with flying start:
1 km
1 mile

1.10 TRACKS
To reduce to a maximum all natural assistance, the track used for a record attempt must conform to the following requirements:

1.10.1 Short Distance Records
A straight course between two points not having a gradient of more than 1% be used.
For record attempts with a fying start where speeds do not exceed 250 km/h, the track shall extend a minimum of 800 m at each end of the timing zone.
Where speeds do not exceed 500 km/h, the track shall extend a minimum of 1600 m at each end of the timing zone.
For record attempts with speeds exceeding 500 km/h, the track shall extend a minimum of 3200 m at each end of the timing zone.
The extensions of the track must not have a gradient of more than 1%.

1.2 2 STARTS
Flying Starts
The rider can take his place behind the time-keeping line using as great a distance as he requires within the limits of the track at his disposal. When ready, he drives towards and across the starting line and continues across the finish line.

1.30 CALCULATION OF RECORD RESULTS
1.30.1 Short distance records
A short distance world record attempt consists of two consecutive timed runs in opposite directions, within a period of two hours. This period is initiated when the vehicle passes the first timing cell of the first run and ends when the vehicle passes the last timing cell of the consecutive run.
Short distance records (1/4 mile, 1 km, 1 mile) are expressed in both kilometres per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph). The speed is calculated by using the average elapsed time (ET) recorded from each of the two consecutive runs. The number of attempts are not limited.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor