2019 Speedweek dates?

Go here for general DLRA News

Moderator: DLRA

AuotonomousRX

2019 Speedweek dates?

Post by AuotonomousRX »

I see that the latest news on Clipsal/Adelaide 500 says

"The Adelaide 500 will again host the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship opener next year, on February 28 to March 3." https://www.supercars.com/news/champion ... laide-500/

Will this have an impact on our current proposed dates?

29th Annual Speed Week
Lake Gairdner South Australia
Monday 4th March to Friday 8th March 2019
http://www.dlra.org.au/2019.htm

Pete :?:
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
DLRA
Site Admin

Re: 2019 Speedweek dates?

Post by DLRA »

Short answer, nup.

The dates for Speed week are determined to provide the best conditions, to start moving dates even a week either way can make it much harder to conduct our event.
I use historical data and long range forecasts including temperature, wind, moon cycles (water table).
If we had to move it, it would be a month before or after and then it's likely to be too hot or wet.

Plus in the negotiation of our 3 year permit with DEWNR, we have had to commit to dates. We still have not got this permit yet as it is with the South Australian Crown Solicitors, I don't want to start changing date now.

I'm surprised that they have chosen these dates as the weekend after is the long week end in South Australia. We had it this year and enjoyed record spectators on the Monday. If I thought we could do that every year I would, but it just doesn't work for us every time.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Greg

I understand the conditions related to Rainfall and Moon Phases thing.

This info was released just three days ago. I just thought the Fire and Rescue Squad also attended Clipsal/Adelaide 500 and that was one of the considerations for setting the Speedweek Date, that is why I asked the question.

Pete

DLRA #866
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Greg

Just to clarify, I was asking about Fire and Rescue Squad availability, not really about the date clash of these two major motorsport events, sorry for any confusion.

As far as Adelaide 500 dates, Round 2 of the Supercars Championship is now linked to the Australian F1 Grand Prix at Albert Park and that is on March 14-17 2019, so that would be the primary reason for their choice I'd say.

Pete :)

DLRA #866
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Understand Pete, thanks for the heads up on that.
Just spoke to Russell, there is one of their team who will be affected and he will travel to the lake on Monday morning and be there for the afternoon's proceedings.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor