Speed Week 2021 Update

Go here to find out what's happening in Oz

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

Speed Week 2021 Update

Post by DLRA »

As I write this we are just over 2 months out from Speed Week 2021. Up until the end of 2020 things were starting to look pretty good, and then we got the outbreaks in NSW and VIC. We have been getting calls asking if Speed Week will still go ahead. And the standard answer is we are still planning to run an event until someone tells us we can't. It remains a day to day proposition and is totally out of our hands.

With that in mind, here's a review of where we are today.

I'm using the figures from the 2020 entry list as so far many entrants are sitting on their hands rolling over and confirming their entry for 2021.

For 2020 we had 237 entries, 14 of those were from overseas, so unfortunately we won't see them again this year, except for Eva who already has her streamliner back in Australia.

South Australia has blocked NSW from entering, so that is 56 entrants who at the present time cannot come. However there is still time for the block to be removed should numbers improve in NSW.

Queensland is still open to South Australia, however for them to travel the normal route through NSW under the current restrictions means they cannot stop in NSW, which is virtually impossible.* There are two alternative routes one of which takes them on the Birdsville Track and adds an additional 1000 km to an already long 2000 km journey. Or to head even further north, which adds an additional 3000 km. This is something that I don't think many of the 38 Queensland entrants would contemplate.

Victoria, Tasmania and Western Australia are all currently open to South Australia, so we potentially have 129 entrants who can come to Speed Week.

To make Speed Week financially viable, we would need all of those entrants to compete. And we need these entrants to confirm their entries as soon as they can. If you are delaying sending in your entry because of the new medical examination requirement please consider just submitting your entry now, you can lodge your medical at a later date, so long as we have it before Speed Week starts.

The other complexity in all of this is the enforcement of quarantine on returning residents. This is an issue not only for entrants, but officials as well and will have a direct and dire consequence on Speed Week if re-introduced in any of the States.

We can't even begin to predict where the situation will be in a month's time or two months' time, all we can do is keep working with what we have now.

Looking forward, we realise that things may change and certainly may get worse before they get better, so we will delay any decision for as long as we can if it means ensuring that the event goes ahead.

Thank you for your time, support and consideration.

Be safe and healthy.

* update from when I wrote this, Victorians can be permitted to travel through NSW to get home with a minimum of stops and contact.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
russelllowe

Re: Speed Week 2021 Update

Post by russelllowe »

Hi,

I've just seen the block on NSW travelers has been revised (14th Jan 2020,https://www.covid-19.sa.gov.au/restrict ... ictions#sa, it now only applies to residents of the greater Sydney region, Wollongong LGA and Central Coast LGA.

I'm from Newcastle so it looks like I'm good to go, at least for the time being ... with one proviso, I'll have to submit to a COVID test on day 1, 5 and 12.

Will the on site doctor be able to do COVID tests?

(The same notification has some info about Queesnlanders traveling through NSW via car from the Low Community Transmission Zone which seems pretty good)

Cheers!
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Thanks for posting those links, I will have a good read over the weekend on what pertains to me, :D
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Further to the update from a week ago, all our permits are now in place and I am finalizing our COVID-19 Management Plan with the South Australian Department of Health. With no defined hotspots anywhere in Australia announced today, the likelihood of borders opening up is looking very good.

We now have 85 entries, which is a big improvement on where we were a week ago, but still well below the absolute minimum of 120 we are aiming for to decide if we are still to have an event.
This is not just random number, without enough entries we cannot afford to run the event due to the standing costs like leasing of the lake, paying the traditional monitors and paying our medical and fire crews plus all the other consumables like toilet paper, water, and fuel to run the generators and club vehicles.

The other big issue is the number of volunteers required to run the event at the moment of the 766 jobs we have identified we still have 317 of those jobs vacant. We need people in the most critical of areas; Start Line, Timing and Pre-Stage. For example, we can run Tracks 1 and 2 Monday morning, but there are not enough volunteers to run in the afternoon and nearly every other day is similar to this.
I know entrants have until the 14th February to decide if you are going to enter or roll-over your 2020 entry, but the longer you delay doing so makes it all the harder for me to keep saying to people that we are going to have an event in 2021 (and there are lots of people asking).
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Greg,

Just thinking about the perennial problem of volunteers, I always found that more seemed to just turn up for the first couple of days than we needed and we trained them all in the hope that they'd come back later in the week. Every now and then we'd get a star in the making who would do it very well and do more than one shift. One option worth considering is obliging all teams to provide two volunteer shifts, one early and one later in the week. Mathematically that solves your problem. As numbers dwindle after Wednesday anyone still running must provide a volunteer again. Plus things are more relaxed later in the week and people know what they're doing so it will work out. I would like to come, back but not as a full time starter, I'm getting too old for that. Unfortunately the problem of not having a suitable road car hasn't gone away and the money the trip costs would see my Formula Vee finished. Of course, if the Lotto pixies were to finally smile upon me, my brother and I would both be back to do a few more shifts here and there. Bruce and Peter, the timers, are keen to have a big crew of computer literate volunteers as it makes their lives easier.
Now we just need another 35 entrants. So come on racers, if you want to run you have to enter.

Cheers
Dave
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

G'Day Dave,
Thanks for your comments and ideas.
Encouragingly this year we have had more non-entrant volunteers than ever before. I'd like to think this is because of the extra advertisements that I've been putting up, anyway just grateful that they are putting their hand up.

You're right when you say having volunteers with experience makes a big difference and many of the entrants are volunteering for the same jobs year after year which makes Greg and Rob's job a bit easier. Most of the set up jobs don't change much from year to year, we just try and refine them to make it better and are doing our best to document the tasks within these jobs.

One of the ideologies I've been trying to instill is that we work smarter not harder, this can apply to any job but more so the setup jobs. We now have the crane truck to carry all the gear and the toilets to and from and are using the big bins to reduce double handling. We have also modified the way we store and handle the mats. (Outsourcing of the pickup of the mats is probably the way of the future)
I think that these initiatives are starting to show benefits now.
Getting people to volunteer year after year and succession planning are our 2 biggest challenges and to have a second-in-charge for the key positions. And I see this as the next thing we need to focus our energies on.
For most of these rolls the time required is limited to the event itself, so they are not a big drain on lifestyles during the year. But there seems to be a stigma associated with these roles where you are expected to have some magical skills or knowledge. For many of these positions nothing could be further from the truth. A little bit of training and a lot of common sense and your good to go.
Officiating or volunteering at Speed Week can be very rewarding, knowing that you are part of a team that can put on such an amazing and unique event.

Thats enough bullshit for now, look forward to seeing you back at Speed Week one day.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Update for this week.
We now have 118 entries in the system, and I know of many more who have not yet submitted their entries yet, so we have reached that goal of a financially viable event.
But that means there are still around 115 who either haven't entered yet or are not intending to race in 2021.
Pre-Entries close on the 14th February, any entries, roll-over or new received after that time will be subject to the $200 late entry fee.
I can't emphasise enough how critical it is to us to have the best idea of how many participants we are likely to see. We need this lead time to organise. We and our partners (Catering, Ice, Fuel, Water and other consumables etc.) use this information for all our logistics and estimating quantities for the event. It is very important to us.
Also if you have a Roll-Over and are not coming this year, please let us know too.
I think many people are confused with COVID-19 and Speed Week. It's as simple as, you are either coming to Speed Week or you're not. If you are coming, you need to be well into getting ready now.
The whole COVID-19 thing is totally out of our control and regulations and restrictions change so often and so quickly that it is extremely difficult to even begin to predict where we will be in 44 days time. But if you're not ready and Speed Week is on you will be kicking yourself.
Having said that the travel restrictions relating to interstate borders seems to be easing, so here's hoping it stays that way.
I'd also like to acknowledge all those non-competitor volunteers who have nominated to help run the event. Very heartening to see these guys getting involved and a great way to get just that little bit closer to the action. For those thinking about nominating, you don't have to have any Speed Week experience, you already have a wealth of knowledge and experience and it's just a matter of matching that with the jobs we have to do.
Lastly, the final lake inspection will take place on Thursday 25th February look for an update then.
https://www.dlra.org.au/2021.htm
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
ramblingboy42

Post by ramblingboy42 »

Good Morning all,

As a new member to your forum, and a brand new spectator to your sport, although I have followed speedway around Australia since I could walk , I would just like to add to your Speed Week Update 2021.

Regarding travelling from Queensland, unless you have real dirt road phobia , the best way to travel to the Pt Augusta region is due west from Brisbane out to Cunnamulla, Thargomindah to Innamincka and down the almost boulevard Strezelecki Track to Lyndhurst and then its good bitumen to Pt Augusta , Kimba and an unavoidable dirt road to the lake.

I won't be travelling that way completely as I like to stop and chat in Noccundra and Tibooburra and then I strike out across the Merty Merty.

I have driven the SA outback roads many many times and have a lot of friends on cattle stations north of Kata Thandi, and unless you are feeling very adventurous would not recommend using the Birdsville Track.

I last did this trip in September 2020 and the roads were almost perfect.

I'm really looking forward to attending Speed Week for the first time (with my neighbour) and will be making contact with your Queensland representative whom I know although he may have to think hard to remember me.

Good luck with all your preparations and hope to see you all in few weeks.

I am ,

Dennis Cederblad.....may ring a bell to a couple of your members.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

The RACQ site shows/advises that the Innamincka/ Strezelecki road is closed at the border to all traffic in both directions :roll:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Travel Restrictions update
We are getting asked all sorts of questions about the border situation, especially from people in NSW. What I can say is that there is still 40 days until Speed Week starts and that the restrictions will probably change again before then. So I wouldn't get too worried about what is in place today.

At the moment all travellers coming to South Australia are required to complete a Cross Border Travel Registration.
I'd recommend you follow the SA Health COVID-19 web pages - https://www.covid-19.sa.gov.au/restrict ... ictions#sa

And at least 7 days before you are travelling comes you will have to register to cross the border - https://www.police.sa.gov.au/online-ser ... pplication

COVID-19 Testing at Lake Gairdner
Under the current restrictions, permitted NSW residents will have to have a COVID-19 test on days 1, 5 and 10 when the enter SA. It's up to you to organise where and when you get tested.
The DLRA do not and will not have testing facilities at Lake Gairdner. If someone is suspected of having COVID-19 symptoms, they must leave the event and immediately get a test at Port Augusta.

Refer to this page for information and locations for COVID-19 testing.
www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/covidtesting
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
ramblingboy42

Re: Speed Week 2021 Update - Road Closures

Post by ramblingboy42 »

By the time you read this all access west and south of Innamincka will be open.

Birdsville track is open.

Oodnadatta Track is open.

The road south of Kingoonya through the national park is open.

All local advice from property and business owners and post offices

Cheers Den

if it rains of course it will change almost immediately.
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Greg,

Do you know if the pilots will be flying to and fro from Port Augusta this year? And/or what their contact details are?

My 5th day in SA will be on the Wednesday ... which means I'll either have to go into Port Augusta or put off the second test until day 7 ... not sure how the authorities will appreciate that.

Cheers
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Russell just sent you an email
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
GodSilla

Post by GodSilla »

Just wondering, is the lakeside canteen operating this year? This impacts what i need to bring with me.
Member 1241
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Godsilla, canteen will be working as good as if not better than what it was in 2019.
Will have a menu and prices soon.
DLRA WebMaster / Editor