Shaguar

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

BIG GAZ

Re: Shaguar

Post by BIG GAZ »

Yes the Doug Nash has proven itself. I like the ratios and the shifter and more importantly I have a Quicktime scattershield now that fits the Jag V12 which is a mandatory requirement. It is a 5 speed but still 1:1 in top gear. Because the diff/tyre gearing is staying the same despite the change in engines that means that I wont go any faster at my 7,000rpm max. I do have a Hone Overdrive which is effectively a bolt in two speed diff that was used in the USA during the muscle car era in the '70's. If I go from the 2.47:1 diff to a 3.25:1 with the 30% overdrive it drops to around 2.30:1 thereabouts overall. I know there are a million people who say that overdrives need a lot more horsepower to pull but i am thinking of giving it a try anyway. The only other option is a taller tyre which i cant make fit or a quick change diff. Both of those require structural changes and big dollars that i cant afford. The other advantage is that i can start off in low gear without a push car if i have to and pull it into 'high' once up to speed as it can be changed while on the run.
Plenty of assumptions so I will have my fingers crossed.
Gaz
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Here's the pictures for the previous post.

The V12 scatter shield with the Doug Nash box hooked up:

This is the overdrive unit bolted up to a 9" centre:

AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Hey Gaz

Great to see the Jag rediscovering it's origins. 8)

Talking Dyno stuff, not sure if this would be an option for LSR cars, have you ever considered running the Jag on a Hub Dyno? I see a lot of Big HP Drag Cars (even Doorslammers) are using them.

Back when I had my Drag Car I first used Rolling Road and then had a session on a Dynapack Hub Dyno, it was much better, no traction issues. In your case it might eliminate roller speed issues?
Mainline also builds them.

Pete :)
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Pete,
Theoretically and in isolation the idea of a hub dyno sounds good but as you know there are a lot of things that have to come together. I try to have the engine builder in attendance to set up as well as the tuner guy. It is best if the tuner guy is using his own dyno. The tuner guy also needs to be familiar with your MoTec/Haltec/Emtron EMS. Hopefully they are all close geographically so you dont pay for travel time but i find they usually charge in days, not hours. Mix that in with it being a V12 Jaguar and not the usual Chev/Ford/LS engine and it gets difficult. It is looking like i will be using Emtrons dyno so i am ticking a couple of boxes at least!
GAZ
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Hey Gaz

Yep getting all those multi layers x 12 to line up is a big thing.

Pete

DLRA #866
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

After your suggestion I asked Emtron and they do have hub dyno that they use 5km from my work!
Cheerin'
Gaz
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Gaz it was one of those a coincidental things.

I was having a look at Mainline Car Dynos for for my Bike, and stumbled across some Drag Cars on Hub Dynos.
Then remembered you mentioned top gear and 200mph.
So I had a chat to a mate that built Drag cars and he said, yep you can do a 200+mph simulation run on a Hub Dyno.
Be interesting to see if it's a realistic option.
Onward and Upward.

Pete :)

DLRA #866
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

"you can do a 200+mph simulation run on a Hub Dyno"

sounds like fun!
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I heard a report that someone wanted to look at roll cage photos but the image wasn't working. Let me know the page number if anything has dropped off and I'll sort it out.

Just went through the first 10 pages and all looks OK.

Saw a post from 2007 where I'm telling some of you lot to get on broadband internet as you were still on dial up. This build diary is a bit of a time machine. We first went to the salt in 2005 (16 years ago). There's been so much happen to all of us (Big Gaz, myself, Big Dave, Rob) in the last 16 years it is ridiculous. Divorce, Marriage, Surgeries, House moves, Job changes, kids growing up, COVID - and that is just me! Lots of salt trips, lots of new friends, lots of new experiences. We dropped off the forum for a few years when the Jag was running so we need to post some images and results from that time period.

Where are we now?

The engine that is now going in to the car is it's 3rd. This one is finally a Jag V12 after a couple of Ford Cleveland V8s. While there were 2 engines that preceded this one, they went through at least 3 rebuilds that I can remember but the real number is probably 5 if you count the initial build and the rebuild after the last run - which would have been the 236mph record run. This will be the first V12 with another already in the planning and parts acquisition stage.

More to come with the V12 build.

Regards
Lynchy
Charliebrown

Post by Charliebrown »

Hi Lynchy, Big Gaz,
Yes that was me re the pics. On my ipad, it displays each image as the word "image" with no possibility of looking at the pics.
On my Android phone. A Samsung Note 9, I have to press and hold the word "image", and then it crashes to this message:

This site can’t be reached

i73.photobucket.com’s DNS address could not be found. Diagnosing the problem.

I've tried to fix it a heap of different ways, googled the shit out of it, however I tried it on a PC at work and they all work fine.
I'm sure that there's a way to fix it on phones, but I have no idea. I'll just have to view it on the PC at home when she who must be obeyed isn't working on it.

Thanks chaps, can't wait to hear the 12 cylinders on full howl.
Charliebrown
DLRA #1760
Don’t hope for the best, go and get it.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

hey fellas, its good to see this forum being stired into action again,, its better than that facebook thing, where if you want to check something out from one year, let alone 16 years ago, forget it!!
Last edited by Stayt`ie on Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Rob

Post by Rob »

My Photobucket account is long gone. I deleted all the images and killed the account when they went in for corporate extortion.

I'll sit down and sift through the posts I put up with images and try to marry them up with images again. I didn't give this thread a thought when I ditched it sorry. They are spread across a couple of computers, possibly one old HDD as well but I'll still have them here. Any videos should still work.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Charliebrown

Post by Charliebrown »

Hey Gaz, Lynchy, Rob,
I just completed the full read of the build thread. What an awesome story, and that’s just the tiniest part of it that I could read about, the real life version would be life changing. Loved it.
Long story short, all the photos woke up at my end for some reason, no idea. Obviously Robs pics aren’t there anymore which is a shame (me only discovering that Australian salt racing existed in the last 2 or 3 years also a shame too).
Having met Big Gaz (usually in the showers at the DLRA camp this year, nothing weird there) it was good to put a face to the name and the story, even if I did see the face first, and then the story only this week.
A little question about ballast. Did you find that the ballast increased the performance re stronger contact with the 🌏 earth from pure weight re traction and/or you found the ability to get the weight distribution where you liked it and/or safer aero for the vehicle and/or all of the above? Any general advice on ballast from your experience?
Also, please please please post some photos/videos as Lynchy said from your time running the Shaguar. It’s been epic just reading about it, I can only imagine the goosebumps whenever I get to see her in the flesh, or steel, or rust, what? Jaguar?
Charliebrown
DLRA #1760
Don’t hope for the best, go and get it.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Having met Big Gaz (usually in the showers at the DLRA camp
That's where Gaz usually meets people.... :shock:

I think the issue you had with the images was just a caching thing. The images were mostly blocked by Photobucket. I subscribed just to get them back online. Rob's images are gone for now but if he gets us a CD of them I'll try to plug them back in.

Re the ballast - the car has only ever run with the ballast in place so no before/after comparison. The weight has been located to optimise the front/rear distribution and the car is weight biased to the front. There was post about that sometime back.

Here's a link to the record run to keep things going:

[flash=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7L0-DIkw70[/flash]

You can just make out at the end of the run where Gaz pulls the chute. He had hurt the motor but didn't know it at this point but the rear end was just starting to get a little loose. You can hear him say "well I don't know what happened then". That was the end of that day. It may have been a cross wind?

Sharing a personal story - my wife had been diagnosed with breast cancer a bit before Speed Week 2015 and was due to go in to surgery on the Wednesday of that week. I was the Chief Timer at this stage and didn't think I'd be able to go at all. She let me go anyway but I had to be home Tuesday night. I flew in to Adelaide and had a very quick drive to the lake on the Sunday, made sure the timing gear was all set up properly that night and was in the timing van the next day, Monday. Gaz broke the 200mph barrier on the Monday and I was able to drive across to the pits with a print out of the timing slip and give it to him. On the Tuesday, I had to leave by 10:00am I think, in order to get back to Adelaide airport and get home to the Sunshine Coast. When I left, Gaz was queued up with about 5 cars in front of him. He had his dad and Big Dave to help him get everything together. I'm not sure how I found about the run but I knew when I got to Adelaide airport and got to tell a few people. Got home OK and surgery went well the next day and Liz is still doing great 6 years on.

Like I said - it's been 16 years and lots has happened in those 16 years.

More to come!
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

In 2015 it got very loose as I passed the 4 mile marker and pulled the chute real quick. I remember thinking that it felt too far gone, the same as my 2013 spin at 195mph. Fortunately the chute pulled it straight just in time. Mark Dunn's lakester ran just after me and it got loose as well. Trent Clare ran their lakester just after that and we all know how horrifying that was to all of us especially for the Clare family. Whether it was a random buffeting cross wind we will never know know but everyone agrees that the heavier the better, especially up front.
The time Paul and I spent in scrutineering at Bonneville was very well spent but we learnt how important CP and CG was. The club decided to recommend racers calculate both and mark the positions on the car as well as incorporate that into the rule book. I believe that is vitally important for anything over 200mph.
That said I built weight into the car from the design stage. It is difficult to add it later safely and in the correct place. SCTA fast cars are generally over 2,300 to 2,500 kgs . That means over 600kg on each front wheel. Your trolley jack sure feels that.
A few of us bought a set of corner scales that we share as you can see on previous pages here. I put the weight in for safety reasons and traction came after that.
GAZ