Shaguar

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

Lynchy

Re: Shaguar

Post by Lynchy »

A bit more of an update:

Gaz has been working on the RHS headlight bucket area where he is going to put the oil filter. The picture below is of the RHS but he is also working on the LHS where the oil reservoir will sit. You can also see the V12 sitting in place. The latest news is that there will be an engine plate attached to the front of the engine.

Gaz was also taking to Rob Cranfield recently. Rob offered to 3D print the exhaust profile blocks that will be used to mock up the exhaust. He has done them in 1 5/8" diameter. It is going to take quite a few of them to mock up 12 cylinders.

Nice orange colour as well. Here is a picture of another V12 being built up in the US using the same blocks.

BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I have a number of different things on the boil at the moment. Between the dry sump pump, engine plate, Chev LSA harmonic balancer, ribbed belt pulleys for alternator and blowers (in the future) and ignition trigger wheel I am trying to fit in the extractor fabrication. Rob Cranfield's ability with 3D printing software will prove invaluable as six pipes a side exiting through the inner guard will be a tangle of 1 5/8" pipe. The plastic 3D mock up gives a chance to plan it out quickly and i will only have to buy the bends I need rather than having to buy a box full of assorted bends.
GAZ
Rob

Post by Rob »

The 3D printed part Paul shared above was a failed test piece to check for print quality at this orientation. The parts are printing much nicer in their re-oriented position.

Quick in progress video with a couple of stills at the start, this is only a short run due to the colour change to be sure they print ok rather than lose a full run.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/9Z0oCTbApCE [/youtube]

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

No photos for this update but I'm sure they will be forthcoming.

I spoke with Gaz mid week and he is still hard at work despite lockdown in Sydney.

He has been lining up work on the fuel rails with Newby in Sydney as they can work on them while locked down. He's ordered the injectors which are 2400cc units x 12 required. These are supposed to be very methanol friendly and capable of 220 lbs of fuel flow per hour. Newby will be setting the fuel rail up for these. He's also been looking at exhaust gas temp sensors and management of them by the Emtron engine management system.

He will be starting on the exhausts as soon as he has the engine/gearbox mocked up in the correct final position. He has got the front of the motor right but has to rig up a gearbox mount. He has a couple of 6 into 1 collectors that get used on Barra motors and other high powered Japanese 6s. One of these per side.

He's also picked up a sheet of 5mm thick stainless that will be cut to size and used as a belly pan under the engine/gearbox. He has previously built a pan under the rest of the car but this section was not completed. The extra weight up front and down low will help the COG & COP.

More to come.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Photo update!

Gaz wanted to check out the coolant flow with a V12 engine so decided to pull one out of the parts cars that he has. As you can see it was a little rusty to begin with:

So he undid the gearbox cross member bolts and this is what happened:

It's turned into a banana!

So he eventually unbolted it and cut any electrical or mechanical connections to the rest of the car and got it out. His Dad wanted to hook the front end up to a tractor and rip it in half to provide better access. Would have made for a better picture!

I'll post a video of what he then did with the engine - he wanted to check out what the coolant flow through the block and heads was like in order to work it in to the race car design. He has 2 x electric pumps for coolant and was thinking of having a header tank on the firewall flowing back to the radiator. To be decided.

Enjoy - Lynchy
Rob

Post by Rob »

Gaz has been flow testing the V12 using a firefighting pump.

First one with all 6 outlets open.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btcgxXSHRac

From Gaz : Coolant flow through head with rear welch plug removed. This was just a test with a firefighter pump to see the difference in water flow from front to rear of the head. Clearly with no restriction, there isn't much difference.
https://youtu.be/-IiIN7ZzPDs
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Jaguar V12 engines are known for getting hot when under load, whether they have been maintained properly or not. Air flow through the radiator and engine bay is clearly a problem because of clearance. Shaguar won't have airflow problems whilst on a run but will have heat sink issues once I pull the chute and shut down the engine. Airflow will continue till I come to a stop off track and intend the two Meziere electric water pumps to continue running through the DAvies Craig EWP controllers.
Jaguar V12's have a lot of friction through the block and heads so maintaining pressure and flow out of the heads is critical, that is the reason for the above 'agricultural' tests. Just to support my theory really.
More details on the coolant system to come.
GAZ
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Time for another update. Been a bit slow with these due to work...

Gary sent through a layout of the engine plate for the front of the V12. This is the final version of the motor with the twin superchargers:

In the layout you can see the dry sump pump, the two superchargers, the belt layout and the new high current alternator.

Gaz has also received back the rear end with the Hone overdrive fitted up and new gears:

The new gears are 3.25:1 resulting in a selectable final drive of 3.25:1 for cruising up to the start line and the overdrive ratio of 2.28:1 for top speed. The old ratio was 2.47:1 so we are hoping this will result in a similar top speed while using less revs. Gary has fitted it into the car and has measured up for the tailshaft. He's also sent the tailshaft in for shortening.

Other stuff is happening - he's looking at removing the lead ballast from behind the diff and fitting a water tank to back up the cooling system. It will hold about 30-40 litres and will have pipes and pumps back to the radiator. The radiator is still being planned. It looks like it will be around 600 wide but maybe only 400 high (which is the reason for the extra tank). It will, of course, be from Norm at Aussie Desert Cooler.

Thant's all for now.
Jay S Jay

Post by Jay S Jay »

Hi all
I have a question that is slightly off the topic. In the current December 2021 issue of Street Machine magazine, there are 2 lost photos of OVAKIL at Oran Park drags in 1986. This is the same day as the challenge between the twin turbo Jaguar, the Cat Killer blown Monaro of Barry Birt and other takers. History tells us that the Jaguar didn't turn up and the Monaro was the quickest of the challengers on the day.
My question is, Was Gary and OVAKIL there to to compete in the challenge and if so, why wasn't this mentioned before?
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Hi Jay

Yep, saw the photos, brought back a few memories... I think a Cortina was the winner on the day??

No - not there to take part in the challenge although that would have been good and the LSR jag wasn't even thought of back then. The twin turbo Jag still exists and has passed through a few owners. The original owner was mooted to be Kerry Packer. Seriously doubt it had the claimed 1000hp.

Gaz lives not far from Oran Park so he got out there a few times. I went with him to a Rover meeting there just before it shut down for good. My brother had a race with Gaz there once on the strip - Ovakil versus a 351 F100. Ovakil won unsurprisingly... the Effy flopped about like an untrained seal when he dropped the clutch. So much body flex!

Ovakil still pops up regularly in Street Machine and will be back on the streets sometime. We keep bugging him to throw the engine back in but it is never that simple and a few other things will have to be done at the same time. The Jag is priority and Big Gaz's sanity too!
Last edited by Lynchy on Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Also - doesn't look like the Jag will make it again this year. Just too much to do and only one Gary to do it...

We will still be going down in the bus and manning the lake entry for the week.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

"We will still be going down in the bus and manning the lake entry for the week."

Yeah - that didn't happen either.......
Jay S Jay

Post by Jay S Jay »

Hi guys
It's been a while with no updates. What's the status of the V12 and V8 engine or anything else?
Jay S Jay

Post by Jay S Jay »

Any updates?