Tyre Shaving

Moderator: DLRA

DirtyDave

Tyre Shaving

Post by DirtyDave »

Is there any one in Australia that does Tyre shaving,
And any input from a Bike racer that has run a slick and a treaded street tyre if there was any noticable handling diifrence in the two.

Also is there an oz supplier/ agent of ceramic wheel bearings.
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
Marty Hicks

Post by Marty Hicks »

Andrew Rogers ran a slick on the front of his turbo GS. Didnt fare to well, looked very second hand after three runs or so.
Joe Amo recommended the hard touring tyres for longevity and He seems to get up a fair speed without any obvious handling issues.........
MEMBER #439
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Dave ,my enquiries a few years ago were not successful in finding anyone in Australia who shaved tyres , I was tempted in getting some from the states but it was not cost effective ,all the really fast attempts to date have used premium brands of sports /touring (harder compounds ) tyres, highest mph to date 165+ , possibly best to heat cycle them first ,Chris Matheson used a racing slick and it looked like he had a lot of problems with traction , no matter what you use if your power application is not smooth expect a wild ride :wink:
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
ben james

Post by ben james »

try stuckey tyre service in brunswick melbourne
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Marty was that a road racing slick or a drag slick i think the drag slick is alot harder,
I've shot first and asked questions later, cause I just had an 18" wheel made,,DOOH !!!! :shock:
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

I have just used what has worked for others, sports/touring .
also read somewhere about Lee Shierts having stability problems he attributed to road racing tires but i can't find the reference on his site.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

I'll have to find an 18" tyre thats if they make one, I've got 17" x 2.25 wheel aswell but wanted to get something nice and light made got this thing about avoiding any gyro effect from a heavy wheel,
Marty Hicks

Post by Marty Hicks »

Dave.............Road racing slick. Ex supersport.
MEMBER #439
firemanjim

Post by firemanjim »

Dave,alot of guys(Altered classes,mostly) in the states use a Goodyear frontrunner type tire for the high speed stuff--might be able to find one in 18".
But Noonan,Amo and all the rest of the motorcycle guys running fast at Bonneville are all on street tires.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Cheers Jim, :D
You mean the motorcycle front runner, 18 x 2.5 drag slick, I can't see how a treaded tyre would have any advantage reguarding traction plus it will create more air resistance on the top turn into the wind, rang around today and can get Z rated 18" sports tyres any way so i still have a choice, but would be good to get it sorted soon as i will be jiggen up my chassis in the next couple of weeks,,,and will be setting up as low as physically possible.
Did you make it to Laguna Seca Jim, I was expecting a NaNaNa NAA report... :lol: Phillip Island was on a couple of weeks ago, its one of a Few Races that goes Free to Air TV during a Sunday afternoon and i bloody missed it, I had a quick scan thru the Bub running sheets and didn't see you name on the list did i miss you or didn't you run. :mrgreen:
firemanjim

Post by firemanjim »

Dave,nobody I have any knowledge of runs drag slicks, and not sure if they are car or bike tires re the frontrunners,just remember seeing them on a few of the altered bikes shooting for 250+ --not that any of em have done it yet. Noonan, Yacoucci, Amo,etc are the top speed boys and all running street tires. A good fender will give way more aero than worrying about tread on a tire.
I did make the Moto-GP at Laguna and it was a great time.
I got one run in at Bubs, managed to break a piston at the top of high gear at about 190.Bike was pulling extremely well and could have been geared higher still.Had spare pistons and pushrods,but bent both valves,so I was done and just helped my friends run. Considered docking my mechanics(my dumb ass) pay but that got me into negative numbers.
Already at work on next years bike--all new from motor,turbo,bodywork,etc.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

g`day dave, check out dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog and mc.bridgestone.co thay list 18"zr rated frount tyers,,,,

mate thats a nice efe you got there, i was at willowbank last weekend for the nationals, pete everett had his two efe`s running, impresive bikes, 8.8`s at over 160 8)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,